cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

200 lbs psi

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
A good friend claims that he can inflate 16" truck tires to 200 psi without any damage to rim or tire. This is what gets discussed when there is nothing else to do. Any resident genius's care to comment? Tire and rim are both rated for 80 PSI.
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s
19 REPLIES 19

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK.. Lets move on

Topic closed...
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
topflite51 wrote:
A good friend claims that he can inflate 16" truck tires to 200 psi without any damage to rim or tire. This is what gets discussed when there is nothing else to do. Any resident genius's care to comment? Tire and rim are both rated for 80 PSI.

As long as you don't put weight on them or stress them with heat or twisting I'm sure that would work. It's one way to make sure the bead sets onto the rim prior to dropping the PSI to specs.

BTW, you hang around with one party hardy group. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

G_Lewis
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, bartender, I will have the same as that guy over there holding the air hose....

DUH

Years ago I saw what happened to a man who over inflated his 18 wheeler tire....some of his body parts were smeared on the windows of the service station....
George Lewis
Boerne, TX
'99 Fleetwood Bounder 34J
Ford V10

Go_Dawgs1
Explorer
Explorer
Who Cares?????????????????
2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone volunteer for 250 PPI? One has to ask why?????
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Simple question. WHERE do you find a Compressor that has 200PSI??????????????????????? Doug

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest he was confused and probably looking at a scale that measures in inches of mercury, which would be about normal. I inflate my 16 inch tires to 500....KPa.
IRV2

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
topflite51 wrote:

Well, when you said "resident genius", my ears perked up.

I would have responded with "Why the low pressure? I run mine up at 250"!

Of course, in Texas, it ain't bragging if you're just telling the truth! lol!
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
topflite51 wrote:

OK, here's the scoop.

In engineering circles, there is a thing called fatigue - that is, when a structure has a cycling load (and a rolling tire is cycling the load in and out of the contact patch), the amount of stress before failure is much much lower than the stress needed to cause a failure for a single load application.

The classic way to look at this is to take a bolt and put it in a load machine and pull it until it breaks, then record the load when it breaks.

If that same bolt were to be loaded to some fraction of that breaking load (say 50%), and then a cyclic load were to be applied (say +/- 10%), the bolt wouldn't break right away, but would eventually break after a number of cycles (and the number of cycles would be about 10,000 cycles)

To describe this phenomenon, engineers use what is called an "SN curve" - Stress vs Number of cycles. The SN curve is different for each material, but the curves have very similar shapes.

The same thing applies to tire bursting strength. Tires are by their very nature subjected to a cyclic load. While a single application of pressure will cause the tire to burst at a very high pressure, it will burst at a much lower pressure after many miles. To give you and idea, 50,000 miles is about 6 million cycles. This puts the difference between the usage pressure and the bursting strength for a new tire at about a factor of 4 or 5.

That's why there are maximum usage pressures written on the sidewall of tires. Those pressures are fatigue pressures. Too many people think that because a new tire bursts at a very high pressure, you are safe using a slightly lower pressure - and nothing could be further from the truth.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
x2 not happening.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm wondering which would go first. The compressor he jury rigged by bypass the safety valve to get that much pressure, the air hose or the tire.

I'm sure it can be done but why? If you need to air up that much to carry a given load the axles will snap.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
What is 200 pounds pounds per square inch???
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

badboy368
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
When I was young (and stupid), I worked in a tire store. There were about four of us working one evening and we decided to purchase some beer after we closed up shop. So, at about 6:30 on a Saturday night, we discussed how much air a rim and tire could hold before it let go.

We took a passenger tire and rolled it about 50 yards outside the shop. We hooked some air hoses together, and adjusted to compressor's regulator to 180#. Since the air hose was activated by a foot pedal on the tire changing machine, we didn't have to get close to air it up.

We used a clip on valve connector, and put a brick on the air station's foot pedal. We all got behind the service truck in the first bay and watched... and waited, and watched.... Nothing! 180 PSI on bias ply passenger tire. No boom, nothing. So, now what? We hadn't thought of what to do with a tire that had 180psi in it. No one wanted to walk out and let the air out. After quite a bit of discussion, we figured we had two options. 1. Cut the air hose, and let the air out that way, or 2. shoot the tire with a .22 that one of the guys had in his car. We didn't want to cut the air hose because we'd have to explain the damaged hose to the boss the next day. Of course, we selected option 2.

Phil (name changed to protect the guilty) got his .22 revolver out of his truck. Please understand that this is in a city environment. We didn't want anyone to hear the noise of the .22, so Phil decided to make a silencer from a piece of pipe and some steel wool.

Once again, we all took cover, and Phil lined up for the shot. Just before he pulled the trigger, HOLY HELL broke out!!! The tire decided it was time to give up the ghost. Pieces of tire went everywhere. The boom/hiss/cussing/running was overwhelming. Most of the tire was intact, but small fragments from the sidewall were spread over an area about the size of Texas.

We just knew somebody would call the cops, so we decided to get rid of the beer, hide as much evidence as we could, lock up the shop and get out of Dodge. A few blocks from the shop, I saw a police officer heading back the way I came. I looked over my shoulder for days, and somehow, the ogre of a boss never found out.

sounds like fun to me :B
40' pusher,350 turbo cat, pullin a 37' trailer haulin a drag car. oh yea baby

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
When I was young (and stupid), I worked in a tire store. There were about four of us working one evening and we decided to purchase some beer after we closed up shop. So, at about 6:30 on a Saturday night, we discussed how much air a rim and tire could hold before it let go.

We took a passenger tire and rolled it about 50 yards outside the shop. We hooked some air hoses together, and adjusted to compressor's regulator to 180#. Since the air hose was activated by a foot pedal on the tire changing machine, we didn't have to get close to air it up.

We used a clip on valve connector, and put a brick on the air station's foot pedal. We all got behind the service truck in the first bay and watched... and waited, and watched.... Nothing! 180 PSI on bias ply passenger tire. No boom, nothing. So, now what? We hadn't thought of what to do with a tire that had 180psi in it. No one wanted to walk out and let the air out. After quite a bit of discussion, we figured we had two options. 1. Cut the air hose, and let the air out that way, or 2. shoot the tire with a .22 that one of the guys had in his car. We didn't want to cut the air hose because we'd have to explain the damaged hose to the boss the next day. Of course, we selected option 2.

Phil (name changed to protect the guilty) got his .22 revolver out of his truck. Please understand that this is in a city environment. We didn't want anyone to hear the noise of the .22, so Phil decided to make a silencer from a piece of pipe and some steel wool.

Once again, we all took cover, and Phil lined up for the shot. Just before he pulled the trigger, HOLY HELL broke out!!! The tire decided it was time to give up the ghost. Pieces of tire went everywhere. The boom/hiss/cussing/running was overwhelming. Most of the tire was intact, but small fragments from the sidewall were spread over an area about the size of Texas.

We just knew somebody would call the cops, so we decided to get rid of the beer, hide as much evidence as we could, lock up the shop and get out of Dodge. A few blocks from the shop, I saw a police officer heading back the way I came. I looked over my shoulder for days, and somehow, the ogre of a boss never found out.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)