cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2003 Itasca DP does not always start

SNOPRO711X
Explorer
Explorer
Last week I got the oil changed on my motor home. On the way home I stopped for fuel. When I tried to start the rig nothing happened when I turned the key. The next time I tried to start the rig it fired right up. It started just fine after that until today. Today it acted up again. About half the time nothing would happen when you turned the key. I checked the voltage at the battery and got 12.59 volts. That seems a little low to me. The batteries are not quite 3 years old.

When it does not start it does not even try to turn over

Any ideas.
15 REPLIES 15

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
SNOPRO711X wrote:
It ended up being the magnetic starter relay.

Thanks for the update. Just curious, where is the magnetic starter relay located? What wires or cable are attached to it?
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

SNOPRO711X
Explorer
Explorer
It ended up being the magnetic starter relay.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
SNOPRO711X wrote:

I am leaning towards a bad ignition switch. Tomorrow I will see what the Freightliner dealer has to say.

Worn brushes on the starter motor can do that too.
As can loose or corroded battery cable connections.
Also burnt contacts on the solenoid.

Having a meter connected at the starter when it fails can tell you a LOT about what the cause is. IF good voltage appears at the starter but it doesn't run......that's a bad starter.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

SNOPRO711X
Explorer
Explorer
Checked it our again today, it starts on the first try less than 1/2 the time. Most of the time if it did not try to start it will work the next time you try it or if you just hold the key. On a few occasions it took 4 or 5 attempts before it started. If the lights are on they do not dim if it does not start.
The battery connections checked out ok.

I am leaning towards a bad ignition switch. Tomorrow I will see what the Freightliner dealer has to say.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
wolfe10 wrote:

With a 2003 diesel pusher, he will have the Allison 3000 transmission. No "park". Not aware of one wired to have need for brake application either.

X2...there is no park and no need to push on the brake pedal. I had the same problem with our coach a couple of years ago. I cleaned all the cables/wires coming from the starter. One of the cables and a smaller wire attached to a 50 amp circuit breaker which I cleaned also.

I also cleaned the ground wire at the frame(it had a little rust on it). It has started flawlessly ever since. None of the connections looked that bad but they did have a little corrosive buildup at each connection. I guess that was enough to occasionally not allow the starter to turn over.

I would start by cleaning all your cable/wire connections. Cheap and easy fix if that is the problem.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver wrote:
SNOPRO711X wrote:
When I turn the key all the normal lights on the dash come on. When I move the key to the start position the starter does not even engage.

Try starting in neutral instead of park. Move the shift lever through the whole shift pattern and back to neutral. Push down on the brake hard if that is part of the required starting procedures. Some cars require the brake to be engaged before they will start I am not sure about your unit but it is worth a try.

It is likely something you will need to take to a dealer to fix unless you can find a Mechanic's "how to" book for your vehicle.

With a 2003 diesel pusher, he will have the Allison 3000 transmission. No "park". Not aware of one wired to have need for brake application either.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
SNOPRO711X wrote:
When I turn the key all the normal lights on the dash come on. When I move the key to the start position the starter does not even engage.

Try starting in neutral instead of park. Move the shift lever through the whole shift pattern and back to neutral. Push down on the brake hard if that is part of the required starting procedures. Some cars require the brake to be engaged before they will start I am not sure about your unit but it is worth a try.

It is likely something you will need to take to a dealer to fix unless you can find a Mechanic's "how to" book for your vehicle.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
SNOPRO711X wrote:

When it does not start it does not even try to turn over

Any ideas.

There are several possibilities but before you spend a lot of money and time in testing, try moving the gear shift lever next time it fails.

After paying for a new starter in my last pickup, I later discovered that the "neutral switch" was going bad......making the starter lockout circuit think that is was NOT in P or N. If it doesn't work in P, try N.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
When helping someone who's vehicle will not start I have them turn the headlights on and then try starting. If the headlights dim or out it's a battery/connection problem and if nothing happens to the headlights it's a key/wiring/solineod problem...rarely a starter problem after tapping on it and it still not working.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like a relay. We had a similar problem on our previous coach which was on a Ford V10.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Ours became sporadic, starting/not starting. The main wire bundle coming from the power plant in back was attached to the firewall in front. A slight tug on it and it came loose. Turns out it had never been crimped. The only thing holding it in placed was some shrink tubing. This after 11 years. So glad we found it as it had started to die going down the road. The connection was getting looser all the time. I had visions of going off a mountain after losing power. It would normally come right back, only being "disconnected" for a few seconds, but it was scary stuff. No more.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

SNOPRO711X
Explorer
Explorer

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
If by nothing when you turn the key, you mean not even a click, but the dash lights come on, then I would suspect your neutral safety switch or the linkage to it. If you mean not even the dash lights, then the ignition switch itself. If you short across the starter will the engine crank?

I had a sedan that would only start in cold weather. It needed a new neutral safety cable. The cable expanded just enough in hot weather to prevent the switch from activating. I was able to start the car for a while before the repair by hot wiring it.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
your battery is a little low. but I,d start at the cables take both off clean ,also check water level in battery charge .might even have a load test done.