cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We found a camper!!

Cowgal_brooke
Explorer
Explorer
So my boyfriend and I decided we want to move to California (better pay) in a camper (beat the cost of living) from Oklahoma. I've been lurking around the forums for a few months now, and it seems as if everything has fallen into place thus far. New job, camper found and getting ready to purge some housewares.

We are probably getting an outback 2008 toy hauler. One owner, two slide-outs one out of the rear, and the toy hauler room in the tongue of this bumper pull. I drive a ford f-250 diesel and we will have our other rig toyota 4runner on the road hauling a jet ski. And we are dog owners. As we are planning to head out early to mid-July, I would love to hear ideas of how and what we should be prepared for. So..... Without further ado, what is your single, most important piece of advice you can give this newbie?
11 REPLIES 11

TOOBOLD
Explorer
Explorer
California schools are not in good shape either. You are looking at 35 kids in a classroom unless you took a job at a private school. What part of California are you heading to so we can give more info? If LA not very RV friendly.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked into how long each campground will allow you to stay? If you plan on camping only and never taking up a permanent residence, you must be prepared to move around. You'll need to secure a place to receive your mail. Judging by your post, you are on the younger side. Although you may be able to handle driving more than 300 miles in a day (500 was the norm when hubby and I were in our 20s/30s), in retrospect I have to agree with those suggesting you keep your driving scaled back. Make the journey part of the adventure and try to enjoy yourselves along the way.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I think you're heading in the wrong direction. We left the West Coast (lived in CA, WA & OR) in the 80's and headed to Georgia. Even today, nearly 30 years later, we're so glad we never moved back to the PacNW.

Jobs for myself, DH and our children have been so much easier to find and keep here in the southern states. CG rents are also much lower...

But definitely take the route slow. We typically travel 4-6 hrs to enable us to park and set up before 2pm when the mad rush for spaces from other RV travelers fills up the remaining sites.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

Cowgal_brooke
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, all. I've towed a uhaul cross country behind a 6" lifted jeep. Winds and speed control check. I have actually chkd into rates to camp and they are pricey, but compared to the rent in the area, way more doable in a paid for rv. And finally to the poster who suggested I stay in ok: if the legislators and state board of education knew how to take care of their teachers and aspiring youth, I would have no desire to leave this state. Mis managed funds and excessive testing (including test prep) ensure the dim future in Oklahoma for educators. Ok, stepping off soap box lol

Keep those tidbits coming!

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might also check RV parks/campgrounds in the area you are planning to go to for rates/availability. Most posts I've seen regarding rates, they are very high.

Jim

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Higher pay, but also a much higher cost of living and from reading these forums, I'd say taxes and insurance cost a lot more too.

Thumperpull
Explorer
Explorer
Stay in Oklahoma. 🐵
Mike and Catherine
2004 Thumper 261S
2002 GMC Yukon XL

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
What area of Calif. are you planning to head to? So. Calif. has a lot of traffic--especially between the hours of 3-7 p.m.--also 6-9 a.m. Try to be at your campground in early afternoon--gives you time to set up, kick back a bit. Know where the rest stops will be as well as fuel stops and if possible any road work or detours. Good idea to join Good Sam--they can set up an itinerary for you. Practice backing into tight spots--many times I find myself backing into a site that has a camper on either side and trucks parked in front--I always try to get a pull thru site but not always available. Good Luck, Lars
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure to pull into a campground before dark. More mistakes and damage is probably done in the dark.

GMT830
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely take your time. And don't skimp on the hitch. At least a Reese Dual Cam.
Lena - 02 Yukon XL Denali
TT - Wilderness 29L

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Single most important: drive slow, take your time. Rather than plan on going 500-600 miles a day on the journey, make it 300. Max. And NEVER be anything but the slowest rig on the road. Make THEM pass you, not the other way around.

And NEVER tow into a big headwind. I got into a couple days like that going west across Montana, and it was rough going, but I had no choice. I foolishly did it again eastbound across Oklahoma. Never again. Hang out for a day and let the winds change. You can use the rest and you'll save a bunch of fuel.

You are starting a new adventure, welcome aboard and enjoy yourself.