cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which balance beads where to get installed near Houston, TX

crewstx
Explorer
Explorer
I want to use balance beads in my new G614 tires but I do not know which beads to use or where to get them installed. The dynabeads supplier in NY says that I need the larger beads for an RV and they will not go through the valve stem and should be installed by someone experienced with them so as to not get the sealant gunk inside the tire and stick to beads.

Which beads are you using by brand and size and how were they installed? If I need an experienced installer, do you know of one near Houston, Tx. ?
Charles & Elaine Crews, Cindy & Molly - 2 Golden Retrievers
29RLTS '07 Jayco 5th Wheel, '07 Dodge 2500HD, Pullright hitch
18 REPLIES 18

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Premium airsoft beads. Been using them for around 5 years. Before that used the powder from Rickson tires.
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
crewstx wrote:
I want to use balance beads in my new G614 tires but I do not know which beads to use or where to get them installed. The dynabeads supplier in NY says that I need the larger beads for an RV and they will not go through the valve stem and should be installed by someone experienced with them so as to not get the sealant gunk inside the tire and stick to beads.

Which beads are you using by brand and size and how were they installed? If I need an experienced installer, do you know of one near Houston, Tx. ?

Research -
Centramatics (located in TX)
and
Balance Masters (CA)

You can find info (at least for Centramatics) on YouTube.

Nothing *inside* the tire/s.

Remove all external weights. None needed.
(No *internal* beads or powder)

Many big rigs run Centramatics - I tried them, but they didn't leave enough thread exposed (in my opinion) for the lug nuts.
Returned them - no problem.

Went to Balance Masters.

Very Satisfied - Excellent product!..:C

YMMV

~

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
What are balance beads. Never heard of them.

X2 Never heard of them & sounds like they are worthless. I have 5 Trailers, one truck & 5 cars. Another gemick to get your hard earned $.

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
Luke Porter wrote:
My experience is my truck was never as smooth after installing beads.

sorry, don't quite sure I understand what you said.

better or worse after installing beads?
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
My experience is my truck was never as smooth after installing beads.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
artguys wrote:
dezl_r has it right...come down here to Kemah so I can look you in the eye and again on this site , and this is for everyone, never allow anything to be put inside your tires. The liners in the modern day tires are not as robust as they once were. And for that matter even when they were more robust it shouldn't have been done.

ok.. Next time I'm over that way, I'll send you a note.
But we are allowed to disagree, and still respect each others opinion.
The OP asked where, and someone asked what.. so I gave the data that I personally have, and shared my experience.
I carry an extra bag of beads in the truck in case I need to get a tire changed someplace.

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:

Thanks for the great explanation. Sounds interesting and would be great to see them work in real time. Happy camping.

really nothing to 'see'. you could drive next to my dually and FW
but you couldn't tell I was using them.

but drive the truck down the road and its amazing the smooth feel.

I finally tried this after trying to resolve a shimmy on my 08 dually,
and having multiple places balance the tires, including road force.
Best $50 I ever spent. after wasting a couple hundred on static balancing.

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen the beads work great and then on the other hand be a nightmare! Use what's reccomended for your size and they do make special cores for your valve stem to prevent them from sticking.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
sdetweil wrote:
Halmfamily wrote:

glass/ceramic/... beads (small round balls, from power sized to golf balls) there are even metal tubes mounted on the outside of the tire/wheel with weights that move around (like little lead shot balls)
great youtube here balance ring demonstration
bead demo

they ARE the weights and and will move to where they are needed due to centrifugal force. and some mud to one size of the wheel, the beads move to the other side. balancing the weight.. the mud wears off, they spread back out again, all naturally and realtime.

bigrigs use them all the time, hard to balance those big monster tires.
the beds also account for all the rotating mass not just the tire and wheel.

the finer power type have a tendency to get caught in the valve stem and keep the valve from closing. they can also get wet (poor air fill water filter), and clump..

these bigger ones do not clump. and do not stick in the valve stem cause they are bigger than the stem opening.

less bounce means less heat, less heat means less wear, less wear means longer life, and more comfortable ride.

Thanks for the great explanation. Sounds interesting and would be great to see them work in real time. Happy camping.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
dezl_r has it right...come down here to Kemah so I can look you in the eye and again on this site , and this is for everyone, never allow anything to be put inside your tires. The liners in the modern day tires are not as robust as they once were. And for that matter even when they were more robust it shouldn't have been done.

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
dezl_dr wrote:
I've tried them on a fleet at work. I think they are worthless, at best they just roll around in there and maybe plug up your valve stem check valve.
At worst they get wet and stick together all on one side.

Just spin balance them.

yes, the very small ones can clump. and stick in the valve stem.

they do not 'just roll around', eventually centrifugal force will make the hold still on the inside of the tire.

they do move around a lot below 35 mph.. but you couldn't tell at that low speed.

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:

glass/ceramic/... beads (small round balls, from power sized to golf balls) there are even metal tubes mounted on the outside of the tire/wheel with weights that move around (like little lead shot balls)
great youtube here balance ring demonstration
bead demo

they ARE the weights and and will move to where they are needed due to centrifugal force. and some mud to one size of the wheel, the beads move to the other side. balancing the weight.. the mud wears off, they spread back out again, all naturally and realtime.

bigrigs use them all the time, hard to balance those big monster tires.
the beds also account for all the rotating mass not just the tire and wheel.

the finer powder type have a tendency to get caught in the valve stem and keep the valve from closing. they can also get wet (poor air fill water filter), and clump..

these bigger ones do not clump. and do not stick in the valve stem cause they are bigger than the stem opening.

less bounce means less heat, less heat means less wear, less wear means longer life, and more comfortable ride.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

skeetshooter
Explorer
Explorer
I have had them in my H114 tires and removed them. The reason...the tires went flat due to fowling of the valve stems. Not worth the hassle to me. Just my .02.
SkeetShooter
SkeetShooter
2014 DRV Mobile Suite 36 TKRB3
2010 Ford F-350 Longbed SD Diesel DRW 4X2
20K Reese Hitch,
Good Sam Life Member