cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Final Garage Sale!

Penguelephants
Explorer
Explorer
Just had our final garage sale, the rest goes to Amvets, what a liberating and insightful journey this has been so far. Let me just say, the amount of people who offer twenty-five cents for an item is ridiculous! I understand trying to get a bargain, but really? Anyways...

We now have no furniture in the house and I'm sitting at my laptop using our camp chair and picnic table. Our clothes are stacked on the floor against the walls, our beloved canine is confused and our sons Lego collection is long gone and in good hands.

11 days and counting!
The Wandering Penguelephants
10 REPLIES 10

Penguelephants
Explorer
Explorer
We made it through the madness!! We're going to be parked at Dad's house for the next month on a covered pad on shore power/water while we work out the living quarters inside the Minnie Winnie. I told DW while packing up "you wont need that" "you wont have room for that" "we don't need 12 plates" as stubborn as she is, she didn't believe me. After last night (first full night in the RV) the first thing she said this morning "I'm throwing everything out!" I had to laugh.

So far everything is going as planned and we're excited with a little stress in the area of how to arrange everything. We have an 11 year old, so we're trying to keep it as homey for him as possible without leading to clutter. I just thank god the harder part of getting rid of all the bigger items is done! For those going through this process - Craigslist was a godsend.

windynme
Explorer
Explorer
We are just begining the cleaning out process. Hubby has been retired for 3 years and I just retired on 4/25/13. It has been our plan for many years to sell the house and go full time but I am finding we should have started getting rid of things much sooner. There is so much stuff! We have decided we will not get a storage unit and only keep photo's and photo albums which we will put in a bin in my daughter's attic. Getting rid of lots and lots of clothes. Then we need to paint 2 bedrooms and re-carpet both and the house will be ready to put on the market. We are hoping that whoever buys the house may want some of the furniture so it will be less for us to get rid of. I wish this was all over and done. I am not looking forward to this part at all.

blkdodge
Explorer
Explorer
We started the same process 1 Year ago this past feb. Finished it in July of 12. Been FT since and love it. Still have a small storage but I think that will go away soon. What we find amazing is that we could go from a 2000 sq ft home with a 3 car garage, pool,hot tub and etc. to a 41ft 5th wheel and not miss anything. :B
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW/2012 Heartland Landmark San Antonio.

Trap
Explorer
Explorer
Penguelephants wrote:
Just had our final garage sale, the rest goes to Amvets, what a liberating and insightful journey this has been so far. Let me just say, the amount of people who offer twenty-five cents for an item is ridiculous! I understand trying to get a bargain, but really? Anyways...

11 days and counting!

Congrat's on getting rid of everything, know what you mean about the folks that come to garage sale's, they can sure test a person's patience.

If your down to 11 days, I know your getting excited, we're down to 4 know, so I know howmya feel.

jims1
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2 pieces of furniture left to take to the Salvation Army, paint the bathroom, recarpet and put the For Sale sighn out!
We've been Fulltiming in the backyard for 4 weeks now!
I am so ready to leave this all behind..
Volvo dually Pickup
DRV Memphis
Me, Alie, and Salie
Fulltiming

Penguelephants
Explorer
Explorer
We've been talking about this for nearly three years but only started seriously moving forward with the plan a mere 4 months ago. I came home from work one day and told the DW I'd had enough and we need to get this going. Our house was already gone, the car payments done and gone, all we had to do was find our RV and commit to the plan! Our fulltime date was chosen for us - the date the lease ends on the house we've been renting for the past year. Letting go of the possessions was daunting at first but once we sold the bigger items the rest was easy. Craigslist is a small miracle!

Our story is probably far from a perfect one, neither of us are retired, the RV is an old 80's Minnie Winnie class C and more than likely we'll be stationary longer than most fulltimers. But we'll be out there, free from bills, freedom to move when we want and explore, homeschooling our 11 year old and spending much more quality time as a family with minimal distractions. Eventually we hope to park the class C on some land in the middle of nowhere and call it home, while we build a cabin but the gas tank will always stay full.

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! A great way to start, no storage unit. We had a storage unit for 6 1/2 years, duh. Daughter bought a bigger house in November and requested the antiques that were still in the unit, whoopie. 7 years on the road and no plans to settle down, safe travels!

joeprinter
Explorer
Explorer
Wonderful news, We have been full timing now for 3 years. The only difference is our stuff is in storage, an we are renting out the stick an brick. Although each time I pay storage fees, I ask.. Why?. Enjoy your travels..
"2012 Forest River 360 DS"
"Ford V-10"
"2013 Toyota Corolla on Tow Dolly"

danoren
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to FREEDOM....
F-350 ,2006,XLT,SD,LB,EC,6.0LT,Auto,SRW.
5W Cruiser 2006 CF29CK Crossroad
RVing 4-5 months every summer since 2002.
P.A,Escapee club memeber,TomTom Go 5606
Website

Ramblin_Recks
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! How long have you have been planning this?
You are 21 months ahead of us !
We are still "weeding out"
our stuff, but have a long ways to go...The house goes on the market in more year.

Enjoy your travels, are you going to blog?
George and Ann
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB ,4x4,3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 640W Solar, MPPT60, Magnum 2000
Retired Army, but still working....until 2016