cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st time buyer wanting to do it right the first time

jonandjoni
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting close to retirement and plan on buying my first RV. I plan on doing it right the first time so I have been doing months and months of research. I plan to spend 4-6 months each year traveling throughout North America from Key West, Florida to Juno, Alaska and everywhere in between. I hope to continue this experience for at least 20 years hopefully in the same RV than one day turn the keys over to my kids. With that being said I have narrowed down my search to two models that I think will meet my needs, Entegra Cornerstone & Newmar London Aire. I was hoping anyone that owns either of these models may be able to shed a little light on their experiences. Sure I like to hear all the good things but I really want to hear the negatives. If I am going to shelve out $500,000 I want to make sure I will have the most comfortable and reliable coach for years to come. And if you feel there is a better coach that falls within this price range please chime in.
25 REPLIES 25

tankcj
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 54 and we bought our coach last December. Like you, this is our fist RV (went from a tent to a Beaver) I wanted to only do this once. For me, it has been a fun learning experience! I urge you to look at used coaches...the bugs are most likely worked out and in most cases they have hardly been used. Ours only had 9300 miles. New or used, both the coaches you are looking at will give you years of great service!
2008 Beaver Contessa Pacifica 425 Cat with 448 hp and 1311 torque

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know very few RVers that got rid of their first RV for reliability or quality reasons. Most seem to be trading because they could not figure out what it was they needed for the way they were using it, or found something really annoying to them once they lived in it for a while. Same as people do with houses or apartments.

So do what you can, shopping, to try to work out what it is going to be like living in this thing. For RVs, that also includes setting it up, and getting to the places you want to be.

Saddest cases are the ones who need six months to a couple of years to figure out that they are not temperamentally suited to the lifestyle, or living together that closely, or that the experience doesn't match the dream. Particularly if it is only one person's dream.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
racerchaser wrote:
If you buy one of the coaches you mention I will bet that you will trade coaches at least three times in the first five years. I stated on another thread that either arrogance or ignorance has someone start RVing in a 40-ft diesel coach.

By the way, get a good set of tools before you head to Juneau and check a map so you know how to spell it.

. . and you are totally wrong. In our 16 years of full-timing we know of no one that traded coaches 3x in 5 years. Perhaps once in 10 years.

glad to meet you, I was on my third motorhome in 5 years. it is different between somebody old and familiar with RVs before they jump into full timing as they know what they want, but for a relative new RVer mistakes will be made.

bumpy

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
Quality RVs can last 20 years. I have a '95 Roadtrek that still looks like new. I also have a '03 Moutain Aire that still looks like new. My daughter & SIL have a '82 Wanderlodge that they just took to FL. & Back from Michigan. That one needs a little new upholstery but what wife lets upholstery last that long anyhow? Quality does last. I should add that I keep my 2 indoors when not in use.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
racerchaser wrote:
If you buy one of the coaches you mention I will bet that you will trade coaches at least three times in the first five years. I stated on another thread that either arrogance or ignorance has someone start RVing in a 40-ft diesel coach.

By the way, get a good set of tools before you head to Juneau and check a map so you know how to spell it.

. . and you are totally wrong. In our 16 years of full-timing we know of no one that traded coaches 3x in 5 years. Perhaps once in 10 years.

You spoke of arrogance and then correct someone's spelling? Geez.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

racerchaser
Explorer
Explorer
I do not care how much research you have done/will do, in the end the only way to get the "right" coach is to get into the RV lifestyle. If you buy one of the coaches you mention I will bet that you will trade coaches at least three times in the first five years. I stated on another thread that either arrogance or ignorance has someone start RVing in a 40-ft diesel coach. Are you prepared for a "house" of 500 sq ft? Are you ready to fork over $200 for a fresh load of diesel? How about $4000+ for a new set of tires? Also, the list of owners that have owned their coach for 20 years is so small they would be considered the true one percenters. If everything goes as planned for you, after three to five years you will see a coach that has better "stuff" in it. Also, just as with any vehicle, there is a point in ownership where maintenance costs will rise to an unacceptable level. By the way, get a good set of tools before you head to Juneau and check a map so you know how to spell it.
Fox

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that this "rent one and decide" is overstressed. Yes, it would be a great idea if you are planning on getting a Class C and try getting up into the overhead bed for a week. that could easily kill your thoughts of buying one. but to rent enough different ones for a long enough period to "test" them, you would have invested a sizable down payment already.
bumpy

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Just a couple recommendations:

1) Do rent and try out the RV lifestyle. You can rent some Newmar and Entegra, and American Eagle, and Allegro Bus models from Allstar Coaches

Maybe not the exact model, but good enough that you can get an idea of the different manufacturers.

2) Do try the RV lifestyle on a shorter term basis before sinking that much money into a coach. These things depreciate in value faster than a luxury car.

You are both going to cut your wardrobe down to about two suitcases worth. The WHOLE wardrobe. Easier for guys than women.

Your cooking style will change. No more double ovens. Likely no oven except a microwave convection oven. And likely a two burner induction cooktop.

No full-time computer workstation, likely a laptop and a small printer/ multi-function if you want a copy capability.

No high speed internet many times. No way to stream videos, though that's less of an issue for folks out age than 30 somethings.

etc, etc, etc,
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
X 5,000

rdthompson1
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you pick go thru the motions of living there without sales staff. Lay on the bed. Do you have room for what you want next to the bed? Is tv etc where you want it and accessible? Get in the shower, does it work for you? Room to dress? Act out fixing diner. Do you have enough counter space? Are your pots, pans, food, spices accessible? Where will you do computer stuff? Is watching tv comfortable? Is there room for entertaining? How about outside. Do you want to cook or entertain outside? Is storage accessible especially with slides out? Are the seats comfortable for driving as well as entertaining? How does driver seat fit you with slide in? When, not if, something breaks how difficult will it be for someone to fix? Is it too complicated to get it fixed in your most remote location? Is it worth being so complicated? Simplicity is sometimes better for that reason. When you are 200 miles from nowhere is when things break. Plan on it. The best friend you ever had or well have is the only one you can live with in an rv. You must both be very flexible. YOU MUST BOTH BE VERY FLEXIBLE.
Robin & Anita
1999 American tradition
300HP Cummins / 6 Spd Allison
2015 Mazda cx5 w/dolly

RBabb
Explorer
Explorer
From my experience find the features you want at the right price and go for it. If you find something you like better trade. There's no right or wrong, it's just what you like and that's subject to change
08 Ram 3500 Big Horn, DRW, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, 6.7 CTD, 6sp Auto, B&W Companion, Prodigy Controller

08 Ram 2500 Big Horn, SRW, Crew Cab, short Bed, 4x4, 6.7 ctd

01 NUWA 39SUT Packrat, 40' Toy hauler- sold
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 36c

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
jonandjoni wrote:
I plan to spend 4-6 months each year traveling throughout North America from Key West, Florida to Juno, Alaska and everywhere in between. I hope to continue this experience for at least 20 years hopefully in the same RV than one day turn the keys over to my kids. With that being said I have narrowed down my search to two models that I think will meet my needs, Entegra Cornerstone & Newmar London Aire. I was hoping anyone that owns either of these models may be able to shed a little light on their experiences. Sure I like to hear all the good things but I really want to hear the negatives. If I am going to shelve out $500,000 I want to make sure I will have the most comfortable and reliable coach for years to come. And if you feel there is a better coach that falls within this price range please chime in.

I have a Newmar and I have very pleased with the construction and their support. I have called them with a number of questions and they have worked hard to get answers. This is not to say things are always perfect. You will have thing go wrong with any RV. I think you have selected two good coaches.

Have you done much traveling in an RV before? You do not figure out what you like and what you do not like until you spend some time in one.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
jonandjoni wrote:
I am getting close to retirement and plan on buying my first RV. I plan on doing it right the first time so I have been doing months and months of research. I plan to spend 4-6 months each year traveling throughout North America from Key West, Florida to Juno, Alaska and everywhere in between. I hope to continue this experience for at least 20 years hopefully in the same RV than one day turn the keys over to my kids. With that being said I have narrowed down my search to two models that I think will meet my needs, Entegra Cornerstone & Newmar London Aire. I was hoping anyone that owns either of these models may be able to shed a little light on their experiences. Sure I like to hear all the good things but I really want to hear the negatives. If I am going to shelve out $500,000 I want to make sure I will have the most comfortable and reliable coach for years to come. And if you feel there is a better coach that falls within this price range please chime in.

I'd probably be looking into a good used Bluebird Wanderlodge for meeting that kind of criteria and budget. Here's just an example and they are available up to and including 2009.... Bluebird
If you would choose to go with this one, then you'd have an extra $200K plus tax for taking care of anything imaginable for the life of the coach, if there is an end of life for these units.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
jonandjoni wrote:

Jon and Joni,

I don't mean to throw a monkey wrench in the mix, but there is a Prevost show/rally in Tampa or near there at the Parliament converter (January 5th-9th, 2015). There will be many, many used coaches on display from all converters.

If you want a 20 yr. coach with a 1,000,000 mile chassis, you might want to take a peek at a used Prevost. $500K would get you 2004-2007 coach depending on the Prevost converter.

Join www.prevostcommunity.com to read everything Prevost. It's free but you have to sign up. They also have a large list of coaches for sale on their site.

It also amazes me how a 15 yr. old Prevost only looks a few years old.

Good luck,
Mark

On edit: The Parliament rally is in Clearwater, FL.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins