cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1996 Chevy Tioga rear brake calipers

flash_flood
Explorer
Explorer
How do you get the rear calipers back on? I removed the one hex bolt and softly pounded the sort of flat metal tab out to remove the caliper and replace the pads but getting it and the little flat spring or whatever it is back in is another story. What am I missing besides a repair manual? That I have ordered but won't have it in time for a planned trip this weekend. It must be really easy which is why I'm having a hard time.

----------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Never mind, I got it. Just needed to drink a beer and calm down and I got it in. I can't believe that's all that holds the caliper on.
3 REPLIES 3

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
The front disc brake calipers on our 1980's E350 were mounted that way. Not too bad once I got used to it. The rear calipers on our current chassis (Signature) seem to be mounted that way too. Odd, since the current fronts are mounted on slide bolts. I think the slide bolts are a much cleaner solution. The kind you pictured seem so hard to keep free enough to be able to slide.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

flash_flood
Explorer
Explorer
Gene in NE wrote:
flash,flood - I use a "C" clamp and the old disc pad against the piston to push it back into it's housing. You do need to watch the master cylinder. You will be pushing the brake fluid back up into the master and it could overfill and make a mess. ๐Ÿ™‚

I had no problem with pushing the piston back in, it was putting the caliper back on and securing it. I managed to keep the caliper elevated enough to be able to wedge the two piece in and then pound them into place and secure the one bolt. For such a big vehicle it sure seems like a weak way of holding the caliper on compared to the typical 2 bolt style I am failure with. All four calipers have just one little allen head bolt that secure a bracket that wedges the caliper into place.

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
flash,flood - I use a "C" clamp and the old disc pad against the piston to push it back into it's housing. You do need to watch the master cylinder. You will be pushing the brake fluid back up into the master and it could overfill and make a mess. ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene