Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well...

Mfar1234
Explorer
Explorer
Well Folks,

Shortly after I purchased my unit and hit the road mom ended up ill and have spent several months with her until we had to Hospice her ...and yes, it all ended.

Anyway, after the drain of funds, etc...and about to lose my motorhome - I must come off the road and start over.

Wishing you all well and hoping to see everyone down the road one day ...

Life is full of change and we'll make it!

Hoping that I can do this again one day and thanks all
:C
Mfar1234
40' 2002 Alpine Coach, 400 ISL Cummings/3000 6sd Allison
2006 Dodge Ram 4x4
Brodie - Lab Mix and Baylee - Border Collie
27 REPLIES 27

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
BarbaraOK wrote:
Often people only want validation of what they have already done. Pointing out that there may have been another way upsets them. The problem is that not pointing out different things might hurt someone else down the line. Open discussions are a way of helping everyone learn about things that we all have to face as time goes on.

Barb

Thanks Barb, I could not have stated it any better.

To the OP,

I'm sorry for your lost.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only thing I can figure on these unclear responses is they believe it's there responsabilty to pay their parents expenses . It's clearly not by law but perhaps some moral feeling ? Mfar1234 seems to like to talk in riddles . And be offended by a normal question .. How can this happen ? As far as sympathy , Which I give !!! but this is a forum for discussion and learning
My mom will soon run out of her home sale proceeds and be on medicaid which by law .. At least where we live , enables her to stay in the same a pvt pay facility she's in . By law they can't kick her out .. She must Pay all she can SS etc and Medicade pays some of the rest .. The facility must take a lower amount however. I can't be held for her responsibility ....
My best wishes for a quick return to the ops goals .. But I think the idea for the rest who have a mistaken idea they can be held responsible for parents care and debit (creditors will try to tell people they are in order to steal the kids money ) you aren't . That my father didn't plan for mom or he to live this long is a shame .. I will try to do better but it's not something I must fix .my mom and dad payed taxes as do I ... That's what there're there for
Bill

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Often people only want validation of what they have already done. Pointing out that there may have been another way upsets them. The problem is that not pointing out different things might hurt someone else down the line. Open discussions are a way of helping everyone learn about things that we all have to face as time goes on.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Mfar1234 wrote:

...where I'm from, its rude to probe/dig/start gossip etc, when not invited to do so....

Keep in mind, you started the conversation. Where I come from that is considered an invitation to converse.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Another one here in the confused catagory.

I'm sorry you had to go thru this but we went thru a similar situation with my Mom a couple years back and the full time lifestyle was actually a boon as my parents were out in Arizona for the winter and we were able to spend the last couple months with her while my siblings were only able to make short visits. We took care of some stuff directly but mostly helped my Dad thru the process.

As I read the question, it was asked in as gentle a manner as possible in the hopes of learning from your experience.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Mfar1234
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe a select few of you should read my original message and "accept it in the sprit in which it was intended" as the majority that responded have.

Only a select few have decided to "nib-****" - where I'm from ... its rude to probe/dig/start gossip etc ... when not invited to do so.

Thus my; "unbelievable" statement. it "unbelievable" that I even have to explain.

We'll see ya'll later

Take care
Mfar1234
2006 Dodge Ram 4x4

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Mfar1234 wrote:
Unbelievable -- and some people wonder why they are not accepted.

Ya'll take care

I am confused by your responses. You seem insulted that some people have questions and want to discuss this. If you don't want people in your business then don't post your family business on the internet.

Mfar1234
Explorer
Explorer
Unbelievable -- and some people wonder why they are not accepted.

Ya'll take care
Mfar1234
2006 Dodge Ram 4x4

galtgirl
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
Mfar1234 wrote:
John&Joey wrote:
I know this may sound cold, but I mean it to educate myself and not to judge.

Could you please explain how your Mom's illness depleted your funds to the point of bankruptcy. There should have been government programs (and advocates) in place that should have taken care of her and her needs at the end. Admittedly her house and all SS/savings would have been forfeited during that time.

May God be w/ you!

:h I'm curious also and believe John&Joey are trying to be helpful.

Another forum I visit a member put themselves into bankruptcy before hiring an attorney and learning that they were NOT responsible for their mother's bills.

:h That makes two of us.

I have no idea why that statement would have been made, it may explain a few things though.

When you post something along these lines you shouldn't be insulted when people ask "why?" I'm sure they did not mean to judge you but truly want to understand your plight and perhaps avoid a similar situation

I dread this very scenario. My mother is quickly depleting her savings because she does not have enough income to cover her assisted living home. Who knew she would live to be 95 and after 5 years living there the time is coming where we will have to cover it ourselves. It will be a real financial hardship if we retire next year as planned and have to support her as well.
John and Carol Beckman
USN SKC RET (him) RN (her)
Lola & Ava the French Bulldogs
Sacramento, CA

2015 Heartland Bighorn
2017 Silverado 3500 HD High Country

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Wish all states were the same, but some aren't.

Barb

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Our Blog

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
BarbaraOK wrote:
Often children are unwilling to have their parents in care institutions that Medicaid plus SS/retirement benefits will pay for - they make up the difference out of their own pockets. Which is why having long term care insurance is something everyone should consider.

Barb

Just for the record I just went threw this with my own Mom, and my MIL. One has the best case scenario, the other only SS. Both had to go to assisted living. Both received good care and respect from both places.

I really did not see a huge difference in places other then maybe décor. There are state laws now in place that will stop things that use to happen 20-30 years ago. Personally I know a head inspector for this state that would shut a place down at the smallest hint of an abuse. She views every resident as a family member.

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Often children are unwilling to have their parents in care institutions that Medicaid plus SS/retirement benefits will pay for - they make up the difference out of their own pockets. Which is why having long term care insurance is something everyone should consider.

Barb

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Our Blog

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Mfar1234 wrote:
John&Joey wrote:

Could you please explain how your Mom's illness depleted your funds to the point of bankruptcy. There should have been government programs (and advocates) in place that should have taken care of her and her needs at the end. Admittedly her house and all SS/savings would have been forfeited during that time.

May God be w/ you!

Another forum I visit a member put themselves into bankruptcy before hiring an attorney and learning that they were NOT responsible for their mother's bills.

:h That makes two of us.

I have no idea why that statement would have been made, it may explain a few things though.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Mfar1234 wrote:
John&Joey wrote:

May God be w/ you!