cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2002 Journey DL no start ..

famtech
Explorer
Explorer
Now what's with this thing ?? Last weekend, I went out to where our 2002 Winnebago Journey DL is stored to perform it's monthly engine run-up. When not being driven, the chassis batteries are disconnected to prevent rundown. I reconnected the batteries and turned the key to the "ON" position. The warning lights did their usual thing, fuel gauge up to half full, buzzers telling low air and front and rear gauges showing this. All seem pretty normal EXCEPT ...

Volt meter reads zero. Glow plugs pre-heat light not lit. Odometer reads 188888. Engine cranks over but won't start. No glow plug preheat. All fuses in front check OK.

I wonder what's causing this issue ?? Sure wish I could find a XC chassis wiring diagram for this year rig. Haven't had much luck so far.

Any thoughts ??

Regards,

Jim L.
14 REPLIES 14

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
smlranger wrote:
famtech wrote:
Well, here is what was the cause of all of this. The engine ECU failed. The Electronic Control Unit and the repair cost about $3300 parts/labor to get the rig going again. Dang computers.

Regards,
Jim L.

Well, for that kind of money, I hope they gave you a big kiss ;).

If your primary issue was a failed ECU/VDU, that price seems high. I had the same coach for 2 years and had the cold solder joints referenced in this thread. Re-soldered them and it ran like a top for 2 years. The VDU failed again so I got a new one from Freightliner in Gaffney, SC. New ECU/VDU module was $458. Takes about 15 minutes to R&R the gizmo on that coach.

Now maybe you had other things going on or it took the shop mucho labor hours to find the problem. Still, $3K sounds steep,

SML,
The "ECU" and the "VDC" are two different units. I'm pretty sure you know this as you've done a lot to your coach. But, the Engine ECU, "ONLY" controls the engine. Its has nothing to do with what shows up on gauges. The Transmission ECU has the same function, to ONLY control the transmission. The "VDC" or, Vehicle Data Computer, is an "Interpreter" of sorts. It gathers all the info sent from the engine ECU, the Trans ECU, the ABS module and desipher's it, then converts what it needs to, in order to send it to the gauges, be them digital or, analog. The cost of a VDC is considerably less than an Engine ECU.

And to Bill S,
You are right, the VDC has had a somewhat less than plausible reputation. Many have had the infamous "Cold solder" joint issues. But, as I stated, that unit, the VDC in particular, is primarily a computer that receives information from the Engine and Trans ECUs and the ABS module and then combines/converts/interprets all that info and sends it to the Dash displays. That would include the annunciator panel (the multicolored light bar with all the icons that light up when the ignition is first turned on) and, all the analog gauges that perform "Operational rediness" characteristics.

But, in all I've learned about both the VDC and, it's later brother, the unit we have, called the MMDC, (Multi-Module-Data-Computer) do not have anything to do with the engine running. They only tell you what's going on WHEN it's running.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
famtech wrote:
Well, here is what was the cause of all of this. The engine ECU failed. The Electronic Control Unit and the repair cost about $3300 parts/labor to get the rig going again. Dang computers.

Regards,
Jim L.

Well, for that kind of money, I hope they gave you a big kiss ;).

If your primary issue was a failed ECU/VDU, that price seems high. I had the same coach for 2 years and had the cold solder joints referenced in this thread. Re-soldered them and it ran like a top for 2 years. The VDU failed again so I got a new one from Freightliner in Gaffney, SC. New ECU/VDU module was $458. Takes about 15 minutes to R&R the gizmo on that coach.

Now maybe you had other things going on or it took the shop mucho labor hours to find the problem. Still, $3K sounds steep,
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

famtech
Explorer
Explorer

Regards,
Jim L.

VCBandit
Explorer
Explorer
Try turning on the block heater for 2 to 3 hours and then try. Can't hurt anything and has helped in similar cases. Let us know what the final solution is.
Terry and Kim Streit
2002 Itasca Horizon (El Gordo)
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Paco)
Life is Good

stardalo
Explorer
Explorer
Bill S. wrote:
A fairly well-documented problem with this chassis, is the cold solder joints on the circuit board of the engine's ECU. If you use the search function on the forum, you should turn up a number of threads about it. Some owners who are familiar with circuid boards and small-component soldering, had reraired their ECU. Others have purchased a new one, to solve the problem. Not sure if this is what's going on here, but worth a check.

I had a VDC problem on my 03 Journey DL. I do not think it will interfere with the starting. actually, i am pretty sure you can operate the rig without one if you had to.

Bill_S_1
Explorer
Explorer
A fairly well-documented problem with this chassis, is the cold solder joints on the circuit board of the engine's ECU. If you use the search function on the forum, you should turn up a number of threads about it. Some owners who are familiar with circuid boards and small-component soldering, had reraired their ECU. Others have purchased a new one, to solve the problem. Not sure if this is what's going on here, but worth a check.
Bill, (aka Capt.Bill)
2002 Horizon 36LD, Cat 330
RVing since 1987
First State

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
Engine cranks strongly but will not start.

That may indicate a fuel problem.

Check your Shut Down Solenoid to see that it is engaging with the ignition key turned to start. You might be able to hear it engage if standing in the bedroom of your DP when the key is turned.

If it cannot be heard, locate the solenoid and pull up on the arm and wire it open. Then try the ignition. If it starts, check the 12v power to the solenoid or replace the solenoid if power is there but not causing the arm to move.

If the solenoid is fine, try priming the fuel system to remove air and send fuel to the injection pump. I do not know Cat engines but I am sure your manual will tell you.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

famtech
Explorer
Explorer
Went and put some fuel in it two months ago. Took a freeway trip to get it at a truck stop. Ran fine with no problems. Ran like a top. The rig has 46,000 miles on it and has had all the regular service performed over the years. Last summer, it made a trip to Arches NP and back on HWY 50.

Jim L.

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
How was it running before you stored it?
Running rough?

Any leaks? How long has it sat there?

famtech
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced both chassis batteries and the three house batteries last summer. When trying to start the rig, the engine cranks swift and fast. The batteries are strong with good charge. No broken wires at the battery connections. With the ign switch on and seeing the odometer reading 188888, I suspect a microprocessor problem.

Jim L.

polestar
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 06 Journey and we had a problem with one battery ( out of three) that was shorted out so it would drain the other batteries down.I replaced the bad battery but still had problem with keeping a charge; finally I replaced all three batteries and have not had one problem in three years including not having to add water !!! I check the water all the time but the batteries never need any. Just a thought, good luck with your unit. Bob

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
If the batteries are fully charged Here is a thought; Since you disconnected the batteries, have a good look to make sure you didn't forget one. On our 2002 Itasca Horizon, almost a twin of yours, I once disconnected a small wire while trying to figure things out just after we got the rig. I forgot to re-connect it. There is a sensor that won't let the rig start if everything isn't right, and in our coach it was wired directly to the batteries.

It cost me $100.00 for a service call and a missed ferry to find that out! :S

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
fcooper wrote:
Even with the chassis battery switch off, there are small loads on the battery from several computers on your coach. The most likely problem is that your batteries are low. Check the battery voltage with a meter at the batteries.

I'd try jumping with jumper cables, and allow some time for the chassis batteries to receive a charge before trying to crank.

Since you mention "XC Chassis", I am assuming that your coach is on a Freightliner chassis. You can get free help and possibly a wiring diagram from the Freightliner help desk (1 800 FTL HELP). Have the last 6 digits of your vin number available before you call.

Fred

X-2 They sent me the wiring diagram.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
Even with the chassis battery switch off, there are small loads on the battery from several computers on your coach. The most likely problem is that your batteries are low. Check the battery voltage with a meter at the batteries.

I'd try jumping with jumper cables, and allow some time for the chassis batteries to receive a charge before trying to crank.

Since you mention "XC Chassis", I am assuming that your coach is on a Freightliner chassis. You can get free help and possibly a wiring diagram from the Freightliner help desk (1 800 FTL HELP). Have the last 6 digits of your vin number available before you call.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida