cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hooking up to a well

Hexmon
Explorer
Explorer
We live in out TT full time off grid. Its been a bit of a challenge but very rewarding. We recently bought our own piece of property and it already has sceptic, well, and electricity.
The challenge I am facing where I need help on is how do I connect the well to the TT?
It had a pump in the well, a black hose coming out of the ground with a wire wrapped around it. I have been told I needed a pressure tank to make this work but not sure about the size i need and what it all entails. Any help would be appreciated as I have not been able to find anything about it online.
Also Hi, I'm new here so be gentle lol.
14 REPLIES 14

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Most of the new wells and pump systems here use them.
Gould pumps

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
You would connect the same way as if you were in an RV park.
Now lets go with some concerns.
If you have a well setup that requires a pressure tank, get install before connecting.
If you have a variable speed submersible pump, you are better off. The pump will turn to provide water closer to what the rig's is require for the number of faucets.
Get a good quality pressure regulator. Connect it to the water spigot. When the pump with pressure tank runs it could have pressure switch setting too high for your RV.

Never heard of a variable speed well pump. You can add a controller to make them variable speed but I'm not aware of any well pump that is variable speed from the factory.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
Just call a well company to check well and install pressure tank and switches.
No need to get anyone else involved, that is how it works here.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
op stated he has a wire coming out of the well. It will be a 220 pump. He will weed a plumber and an electrician. That's where the trouble starts. He may need permits. My not be allowed to have a trailer. good luck.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What does voltage have to do with the OP's setup? He has an electrical service and is not running off the rig.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
You would need to know if the pump is wired for 240 volts or 120 volts. It could be either. If you can determine who installed it, they should be able to tell you. Ditto the previous owner.

The advice to hire somebody who knows what they are doing is good advice.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The well may already have a pump in it!
OP: what is your information about the well?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The well cap may have some information stamped on it about the well depth and the driller's contact info.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you have checked zoning to be sure you can legally live in a trailer on the lot. If you are surrounded by other trailers you are probably ok. If that lot had a well, septic, and power installed for a house, you might be out of luck.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Find someone in your area that drills or services wells and well pumps. They will be your best source of information about local requirements. Normally, a well is pumped into some type of holding tank, with necessary pressure switched to maintain a set pressure without having the pump run all the time. These are usually located in a weather proof structure somewhere close to the actual well. Direct connection to the well pump is usually not recommended, due to whatever pressure is available at the wellhead. So, best to find a local authority, and have the installation done properly.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
For a permanent installation you should have a PVC pipe for the well pump discharge, get rid of the hose.
This pipe connects to a well pump tank. The pump is cycled as needed by a well pump pressure switch, switch is controlled by the pressure in the tank, typical 30 to 50 psi is all that is needed.
There may be variations depending on how deep the well is, shallow well, jet pump or submerged pump.
Of course all this needs tp be in and insulated pump house to keep from freezing.

Tanks have a diaphragm, air loaded on top and water below, come in all sizes. For just a TT a 15 gallon tank should work. Remember, when the pressure drops in the tank because of use the pump cycles on to maintain pressure
Tanks:
https://www.amazon.com/Amtrol-WX-203-Well-X-Trol-Stand-Water/dp/B0057P1AP2/ref=asc_df_B0057P1AP2/?ta...

could be as simple as this for a shallow well
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Superior-Pump-1-2-HP-Shallow-Well-Jet-Tank-System-With-24L-Tank-94525/30...
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Florida the county health dept does well water testing for free, so you may want to check on that before paying. Call them and see what sort of sample the want and since you are not in FL see if they do this. If not ask them to recommend a lab. Do not use Calgon or some other such testers. The big thing they will check besides basic chemistry is for coliform bacteria which will reveal if your well is too near a sewage source.

I was an environmental chemist for 32 years and I have no idea why you would ask them about plumbing issues, aka expansion tank size. That's a question for the well driller to answer. Or just look on Youtube
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
Get the well tested first and then test the water quality. Ask the well tester what size pressure tank he recommends assuming the well is good. I do not know about your state but here in NM you must also transfer the ownership of the well to your name with the state engineer. Here the well ownership does not necessarily transfer with the land title.
Turret Class traveler

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You would connect the same way as if you were in an RV park.
Now lets go with some concerns.
If you have a well setup that requires a pressure tank, get install before connecting.
If you have a variable speed submersible pump, you are better off. The pump will turn to provide water closer to what the rig's is require for the number of faucets.
Get a good quality pressure regulator. Connect it to the water spigot. When the pump with pressure tank runs it could have pressure switch setting too high for your RV.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow