cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Window Awnings

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. Looking for advice on a window awning.

We are adding a window awning ( or 2 ) to our Keystone Everest.
The problem I am having is as follows........

Dometic sells them in 6" incriments. The windows we want to cover are 49" outside of trim to outside of trim, but the closest they sell is 54", which is only adding 5". Everything I have read says add 6" to window measurement for correct size. The next size up is 60", which is way too large.

The windows are together, so I could get a 120" to cover both together with one shade.

I will be getting the Elite, which has the metal weathershield, but I am hesitant due to the length.

My question....... What does everyone think about the side wind bellowing catching it while driving? I am afraid having a large awning on the side will catch the wind easier than 2 smaller ones.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us
7 REPLIES 7

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
Before I made that decision I would find where the studs are to attach the awning supports. Get a stud finder and go around the inside of the trailer to find where the studs are located. You might find what you want for the awning size could change, based on the stud location.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
consider the see-through fabric. My biggest disappointment with the window awnings was the blocked view.

We had the two smaller ones with the metal covers (A&E dometic) and they never billowed on the road.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
If we had it to do over again,we would have had one awning for the two windows.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I suspect I would have a problem with a permanent mounted deployed window awning when in travel mode. I know I would be snagging something on the passenger side with the overhang... I think I would want one that can be rolled out when you setup at the camp sites... Much like you main awning operates but on a smaller scale.

While you are thinking about window awnings - maybe a solar panel on a hinge over the windows might be a good idea for you. They should make great window awnings and you can get some solar power to keep your batteries charged as well...

These would be mounted on a hinge pin and closed down and locked in place when in travel mode.

Just a thought from reading what some others are doing.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
One problem you may run into with the extra length is finding the support to anchor it to. The mfg may send you a "map" of the wall with location of supports
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

ronfisherman
My window awnings are 60" on 48" windows. You will appreciate the extra width as the sun moves across the sky. Here is a picture of 2 of ours.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
well my patio awning was obviously much longer than my window ones so I think you are worrying about nothing. and 5 or 6 inches doesn't seem like a critical measurement to me.
bumpy