cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When to winterize in the SW

DrtEMaxChvy
Explorer
Explorer
Living in NM i am curious when most of the SW folks end up winterizing. I am thinking prior to the second week of November.
Thoughts?
2014 Silveraydo 2500 LML
: Fass 150 Lift Pump, Tuned, Firestone Airbags/incab controller, AFE intake, MBRP down pipe

2016 Jayco 29.5 BHDS 34'
25 REPLIES 25

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
I do the same as NMDriver... For me just getting down to 32 degrees is not going to be a bother especially when camping if it is going to warm back up the next morning.. Its those couple of days in the high 20's that freezes things up hard for my OFF-RoAD trailer...

Using the blow out method works fine for us since most of our camping is OFF-ROAD and back off the trails alot... It only takes 5-10 minutes to winterize using the drain the big tanks and blow-out the inside lines method...

My problem is always finding fresh water after I drain my out haha... I have saved as much water as I can in jeri-cans a few times and keep it inside with us where it is abit warmer over night...

It really doesn't get below freezing for extended periods much here in the Northern Neck of Virginia area.. Of course with all of the weird climate changes on-going this too may change here locally... We are having 95 degree days here in Sep now... I may have mowed my yard for the last time already a couple of weeks back due to it dying from heat...

Roy Ken

Those that use "air" to purge water lines, are you using a "oil less" air compressor?
2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM

DavinD
Explorer
Explorer
I don't winterize
2018 Coachman Chaparral 381RD

TV - 2013 Ford F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 Short Bed

luvlabs
Explorer
Explorer
I live in New Mexico and we get freezing temps. I winterize by heading to the SE (not a fan of AZ). I would do the standard winterization if we stayed here.
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (sold)
2012 Tiffin Allegro 32CA (traded)
2012 Honda Fit

PhoneDude_8289
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Central Texas if the forecast is for the mid 20's for several days I'll blow out the lines, pull the water filter and open the low point drains. RV is at a storage lot with no electricity. We camp off and on year round. Over seven years doing this on three different RV's works for us.
8289WS
Ram 2500 TCD SB 4WD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
kyle86 wrote:
So if you are living out of the RV and using the water, tanks, and furnace regularly, how low is okay to go before worries? Doe sleaving the focet dripping like in a house an option? My wife and I are planning to full time out of the RV during this winter.

Really depends on your RV. If you have one that has heater pads on the tanks, that will be able to stand much colder temps than one without. SEARCH is your friend; check for "winter camping" and see what posts you find. Lots and lots of tips and advice from those who have done it.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

kyle86
Explorer
Explorer
So if you are living out of the RV and using the water, tanks, and furnace regularly, how low is okay to go before worries? Doe sleaving the focet dripping like in a house an option? My wife and I are planning to full time out of the RV during this winter.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
pconroy328 wrote:
Last year, I tossed a small space heater inside and it kept the inside a toasty 50*
Not sure if you mean while stored, or living in it. I can't imagine 50 being considered 'toasty' for living! ๐Ÿ™‚
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Like you - up here it'll be below freezing at night and then mid-70's the next day. Since we're going to try to extend the season, I'll do some combination of blowing the lines out w/ compressed air and leaving the heat on.

Last year, I tossed a small space heater inside and it kept the inside a toasty 50* while it was in the 20's outside.

DrtEMaxChvy
Explorer
Explorer
Well I have a couple of events in November with our horse non profit helping veterans and special needs so I am debating just dry camping or going full on legit. Also it would be the last major camp of the season so doing a full on camp would be nice. Trailer is rated from 0-100 as its a 2016 Jayco
2014 Silveraydo 2500 LML
: Fass 150 Lift Pump, Tuned, Firestone Airbags/incab controller, AFE intake, MBRP down pipe

2016 Jayco 29.5 BHDS 34'

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Whenever the forecasts call for temps to fall to upper 20's or below. However if it is an early,short cold snap keep in mind that it might only stay cold for an hour or so so you might delay by leaving the furnace on very low.
Jayco-noslide

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
We're in Albuquerque and I usually blow out the water lines in early November. I just watch the weather forecasts and blow out the lines before we have a hard freeze. Just takes a few minutes. I keep the tanks drained unless I need fresh water in the tank for an upcoming trip. A little antifreeze in the p-traps and toilet and I'm done.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
kyle86 wrote:
If you're livng out of your rv what do you do? Have to use the bathroom/shower and use the faucets. What is the routine?
Keep the heat on.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
depends on what elevation you're at (NM varies widely) and whether you're using the RV. I have a winter ranch in southern NM and I never winterize or drain either of my RV's there. I keep a small space heater on in the water bay. It gets down in the 20's regularly, but only for a few hours; its sunny and 60 during the daytime.
I don't winterize because I use my RV's all winter for short trips all around the SW and then return to the ranch for a break to plan the next trip.

DrtEMaxChvy wrote:
Living in NM i am curious when most of the SW folks end up winterizing. I am thinking prior to the second week of November.
Thoughts?
Jim

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
kyle86 wrote:
If you're livng out of your rv what do you do? Have to use the bathroom/shower and use the faucets. What is the routine?

Disconnect the water hose and drain it. Keep the heater going inside and it keeps the fresh tank and all the lines warm. I have so many air leaks in my RV that I suspect I keep the whole area warm.

I have only been caught in real cold weather a couple of times while in the RV but if you are living in it the heater should keep everything from freezing.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat