cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is too long to get into State/National Parks?

Shadow_Grey
Explorer
Explorer
We will be going to a different camper (Bigger/Longer) in the next 2-4 years or so and was wondering how long is too long to get into the state and National parks?

Actual length vs trailer model length... 386 model is actually 40' long?

Anybody been turned away for having too long a camper after making reservations? How about physically not being able to fit into the site and having to leave or get different site?
'11 F150 XLT Red Candy Met. Ecoboost 4X4 Screw 5.5', Max Tow,Reese R16k 5th wheel hitch,Ride-Rite Air Springs, E Rated Tires, Extang Cover
'13 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 29RES,triple slides,Mor/Ryde suspension, Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder, 16" E rated tires
21 REPLIES 21

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
rfryer wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
rfryer wrote:
At that length you will have a lot of restrictions for sites. They’re out there, but you’ll have to research the campgrounds for size limits and make reservations to ensure you get a spot. The bigger the unit the fewer sites there are for the really big rigs and a smaller RV may take one of them. Or sometimes the sites big enough but the road in is too tight to maneuver. AZ advertises a 35’ limit for the state parks and I’m told some CA park limits are 20’. I’m guessing that’s probably beach sites.

I pull a small TT so it’s never been an issue to me. But I recall an incident in a campground in the Tetons where a big rigs front bumper projected slightly into the road and they asked him to leave and go to the commercial site up the road. With that big a rig I’m guessing you probably want HU’s and that in itself is a limiting factor. For example, there is only one cg each in Yellowstone and the Tetons that have HU’s.
Re: the AZ State campgrounds 35' limit; where did you get your information? I have yet to go to an AZ State campground that didn't have spaces 50 feet or longer for my 41' Voltage. And there were no issues maneuvering through the park. I have been checking various parks on the State website and found that most have no length restrictions. To categorically state that there is a 35' limit is spreading bad information.

My apologies to the OP, azdryheat is right. It's been a few years since I checked the state parks and I remember the advertised 35' limit. But a quick check now shows at least some are unlimited, so disregard my comment about the AZ parks.

Don't forget that not only campgrounds may be length-limited, but some ROADS are length-limited. The Mt. Lemmon Road comes immediately to mind, here in AZ. Have seen a few others when looking for places to camp.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
Michigan it is not an issue. We can get into virtually every park.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make up your mind on what is important to you. No, you can't have the monster trailer & find a site wherever you please.

Stay under 30' & go wherever you like. Lots of sites.

30-35' the number of suitable sites starts to get fewer.

35-40, you are on a rapidly decending slope with sites getting tougher to find with every foot of length.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
rfryer wrote:
At that length you will have a lot of restrictions for sites. They’re out there, but you’ll have to research the campgrounds for size limits and make reservations to ensure you get a spot. The bigger the unit the fewer sites there are for the really big rigs and a smaller RV may take one of them. Or sometimes the sites big enough but the road in is too tight to maneuver. AZ advertises a 35’ limit for the state parks and I’m told some CA park limits are 20’. I’m guessing that’s probably beach sites.

I pull a small TT so it’s never been an issue to me. But I recall an incident in a campground in the Tetons where a big rigs front bumper projected slightly into the road and they asked him to leave and go to the commercial site up the road. With that big a rig I’m guessing you probably want HU’s and that in itself is a limiting factor. For example, there is only one cg each in Yellowstone and the Tetons that have HU’s.
Re: the AZ State campgrounds 35' limit; where did you get your information? I have yet to go to an AZ State campground that didn't have spaces 50 feet or longer for my 41' Voltage. And there were no issues maneuvering through the park. I have been checking various parks on the State website and found that most have no length restrictions. To categorically state that there is a 35' limit is spreading bad information.

My apologies to the OP, azdryheat is right. It's been a few years since I checked the state parks and I remember the advertised 35' limit. But a quick check now shows at least some are unlimited, so disregard my comment about the AZ parks.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
National Parks seem to mostly have a 34 or 35 foot limit. Remember most of these campgrounds were built between 1930 and the 1950's. We have never been asked how long our 5ver is when checking in but reserve america/recreation.gov asks when you make a reservation. If you fit into the spot, then you'll be fine. If you don't they will not move you to a different spot and will not issue a refund.

That's the reason that we limited our search to 5vers 34ft or less when we bought ours. Lassen is one place where length would not matter. Yosemite would be critical on the other hand. You can find photos of the sites on some of these CG which will give more info to work with.

Some Florida State Parks would be a problem and some would not, it depends on the age of the park. Roads would be a real problem in many of them.

One other factor: how petty and officious the park rangers/cg hosts want to be. Most are fine but you will run into Barney Fife types that will harass over every petty thing they can find. Like your camper extending past the paved area for example. We ran into those at the North Rim once and at Lassen. The Lassen problem was caused by one of the campers complaining that we ran our generator during generator hours (at 4 PM for example). She finally left and the host was fine after that.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Shadow_Grey wrote:
We will be going to a different camper (Bigger/Longer) in the next 2-4 years or so and was wondering how long is too long to get into the state and National parks?

Every modern State Park in Michigan I've been to is pretty much unlimited on length. Never fails I'll see a double tow, big ford or dodge diesel towing a 40+ ft 5er which is towing a power boat of some sorts.

I'm still kicking myself for not having my camera phone. the tow that drove right by my house on labor day: dodge diesel towing a 5er towing a travel trailer.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
40' long pulled with a 1 ton dually, full bed, crew cab. Have only run into one site with a problem, it measured long enough but was L shaped. Just called the rangers office and moved to the next site down. Does take planing, and I always call and talk to someone in person who can tell me yes or no. Get the unit you want. Be happy.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know where you got that idea?

The overall width restriction is the same, our 8.5 ft or their 2.6 meter, 102 inches. That was also part of the agreed NAFTA standards for all of N America. It applies to Federal/Interstate highways. Each individual state has the option of different limits on their local/state roads. Of course, oversize loads are allowed, with special permits.

Shadow_Grey wrote:
I assume that with the bigger campers that are 8'6" or a smidgen wider you cannot get into Canada anyway?
Jim

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
rfryer wrote:

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Shadow_Grey
Explorer
Explorer
I assume that with the bigger campers that are 8'6" or a smidgen wider you cannot get into Canada anyway?
'11 F150 XLT Red Candy Met. Ecoboost 4X4 Screw 5.5', Max Tow,Reese R16k 5th wheel hitch,Ride-Rite Air Springs, E Rated Tires, Extang Cover
'13 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 29RES,triple slides,Mor/Ryde suspension, Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder, 16" E rated tires

petendoll
Explorer
Explorer
We camped all across the USA, Canada and Alaska. We had a 30 foot motor home. We could find a spot in almost any National Park, State Park or other. However, if you go over that length things get more difficult. Most National Parks only have a few campsites that accommodate 40 feet. They are always filled fast. Get there early and you should find a spot. Later in the day and the biggest ones are gone.

Our National Park campgrounds were built for another generation of campers. They are outdated for today's motor homes and campers. Canada has beautiful National Park campgrounds. It makes you a bit ashamed of ours.

We do lots of boondocking also. Going smaller will get you the best boondocks.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Our 25 footer has it's limitations in our neck of the woods.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
We have found private campgrounds that were almost too tight for our 32' FW. No just thier sites, but also thier roads
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
what's too big varies by locations and timing. Although most of the National/State Parks have overall length limits, what I find is that many of them have a couple of spaces that can accommodate the larger rigs. The question is, will one of those few larger spaces be available when you check in. If you avoid weekends & holidays, and check in early on a weekday, your chances are better.
Jim