cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Will these Sailuns fit?

Houstonkid
Explorer
Explorer
I know, yet another tire thread. My concern though is I may have to order these tires so I want to know if they will work ok. My current tires are the 235/80/16. Should the exact replacement size Sailun work? I have read so much lately it is mind boggling.

My trailer is relatively light +-11,000lbs, with a TW of 2460
26 REPLIES 26

Houstonkid
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Houstonkid wrote:
Thank you all for your help and getting me through this. I did measure my axles the other day and they are 33" C-C. With that being said, I shouldn't have any issues with the 235/85/16 since I can't find the 80 in the Firestone Trans HT? I like the Firestones, LT's at a decent price.

For your type of service they will server you well. Chris

Thank you very much for you input on this thread Chris. I haven't been able to respond to them all but I did read all of your posts.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Houstonkid wrote:
Thank you all for your help and getting me through this. I did measure my axles the other day and they are 33" C-C. With that being said, I shouldn't have any issues with the 235/85/16 since I can't find the 80 in the Firestone Trans HT? I like the Firestones, LT's at a decent price.

For your type of service they will server you well. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Drifter1959
Explorer
Explorer
Houstonkid wrote:
I really don't want to get into replacing wheels also. My trailer is lighter weight, we are not full time and rarely travel over 4-5 hours for a camping trip. With that being said, are the Maxxis still a viable option if my wheels are not rated for 110 psi?

Absolutely the better choice of the E rated ST tires IMHO.
Mule: 2016 RAM Mega Cab Dually 4X4, RAM Puck w/ Demco Hijacker 21K Autoslide, Laramie, 6.7, Aisin, 4.10's, 51 Gal Midship Titan Fuel Tank.
Wagon: 2015 Jayco Pinnacle 38FLSA, Sailun G's, Center Point Air Suspension, 572 Watts Solar w/4 T-145s.

Houstonkid
Explorer
Explorer

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Houstonkid wrote:
I need to go look, I do know axle spacing is 33".

LRG? Load Range G? As in they will be overkill?

Yes, if you have blow max tires, it is a good idea to dump them. I have a personal performance for LT tires on trailer when they are available. If you have 33" center to center on your axles and want tires you will never wear out, then put LT235/85/16E Ribs or R250's on it. I ran Ribs for 6.5 years and 40K+ and then R250's or my 5200 pound axles for 4.5 years until I sold it. Never worried about tire failures. Both keep air very well and very seldom needed additional air.

The all steel ply Ribs or R250's prvide a very stable trailer.

You just have to get past stupid tire stores that think trailer need cheap ST tires.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Way overkill for your trailer. I have them on mine because it's over 15k going down the road.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

Houstonkid
Explorer
Explorer
I need to go look, I do know axle spacing is 33".

LRG? Load Range G? As in they will be overkill?

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
TxGearhead wrote:
hbillsmith wrote:
Make sure your wheels or OK to run 110psi. That size as an ST like the Maxxis 8008 version is only 80psi. The Sailuns need 110psi for 75mph and higher load limits.

Supposedly Sailun is Ok with running them at 80PSI as long as they are within the load range for that pressure.
There's an email quote from a Sailun rep on keystonerv.org about 6-10 weeks ago.

Correct. We replaced WestLake load range Es with Sailun load range Gs. The trailer (all types of trailers) dealer/expert than mounted the tires asked how much weight I was carrying on each wheel and told me to run the Sailuns at 100 PSI rather than 110. Many tire manufacturers publish load and inflation charts for this purpose. Prior to purchasing the tires, I confirmed that the wheels were rated for 150 PSI.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Tundra2084
Explorer
Explorer
Maxxis are great tires. had them on our last 5th wheel and loved them. presemt trailer is heavier so we had the sailuns installed

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maxxis tires are not in the same league as the Sailuns. However, the weight of your trailer opens you up to many very good LT tires. The LT245/75R16E rated at 3042 pounds would provide you the capacity you need with plenty of extra capacity. The Firestone Transforce HT is very reasonable priced. The Bridgestore Duravis R250 and Michelin XPS Ribs are at the top of the list.

Chris

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, the Maxxis would be a great plan b if you you don't go with Sailun. I replaced the OEM junk on a previous Cougar and our current Montana as soon as I got them home with the Maxxis. Haven't had a minutes trouble. I was leaning to Sailuns and called Tredit Wheel Co. about the pressure issue. They said do not run the wheel higher than 80psi, it could crack around the hub.
I had Discount Tire order the Maxxis. Took a couple days to get them.
You might also look at the new Carlisle Trail "HD". I haven't heard any negative reviews. I just put them on a utility trailer.
I think you would be good running the Sailuns at 80psi if you do the math and are sure they are within load rating. I can't imagine how they would not be.
If you are on the Rodney Crowell side of town, the Discount Tire store on Decker Drive in Baytown has plenty of room for trailers. If you're on the Lyle Lovett side, you're on your own! LOL
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Houstonkid
Explorer
Explorer
I really don't want to get into replacing wheels also. My trailer is lighter weight, we are not full time and rarely travel over 4-5 hours for a camping trip. With that being said, are the Maxxis still a viable option if my wheels are not rated for 110 psi?

Drifter1959
Explorer
Explorer
Paul Clancy wrote:
They are stamped. Generally on the back.

Stamped either 3960 lb or 110 PSI.

When I upgraded, I bought 4 wheels and tires.
Mule: 2016 RAM Mega Cab Dually 4X4, RAM Puck w/ Demco Hijacker 21K Autoslide, Laramie, 6.7, Aisin, 4.10's, 51 Gal Midship Titan Fuel Tank.
Wagon: 2015 Jayco Pinnacle 38FLSA, Sailun G's, Center Point Air Suspension, 572 Watts Solar w/4 T-145s.

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
They are stamped. Generally on the back.