cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Internet

sgtcoffey
Explorer
Explorer
What do you use for Internet? We are going to probably use a streaming service for TV Viewing. I have read a little about OTR.
THXS
14 REPLIES 14

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
From my research it seems the way to go is to get a cellular router and then get a sim card for a data only plan from an eBay reseller that offers a truly unlimited data plan. You have your pick of T-Mobile, VZW, and AT&T.

Right now we just tether our cell phones and use cellmapper.net to plan out where we're staying so that we have a good cellular signal.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

sgtcoffey
Explorer
Explorer
We have found a great system from Mobilemusthave.com

wedgar
Explorer
Explorer
OTRmobile changed their plans about 2 months ago. They used to be truly unlimited, but now have the plans limited at about 22Gb and they slow your feed down.

I have had several times my router (their best router Netgear Nighthawk) lose connection with ATT's network. They only have chat Tech Support and you wait and wait for a tech support person to connect you back up.

I give them a thumbs down. They used to be very good dealing with.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
sgtcoffey wrote:
I have been doing a lot of research on this internet thing and just keep getting more confused. What do you use for internet? We use about 100GB a month. THXS

OTR Mobile unlimited data, no cap. $60 per month

sgtcoffey
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
The best deal right now is visible, you have to have a compatible phone or use one of theirs. $40/mo

Do you have the Link to them??

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
How much data do you need? Full-time we need lots!
The 5 days refers to how much time is left in the month.

Click For Full-Size Image.
YMMV!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
The best deal right now is visible, you have to have a compatible phone or use one of theirs. $40/mo
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I was lucky to get a Mobley when they had a good deal, thanks to folks here on the forum posting about it.

Before that I used my phone's built in hotspot. With a little bit of rationing on TV watching, I was able to keep it down to 10 gigs a month. When I'm camping I don't really watch that much TV.

When I want to download a large file, like something on video, on campground wifi, I do it in middle of the night. I tend to stay up later than other campers, so I might set it to download at midnight and then turn it off when I get up at 3 or 4 in the morning to pee. Or on an early bird schedule, you could do the other way around -- turn it on in the middle of the night and turn it off when you get up at dawn.

You could also do like RV Sue, and buy a VHS player at a thrift store and buy super cheap VHS movies as you travel around :).
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

sgtcoffey
Explorer
Explorer
I have been doing a lot of research on this internet thing and just keep getting more confused. What do you use for internet? We use about 100GB a month. THXS

starhunt
Explorer
Explorer
I only use my mobile data for streaming. I only streamed with our laptop(which we connected to the tv) once and it pretty much got a good signal but I feel like if you would stay in much farther camping ground then signal won't be ok.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
sgtcoffey wrote:
What do you use for Internet? We are going to probably use a streaming service for TV Viewing. I have read a little about OTR.

Here's what I used this summer.

theoldwizard1 wrote:
Campground Wifi networks are notoriuosly overloaded so you will likely not be able to use them for streaming.

That's not what I found.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

There is a very long post on another forum you maybe interested in for internet. The most important post is #1 and you may continue for there.

Best RV internet for dummies

โ€œHappy Trailsโ€
Chiefneon

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Campground Wifi networks are notoriuosly overloaded so you will likely not be able to use them for streaming.

The solution is a cell phone data to wifi network adapter of some sort. Most cell phones will do this (at least until the battery runs out). Some people call them "hot spots". Some people use the name of the device like "Jet Pack", "Mobley" or "ToGo Roadlink". They all do, more or less, the same thing.

Of course that is only HALF of your solution ! Then you need a cell phone data plan. Many, MANY options ! Some of the above devices are sold in combination with data plans from the major carriers (Verizon, AT&T and Sprint) or other mobile virtual network operator(MVNO).

This is a very hot topic. Search around the internet and you will find dozens of solutions.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look at Visible and/or TOGO roadlink. Both off real unlimited service. Add a Roku for TV.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper