Did you mean: 

1977 Dodge Sportsman

Ashton1012
Explorer
Explorer

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/20 03:43pm Link | Quote | Edit | Print | Notify Moderator
Hello everyone!

I bought a 1977 Dodge Sportsman last year, I’m hoping someone can share some info. Unfortunately since I bought it, it’s been parked at a friends house about 5 hours away. I finally have some time to go work on it before I bring it home, but I have some questions. Some of this may be easy to answer but having the RV so far away I haven’t been able to go over it head to toe.

First off, how do I fill the propane? There are no external bottles, are they mounted on the chassis somewhere?

Second, I’m trying to figure out what engine I have, so I can order an exhaust manifold gasket and some spark plugs. The exhaust manifold has casting number 4227637-2. Can I order parts for any 1977 318?

And finally, more out of curiosity, why does the title just say CAVE under the vehicle model? It doesn’t say Dodge anywhere on it, just 1977 CAVE.

I’m sure I’ll have more questions once I actually get to the RV and put some hands on it. I appreciate any and all advice!
18 REPLIES 18

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
how old are the tires? belts and hoses,, remember rubber things rot, also check your driving lights,have fun its going to be a learning thing.

Ashton1012
Explorer
Explorer
Ok awesome thank you! I’m sure it will be easy to find, I just couldn’t find the shut off last time I was there but also didn’t look very hard. Trying to get as much info lined up before I get there at the end of the month so I can spend more time working on it, and less time figuring out how to work on it.
Aside for the obvious mechanical checklist, anything I should do/check before I take her on the long voyage home and a little camping adventure?
Already plan on doing spark plugs, oil/air filters, change the oil, exhaust manifold gasket.... the septic tank was winterized by the previous owner. Can I just proceed to use it now that it’s not winter, or are there shut off somewhere that need to be turned on? I imagine the water connection to the toilet may be off, everything else should be good to go?

Thank you!

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a couple of possibilities for propane. The most likely is a built-in tank, which means you have to drive the RV to a propane seller (not just a cylinder exchange kiosk sort of place, but one where they sell it in bulk) and they should know what to do if you point out where the tank is. The other possibility is a compartment somewhere with one or two cylinders in it.

In either case, the access would be through some external compartment door. It's probably simplest to just go around opening all the doors until you find it. The propane compartment door should not be a locking door (for fire safety reasons), which is sometimes a useful clue for figuring out which one it is.

For a class C motorhome, the vehicle manufacturer is the company that completed the vehicle, not the chassis manufacturer. No idea who "cave" would be.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
You’ve looked in all the outside cabinet doors? Bottles may be too old to refill legally.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad