cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

motor home vs fifth wheel

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to maybe take the step into full time living. We will still call Arizona "HOME" as family and friends of course are here. I will still work some, seasonally of course weather here or on the road. Downsizing for us will be somewhat of an issue just because their are things to keep and things to be rid of. We now have a fifth wheel / truck which would need to be up sized of course. So Just some thoughts, experiences and constructive criticism welcome. Thanks in advance! Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !
18 REPLIES 18

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
janstey58 wrote:
MH arrival at site process:

Press Auto Level
Press slide out extends
Turn off engine
Press SATV dish to "on"
Open residential fridge for cold beer and relax in A/C comfort
Attach utilities when desired

Then what happens when you want to upgrade to a different living layout. Then you have to trade in the whole unit. If I get tired of my truck but like me 5er I can just change trucks. Also if I want to change 5ers but like my truck then I can just do that. If you want to change one or the other you are out the whole rig and have to invest the full amount again.

If you have a problem with either the house unit or the chassis unit the whole rig is in the shop. If I have problems with my truck I can still live in my 5er while the truck is being taken care of. If the trailer needs work I still have my truck to use. If you tow a toad that is 2 engines and chassis to take care of. I know if your engine on your MH breaks down on the road you still have another rig to drive to town and get help if towing a toad.

I have switched back and forth between MHs and 5er and I still keep coming back to a 5er.

It is up to each individual to make a decision what works for them not one thing works for all. There are pros and cons to everything.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Must important thing is floor plan and comfort inside when full timing.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
janstey58 wrote:
True, "some" newer 5th wheels are getting easier to setup/teardown, however, what is the internal temp of your RV when pulling into a spot in the summer, pulling over for lunch (sometimes we don't pull over!), or stopping for a bathroom break? Mine is nice and cool, or warm if in the fall/winter. Also, if there is weather such as rain, I don't get wet moving from TV to RV, as I am already there.

Winter 5W is warm I let the heater run so it's toasty, 30's when we arrived a couple days ago. Summer 2 A/C's cools pretty quick. Buddy I travel with is in a class A and does not use the auto A/C as it doesn't cool enough in that many sqft, so he runs the generator for 110. I could have ordered the 5W with a generator, then I can run down the road it and the A/C running, but I carry a portable.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
True, "some" newer 5th wheels are getting easier to setup/teardown, however, what is the internal temp of your RV when pulling into a spot in the summer, pulling over for lunch (sometimes we don't pull over!), or stopping for a bathroom break? Mine is nice and cool, or warm if in the fall/winter. Also, if there is weather such as rain, I don't get wet moving from TV to RV, as I am already there.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the comments. If we do this, I will plan on upgrading the fifth wheel in part due to having a bit more room, closet space and a place for washer dryer, more counter space and living space has a desk. I will still work some and would be needing these things, partially storage of those things we have in our home, and the desk for work space for me. In addition the newer floor plan is a bit better with some additional windows. We would Full time in what we have for about a year as we would be selling stuff during that time, that would enable us to pay cash for our newer tow vehicle and trailer. So for us it is just that and we will have plenty of time to get what we want, based on floor plan, insulation package and the few things we enjoy for usability. But definitely have decided against the motor home. So Thanks, Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
janstey58 wrote:

Press Auto Level
Press slide out extends
Turn off engine
Press SATV dish to "on"

Exactly how a 5W works except I have to get out of the TV & move to the 5W. When I am too old to that it's time to find a nursing home.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
jffnkrn wrote:
Getting ready to maybe take the step into full time living. We now have a fifth wheel / truck which would need to be up sized of course.

In reading another of your posts you have a 33' 5th wheel. We full-timed in a 33' for 8 years so you really don't need to 'up size'! 🙂

The reason we went to a motorhome was that friends got us hooked on Jeeping. Both of the RVs worked well for us.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
janstey58 wrote:

Press Auto Level
Press slide out extends
Turn off engine
Press SATV dish to "on"

Out Fifthwheel isn't much different, we just have to disconnect the TV, while you have to disconnect your Toad. After that it's the same process:
Auto level
Extend Slides
Press SATV Dish
Open Residential Fridge
Attach utilites when desired/needed
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
Besides all who bring up that you should think about how you plan to travel there are other issues to think about.
If you have all the money in the world and can afford a top end MH for $$$$ go for it. A 5th wheel and new dully diesel tow vehicle can also go big bucks. Now if you are not going to buy new other issues come up.

We have been full timing for many years in our 09 NuWa 38 ft Discover America 5th wheel and thought about moving to a diesel pusher motorhome. Why, because OK so I am vain and wanted to travel with like the big boys.
So we start to go looking on the internet for units to buy. Well, we are not made of money but not poor either so we're looking at mid-2000 units. Like 2006 or so. The price range was not too bad and after much research found several issues with older MHs. Like trailing arms that need to be replaced and steering box movement problems. All seems things that should have been fixed by the previous owners. THEN the big issue came up...
Full Body Paint Checking. You ask what is that. I did a search and found...
The thin plywood that is covered with the fiberglass and then paint is off-gassing an acid that is bleeding out to the surface. It is caused by heat and shows up in the dark colors first.
So the bottom line is buyer beware if you are looking buying a full paint older MH. Look at it closely for paint problems. This may not show up for years so buy at your own risk. I am not saying don't buy but be aware of all the issues. Just google "paint checking" for more info.
The above thoughts were orig. posted on rv.net in the MH section.

Now, 5th wheels also have problems to think about. Most are fiberglass gel coat and add-on decals. Yep the decals will degrade and crack and curl over the years. And without waxing often oxidation will occur.
So both MHs and 5th wheels have issues that will show up over time.
In our case, we have found it much easier to deal with oxidation and decal problems than paint checking issues.
So have decided to replace our decals (got all new ones from the factory) on our 5th wheel and put in a residential refrigerator Samsung RF18.
As most people will tell you don't buy NEW, it will be in the shop more than you get to use it.
And when on the road and you call up any dealer for service they will tell you ya bring it in in 90 days. That's works well when you are full-timing.
Hope you find an RV that suits your needs and love it.
Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle

Hitchitch.com

Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
After I retired, we began camping a lot more. We are primarily 'destination' campers so the trip to and from our destination are usually just a series of one night stops. We tried, then quit, using a toad as it makes pulling into stops so much harder. A Walmart or Cracker Barrel always has a double length spot the MH easily fits into and making a mistake where I have to back out is not an issue. If we will be staying at our destination any amount of time, we rent a car. The "MH arrival at site process" says it for me!

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
My opinion is that if you travel lots of miles yearly and lots of actual days on the highway, then a motor home makes sense. If you do not travel extensively, or only expect to be actually on the road 10-20 days per year and let the RV sit for the remaining 345-355 days per year, then it doesn't.

+1 of course

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
janstey58 wrote:

Press Auto Level
Press slide out extends
Turn off engine
Press SATV dish to "on"

Works for us, since we got rid of our 5th wheel in 1981, 6 motorhomes ago. Set up is easy, tear down is quick.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer

Press Auto Level
Press slide out extends
Turn off engine
Press SATV dish to "on"
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Motor Home you'll need a toad to trips to the stare, site seeing ect of pack up everything and use the MH. Two engines to maintain. Likely less sq footage than a 5W.

5W tow to camp spot, drop and use truck for what you want to do and you don't have to pack until you move. 1 engine to maintain.

JMHO