cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What size 5th wheel plate should I get?

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Recently purchased a 3500 series Chevy. Vin indicates that gross is just under 20,000 max wt capability.
My question is what is the best wt rating to go with. I'm looking at a 16,000 rated plate used. We haven't purchase a fiver yet, but will be soon.
We don't want to wait till to we get the camper to buy a plate especially as this plate is hardly used and the price is right.

So I guess the question is what size plate(weight wise)do you use?
"You never fail until you stop trying!!"
My advice is free but I do consider donations
12 REPLIES 12

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
I must be missing something here, if the Combined Gross is 19500, that truck is probably around 8000 lbs easy ready to tow, that doesn't leave much for an RV. And agree if the previous owner was pulling 20,000 he was stressing everything on that truck.

Yeah Duck should have said 20000 GCWR (truck and trailer) as those old trucks didn't have a very high tow rating and are really down on hp/torque compared to even todays smallblock gazzers.

Plate doesn't describe a 5th wheel rv hitch either. Wrong terminology creates lots of confusion. Now if all he needs is the top plate then SAF Holland lite series would be a good choice for his truck.

I towed for a living with several old 454/manual trannies in the carburetor/throttle body/early Vortec era. A 12k trailer will be a load for the OP old 454.
The 454 can be modded for much more towing power but todays costs to do so would make it prohibitive.

A 16k-18k 5th wheel hitch with 4 way pivot in the brand you like best would be my choice. I would look at the Anderson system.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

KeithAS
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 16K hitch in our 3500 for our 11995 GVWR 5ver. With the 5ver loaded to around 11,500, we are a few hundred over the truck's GVWR.
2010 Dodge 3500 SLT, 6.7 CTD, SRW, 4WD, SB, Auto
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I must be missing something here, if the Combined Gross is 19500, that truck is probably around 8000 lbs easy ready to tow, that doesn't leave much for an RV. And agree if the previous owner was pulling 20,000 he was stressing everything on that truck.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
24000 lb hitch for my 14000 lb fiver
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
After knowing the truck, the GCVWR, the gas 454, I'm going to say the 16K hitch mentioned in the OP would be well suited to this truck.

Although it did pull 20K, it could not carry the pin weight of a FW, even close to that.

Jerry

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Roman Duck wrote:
The TV is a Chevy 3500 dually with 4 wheel drive. air bags on rear axle, Gear Vendors over and under add on, with a gas 454, 8ft bed with extended cab. GCWR is 19,500. We asked a local dealer to check with the Vin.

I guess we need to find out what is the heaviest 5ver out there.
It's a 1990 in like new condition. Last owner towed a 20,000 lb equipment trailer with it. claimed to have no issues, driving the truck I completely believe him .

So what's the heavy fifthwheel on the market?

the bear II wrote:
For your truck it would be a maximum of 16,575 lbs. That is the heaviest 5th wheel you would be able to tow safely with that truck. It's not so much being able to tow heavy but doing it safely. You need to stay under the gross of your tow vehicle.

Well a little lost here The Bear II. :h

OP stated the GCVWR of 19,500, likely being a 1990, pulling a 20,000# equipment trailer was likely really stretching it! Even with a Gear Vendor under drive you will be crawling up hills with the engine screaming near red line. I would say at most 12,000# to 12,500# GVWR on the 5er would be max.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
For your truck it would be a maximum of 16,575 lbs. That is the heaviest 5th wheel you would be able to tow safely with that truck. It's not so much being able to tow heavy but doing it safely. You need to stay under the gross of your tow vehicle.

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
The TV is a Chevy 3500 dually with 4 wheel drive. air bags on rear axle, Gear Vendors over and under add on, with a gas 454, 8ft bed with extended cab. GCWR is 19,500. We asked a local dealer to check with the Vin.

I guess we need to find out what is the heaviest 5ver out there.
It's a 1990 in like new condition. Last owner towed a 20,000 lb equipment trailer with it. claimed to have no issues, driving the truck I completely believe him .

So what's the heavy fifthwheel on the market?

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
You do not mention what year 3500, or if SRW/DRW. It is best to buy a hitch to fit the trucks capacity. What is the payload of truck? If a SRW, a quality 16K hitch will likely work. An 18k hitch would be plenty.

A DRW 3500 could use a heavier hitch.

Jerry

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Great! we didn't know if a 16,000 lb plate was considered heavy duty enough.
we hope to get the biggest 5ver for our money, we were looking at 38 to 40 footers. we're in the early stages of looking, but ran arcross the used plate and thought it might of been heavy duty enough.
We need to zero in on the weight of the larger fivers in order to get a plate that can move all

Thanks Bear, for your response; it's really appreciated
And thanks to all who can offer positive insights

I have a 18,000 pound rated hitch , for my 16,500 pound fifth wheel..

Like stated , as long as the Hitch is rated for MORE than the trailer , your good.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
You want to go with a hitch that is rated higher than the 5th wheels gross.
20,000 lb hitch would be OK but a 26,000lb would be better.