cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How come no part-timers category to post to

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious. Wife has already said we are not selling house. Full-time for us won't be a reality so I envision spending 4-8 months(not necessarily all at once but 2 months and come home 1 month and come home etc) traveling every year for hopefully a lot of years. Would like to see a category on this site for those that live this lifestyle. Maybe that is just a combination of snowbirding and full-timing?
16 REPLIES 16

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone is welcome to post in the Fulltime forum. It was set up to address the specific concerns of fulltimers, tho many topics overlap. It also gives others a glimpse into the world of fulltiming. ๐Ÿ™‚
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Cecilt wrote:
...snip...I hope to have saved enough to live a PT lifestyle as if we are in vacation mode for 4-8 months a year. If not, I could just sit at home and veg. I want to feel liberated and to me that is being in vacation mode and fully enjoying the fruits of our labor ๐Ÿ™‚

FWIW, every time you turn on that key expect to spend 2-300 dollars for that day if you're in vacation mode. That's a lot of fruit.

Also as you're saving that fruit, don't forget to enjoy some of it now and with your family. Many RV'ers (as everyone does) end up with medical issues later in life that limits their lifestyle.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
Cecilt wrote:
Tom N wrote:
All forums but the Full-time RVing forum are for part timers.

Not trying to step on your toes in the exclusive full time forum. My question is more related to those that some here have said travel for several months at a time. There is a category for snowbirds, correct. We are weekend and summer vacationers. IMO when we are ready to really travel that will be entirely different when out on the road for 2 months, 5 months etc. it would be nice to see how others live THIS lifestyle as well, how they travel, how long they stay at places, routes they take etc etc. I don't see where this forum has a good place for folks to post about this.

Cecilt, you are correct. It is way different then snowbirds, and not that much different then FT'ing except PT'ers are constantly packing and unpacking (and they have many more bills to pay.) ๐Ÿ˜‰

I think you'll find out that PT'ers are the smallest group of all RV'ers. Yes you are right, they have special needs. They might not need a quad slide MH, but having some storage capacity and room sure is nice when gone for six months.

What I've found out is learn from the FT'ers and snowbird forums, but question the snowbirds. As a PT'er you are really mobile, most snowbirds are not and develop a lifestyle that you can not achieve (i.e. supporting structures like sheds, wind breaks, car ports, etc...) Snowbirds with structures seem to rush back and forth which is not what PT'ers do at all. They will have a completely different outlook on places to stay then you will.

Best advice I have to give is FT'ers don't do vacation mode. As a PT'er you will have to learn to blend frugal and "don't care about the budget." To keep expenses down you will need to develop an economical lifestyle, yet to give it enjoyment take a month or so and slip into that "vacation mode" and kick up your heels. That took us awhile to figure out, once we did that I think we now have the best of all worlds.

Thanks for the thoughtful post. I envision that when we(really I since my wife is a stay at home mom) retire that we will travel for spurts at a time. If timing and everything goes as planned(big if) we will have one child just graduating from college and one starting college so we will have to be somewhat flexible in our travelling. However, I hope to have saved enough to live a PT lifestyle as if we are in vacation mode for 4-8 months a year. If not, I could just sit at home and veg. I want to feel liberated and to me that is being in vacation mode and fully enjoying the fruits of our labor ๐Ÿ™‚

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
We consider ourselves "longtimers", since we spend up to 10 months of the year traveling in our coach. Even when we do spend time at our upstate NY cottage, as we are now, we often continue to live in the coach, just using the cottage for laundry, etc., while we catch up on our kid's lives and various appointments. As far as a dedicated "longtimer" forum goes, I don't see any need since we can glean the best of the fulltimer and other forums that we find applicable to our particular style of RV'ing. Every RV'er likely has some unique characteristics to their particular RV usage, and trying to narrowly categorize them is not likely to fit anyone exactly.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

RoadLife
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with OP. Even though we travel south for the winter like snowbirds, we also travel 1-2 weeks most every month we are at home. So we don't consider ourselves simply snowbirds, and aren't really 100% fulltimers - sort of like most-timers I guess.
ROADLIFE

RV Part Timers Blog

2003 40' Allegro BUS - 2 slides
2013 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 OffRoad 2014 XC60 Volvo
Shasta - Australian Shepherd; Boomer - Brittany;
Pancho - border terrier

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Cecilt wrote:
Tom N wrote:

Not trying to step on your toes in the exclusive full time forum. My question is more related to those that some here have said travel for several months at a time. There is a category for snowbirds, correct. We are weekend and summer vacationers. IMO when we are ready to really travel that will be entirely different when out on the road for 2 months, 5 months etc. it would be nice to see how others live THIS lifestyle as well, how they travel, how long they stay at places, routes they take etc etc. I don't see where this forum has a good place for folks to post about this.

Cecilt, you are correct. It is way different then snowbirds, and not that much different then FT'ing except PT'ers are constantly packing and unpacking (and they have many more bills to pay.) ๐Ÿ˜‰

I think you'll find out that PT'ers are the smallest group of all RV'ers. Yes you are right, they have special needs. They might not need a quad slide MH, but having some storage capacity and room sure is nice when gone for six months.

What I've found out is learn from the FT'ers and snowbird forums, but question the snowbirds. As a PT'er you are really mobile, most snowbirds are not and develop a lifestyle that you can not achieve (i.e. supporting structures like sheds, wind breaks, car ports, etc...) Snowbirds with structures seem to rush back and forth which is not what PT'ers do at all. They will have a completely different outlook on places to stay then you will.

Best advice I have to give is FT'ers don't do vacation mode. As a PT'er you will have to learn to blend frugal and "don't care about the budget." To keep expenses down you will need to develop an economical lifestyle, yet to give it enjoyment take a month or so and slip into that "vacation mode" and kick up your heels. That took us awhile to figure out, once we did that I think we now have the best of all worlds.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Doesn't the 'RV Lifestyle' section meet your criteria ?
RV Lifestyle
Discuss real rving lifestyle issues and how to handle them while on the road.

It's between the 'General Rving Issues' & the "Full-Time Rving' sections
LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Cecilt wrote:
Tom N wrote:

Not trying to step on your toes in the exclusive full time forum.

:h

There's nothing "exclusive" about the Fulltiming Forum. I myself have posted there and have never been chided for not carrying that label.

I really don't understand your concern-? What possible issues would be better addressed in a "not-quite-fulltimers Forum"???
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the majority of posters are part timers and post to whatever topic they are interested in. No reason that they should not. Full timing is very different and while the topics are often similar, the theory is that this small group of RVers live in their RV and their RV only (whether they move often or not).
That's likely the reason for the specific topic and I am not sure there would be a reasonable way to add topics titled, 9 monthers, 6 monthers, 3 monthers, 1 monthers and weekenders.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
Tom N wrote:

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Some years we have spent 9 months in the MH. Other years 6 months. We have a stick and brick place to go back to, and full timers don't. They have issues only other full timers have. Our issues are common to people who spend a few days in their Mh or a few months in their MH.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Tom N wrote:

Times ten...

Next thing ya know, someone'll be posting demanding a forum for "weekenders", another for "one-day-at-a-timers", another for "three-times-a-year-for-three-days-plus-a-week-in-the-summerers", and on and on ad infinitum-?????
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Part-time is the same as snowbirds that fly south for 4+ months or retirees that travel for 2-4 months. Every other forum is geared to them. Full-timers need their own spot. ๐Ÿ™‚

However, part-timers are more than welcome to post a question here or can read the posts. No one is excluding part-timers.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel