Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifth wheel for family

Genesisbegins
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All You Amazing People~

You will have to excuse my excitement! Our family will soon be joining you on the road and i am just giddy! That aside, I am here to get some advice on a fifth wheel. ??

We are hoping to get a fifth wheel that is about 34-36'. Hubby and i been back and forth a bit about what the best situation would be and are still quite indecisive,so we thought we'd ask for some help! Much of our indecisiveness stems from our ignorance in never having owned an RV. We both agree that we like the idea of having a fifth wheel toy hauler,where the beds can be lifted to create space( and I've seen models where the ramp can become a patio...I love that) But our concern is insulation in this area. Are fifth wheel toy-haulers insulated in the section that carries the toys? We don't plan on doing wintering in cold places, but we do plan to go to Canada and Alaska, probably late spring and want to be sure our rig can handle the temp.

We are also looking at 5th wheel bunkhouses. We'd also be open to (actually, would prefer) getting a bunkhouse model without the beds or back configured so that we can build it ourselves. We have about 35k to spend for the fifth wheel (and a separate budget for the tow vehicle) and with the bunkhouse style, optimally our choice would be to get a fifth with "good bones" and fix it the way we want it. Can you recommend older fifth wheel bunkhouses or toy haulers that could work for a full timing family of 4? Or newer models that would be a good fit?

A couple of options I really like:

Ramp/patio
Outdoor shower
Outside kitchen

Things I like, but none are necessary.

We are looking forward to being debt free. But since we plan on doing this indefinitely, would it be better to take a loan and get a newer, sturdy rig or to try to upgrade later?

I am excited to hear your thoughts on this and appreciate your bearing with my novice questions.

Thank You!

Genesis
7 REPLIES 7

Genesisbegins
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to everyone for giving me much to think about.

JM~ thanks for clarifying and the heads up about boot camp. I made that assumption based on the word "Arctic." But I'm clear now, you were primarily talking about construction. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Thanks 2gypsies. This was one of the dilemmas. Any opinions out there on which are the best constructed fifths and fifth toy haulers for full timing?im noting those that are driven by all who are responding. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Traveller II, it helps a lot to hear your experience. Our hope was to pay outright for the rv, but If we end up paying more in the long run due to fulltime usage on a 5th not built for that, and ended up with structural challenges, that cost us just as much or more in time money and headache, than we've missed the mark. Welcomed heads up on the air hitch and suspension.

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
We are looking forward to being debt free. But since we plan on doing this indefinitely, would it be better to take a loan and get a newer, sturdy rig or to try to upgrade later?

I am excited to hear your thoughts on this and appreciate your bearing with my novice questions.

Thank You!

A good used coach a couple years old will likely last as long as a new one at a substantially reduced entry fee. However, you bring up a very good point in that replacement or substantial maintenance costs could be considerable in the full timers budget in a few years of constant use. Going to Alaska I would look hard at the Desert Fox for a toyhauler and the Arctic Fox fifth wheels for durability. There are other issues to consider as well as what you listed: tank sizes, tandem or triple axle and tire sizes, built in generator or not, dinette or table and chairs, interior that is homey or interior that is utilitarian as found in many toyhaulers, seoarate garage if looking at a toyhauler, bathroom or bathroom and a half, and whether you want a washer/dryer. Also, how heavy do you want to go and what tow vehicle do you plan to tow it with? If you are not hauling toys, you might be better suited with a more typical fifth wheel that fits your floor plan. Many of the models have owners groups with webpages. I would spend some quality evenings reading what owners have to say about their coaches. Also, the Escapees webpages are devoted totally to those now full time living in an RV. There is lots of good information there.

For me towing a heavy fifth wheel would require a diesel tow vehicle. Any fifth over around 12,000 pounds gross weight is diesel territory.

Another mention about Escapees forum is. RV boot camp which is a program for beginers that gives all kinds of different information from Full-time RV Insurance to fifth wheel instruction on your trailers systems, on how they operate. Something for you to check on the Escapee Forum. I am looking into that myself. Best of luck.
Scott
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
There's no need to travel gravel roads enroute to Alaska - unless you run into typical road repairs which you probably will. All you have to do is to drive slow and you'll have no problems. Millions have done it in all kinds of RVs.

Longterm - depending on your finances, it would be better to get a higher-end manufacturer in a used model than a cheaper one in a new one. Compare the construction (sidewalls, frame, roof, cabinetry) rather than the overall decorating 'look'. Compare the holding tank sizes. It's also best to find your RV first and then purchase a truck to haul it depending on the weight of the RV. Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Traveler_II
Explorer
Explorer
Our first fiver we bought was a mid priced unit. We travel 6-7 months most years and put in the area of 6-10,000 miles on a year. After about 4 years we were starting to have some problems with the frame and suspension, why our roads and weight put lots of stress on a trailer.

We bought the trailer we have now because the company had a good reputation of building great frames; we added good suspension, tires and brakes. Weโ€™ve also added an air hitch to help reduce pounding from the roads.

My suggestion is if you plan to put some miles on is to get a good used one with a good frame and suspension. Either an air pin or air hitch will help a lot.
2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185
Nights Camped in 2015 - 231
Nights Camped in 2016 - 162

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Low is 38 degrees, we'd still need a 5ft wheel equipt to withstand winter.

I was not suggesting an RV to withstand winter but to withstand the roads. The Northwood Arctic Fox series are built strong compared to most RV's as to both frame and overall construction. They also are well insulated but that to me is a secondary consideration. I guess it depends on how much dirt and gravel roads you plan to travel but I would try to take something that can handle whatever you choose to throw at it.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Genesisbegins
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Jmtandem~

Lots to chew on. Yes, our plan for the tow vehicle is a diesel. If we can get the RV inexpensively enough, we'd enjoy suiting it to our taste...ie, table and chairs or dinette etc. I would love a washer and dryer, but only if its stackable. I don't want an all in one unit. And I don't want a second black water tank to deal with...one, I understand, is plenty!!

Thank you for the heads up about the Escapee's forum. I will certainly pay a visit.

Our plan is to experience Canada and Alaska. I was hoping that didn't mean we had to get a particularly more expensive 5th for that purpose, most of our time will be spent chasing good weather. Those 2 places are in the list of places we want to experience, but it seems your saying that even in the late spring, when we'd be visiting and when the av. Low is 38 degrees, we'd still need a 5ft wheel equipt to withstand winter.

You've given me a couple of unknowns to think about. Thank you.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II

Thank You!

A good used coach a couple years old will likely last as long as a new one at a substantially reduced entry fee. However, you bring up a very good point in that replacement or substantial maintenance costs could be considerable in the full timers budget in a few years of constant use. Going to Alaska I would look hard at the Desert Fox for a toyhauler and the Arctic Fox fifth wheels for durability. There are other issues to consider as well as what you listed: tank sizes, tandem or triple axle and tire sizes, built in generator or not, dinette or table and chairs, interior that is homey or interior that is utilitarian as found in many toyhaulers, seoarate garage if looking at a toyhauler, bathroom or bathroom and a half, and whether you want a washer/dryer. Also, how heavy do you want to go and what tow vehicle do you plan to tow it with? If you are not hauling toys, you might be better suited with a more typical fifth wheel that fits your floor plan. Many of the models have owners groups with webpages. I would spend some quality evenings reading what owners have to say about their coaches. Also, the Escapees webpages are devoted totally to those now full time living in an RV. There is lots of good information there.

For me towing a heavy fifth wheel would require a diesel tow vehicle. Any fifth over around 12,000 pounds gross weight is diesel territory.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.