cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Firearm storage in maine before Canada

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
Planning on going into eastern Canada this summer.I carry a few firearms and I am fully aware of the country's stance. We are planning on entering at houlton me. Is there a place were I can store my guns and ammo. Pawn shops Uhaul etc.
Thanks in advance.
Home
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014
9 REPLIES 9

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
Funny about the "fruits and vegetables" comment. A while ago, we travelled into the U.S. with our trailer for a few weeks. While down, we did the usual food shopping.

Unexpectedly, we had to temporarily return home for a very brief visit (literally a couple hours), before we headed back to the States. The only thing the border officer was concerned about was fruits and vegetables coming into the States.

We had a few apples left from the original trip, purchased in the States and which had U.S. sellers stickers (and we even had proof of purchase) and she had us throw them in the garbage, prior to entry. No questions about liquor, guns, money or anything else.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I know that there are places along the Mexican border where you can rent lockers to store "stuff" before you head down. Most require a reservation to do so as they can fill up quickly. Contacting firearms dealers would likely be your best bet to see if they 1) offer fee-based storage or 2) can recommend some place that does.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

We have traveled into the Canadian maritimes a few times. When we do we stay at Pumpkin Patach RV Resort in Hermon, ME located near Bangor. Pumpkin Patch RV Resort let me store my weapons free of charge there while we traveled into Canada. I would place them in a lockable container and pick them up on our return. Unknown if they still provide this service but hereโ€™s their number so you can call and find out. 207-848-2231.

โ€œHappy Trailsโ€
Chiefneon

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check if there is a branch of the bank you might use. I rented a Safety Deposit Box before leaving Florida the year we went to Alaska and left the pistol there.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Easiest thing to do is probably leave them at home this trip.

Well according to the OPs signature he is full time, so his home is on wheels. Storage is the best option.
My choice would be a firearms dealer, that way may be able to have them shipped to a different point of entry.
Oops, missed that. Doh.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
OH, the dogs. They need a rabies vax certificate from the vet. Maybe you already know.

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
If you have pistols, and are not a Maine resident, drop them off at a gunsmith for an inspection and cleaning. This will deal with the problem of pistols can only be transfered to a in state resident. Usually they will store for about a buck a day, after 30 days. I would think most gunsmiths will help you out, for a price. Just google gunsmith and add the town.

If you have only Canada compliant arms, the $25 Canadian (haven't checked prices since a moose hunt 2 years ago) charge for the permit is pretty reasonable. It used to cover all arms that you bring in. On my trip neither Canadian or US customs checked the serial numbers. They didn't care about the dead moose either. However, "Do you have any fruits or veggies?" is a concern.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:

Well according to the OPs signature he is full time, so his home is on wheels. Storage is the best option.
My choice would be a firearms dealer, that way may be able to have them shipped to a different point of entry.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"