cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5 star tune

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
guys or even gals, if you have a Ford V10, get the 5star tune, it will be the best $400 you ever spent on your coach. I cant believe the difference in the shifting, downshifting or lack of. The engine seems to sound better especially when climbing. Next is the banks power pack
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar
17 REPLIES 17

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
OK, On some newer vehicles recently (2013 and 2014) the manuf. put a code in the PCM so that when a non-manuf. tune (read;aftermarket tune) the PCM will store that code and it is not eraseable, meaning it will be there for eternity! when you bring a vehicle in for driveline service they will scan for codes and if that is in there...bye bye warranty! Yes the tuner will save your stock tune, but the aftermarket tune has it`s own VIN. so when it doesn`t match the manuf. VIN the PCM flags it and saves the code.

Now, once it`s out of warranty then you can do whatever you want! and that is what I would do. tune it once the warranty expires!
I wonder if Mike from 5Star would post here about his?

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
bummer
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, On some newer vehicles recently (2013 and 2014) the manuf. put a code in the PCM so that when a non-manuf. tune (read;aftermarket tune) the PCM will store that code and it is not eraseable, meaning it will be there for eternity! when you bring a vehicle in for driveline service they will scan for codes and if that is in there...bye bye warranty! Yes the tuner will save your stock tune, but the aftermarket tune has it`s own VIN. so when it doesn`t match the manuf. VIN the PCM flags it and saves the code.

Now, once it`s out of warranty then you can do whatever you want! and that is what I would do. tune it once the warranty expires!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
nope easy to do. it will come two ways. a pre programed tune that you download, or a custom tune thats emailed to you, you upload into the device via software that you can get on thir website, and then download into your coach.

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
Is the 5star a DIY effort or do we need a dealer install?

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
I had the 5star tune in my 2005 gas with the ford f53 310 hp. I could load the 5star tune and also remove it and put the original setting back in. Every once in a while I would get an up date. Before you could load the update you had to restore the original setting first.

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
smacdiesel wrote:
Does this setup effect the Ford warranty?

Probably? And i believe the new PCM's will save a code (non eraseable) in the memory that shows it had an aftermarket flash (tune). Once it's out of warranty is when i would flash it, then I wouldn't even worry about it!

thats not what 5 star says. when you upload the new tune it saves the original, so they say

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
smacdiesel wrote:

Probably? And i believe the new PCM's will save a code (non eraseable) in the memory that shows it had an aftermarket flash (tune). Once it's out of warranty is when i would flash it, then I wouldn't even worry about it!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
OK... showing my ignorance here... I have a Banks Power sticker on the front of my RV, but it was there when I bought the coach. So what does that actually mean...besides I have a sticker on it.. ๐Ÿ˜‰
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

smacdiesel
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Winnebago Vista 35B
1983 Jeep CJ 8 Scrambler

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
hanko wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
so if I get this I have to spring for the high test $$$$$ fuel?
bumpy

No it tuned for 87 octane

Yep any octane you want. I have the 89 octane tunes (economy, towing and performance). you can get either of the 3 87, 89 or 93! or any combination of the 3. and you can change some of the settings through the tuner if you`de like.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

No it tuned for 87 octane

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
hanko wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Yes 5 star is the best for the V-10. I have it on my 02 and it was money well spent. I got it for the improved shifting strategy, which it does very well! a side benefit Is that I gained almost .5mpg towing! wish I would`ve gotten it years ago!

I`m assuming you have the coach in your sig? 2014? I was wondering how well the stock V-10 and 5 speed performed? glad it is working out well!

I was rather surprised that it hauled as well as it did, i weigh 22,500 loaded. Its in getting a banks power pack installed as we speak. Mike at 5 star custom tuned it for the power pack. The lack of downshifting is what impressed me. With the new fuel parameters set, it really rumbles

Good to know! We are looking at class A`s and I was curious how well the new Ford Chassis performed. thanks for the update!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is