cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50 amp surge protectors

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a surge protector, any recommendations for the best.
50 REPLIES 50

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for posting the link for the chart. I've always been impressed with PI units as I've owned a 30 amp unit for 6 years and recently upgraded to a 50 amp unit when we purchased our MH. From what I see on the chart, PI is the way to go!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I bought my HW50C in 2004 and it WAS significantly better than any TRC/Southwire product. Since then TRC upgraded and compatible units from the two companies are similar.

My HW50C was mounted on a wall in the first MH and now on the ceiling in the current MH. No problems and no difficulty wiring it correctly.

I've never felt the need for just a "surge" protector. A power protector or EMS is essential for me. I wouldn't have a pedestal unit or one without a remote display. There have been just way to many times when the inside display have been convenient or the conditions would change before I could get outside to see a display. The only inside display downside that I see is one has to run the data cable as part of the installation.

Click for a Comparison Chart. To me the chart indicates that the PI units are better for specs and cost. I've had no reason to validate any of the chart information since my HW50C just keeps on ticking so I'll leave that up to others. :B
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:
Thank you. We actually have both too. The Surge Guard transfer switch hard wired into our old MH and new one as well. It monitors power surges and low power and miswired shore power.

We still use our Progressive portable we've owned for over 8 years. Plugging it into the shore power and then hook up the rigs 50 amp. Last rig we had a issue with the Surge Guard hard wired unit kept cutting the power at different campgrounds more than once. My assumption is it wasn't calibrate. Had it checked numerous times. All the while the Progressive at the post never shut down.

The hard wired Surge Guard was 3-4 volts high and would trigger if the shore power was running high. We checked the post with a multimeter and it was always different than what the hard wired Surge Guard transfer switch showed. I've heard other people also have had the same issue with the hard wired Surge Guard.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Sharing information can never hurt anyone.
That's interesting. I actually replaced my Surge Guard transfer switch/surge with a higher end 40350-RVC last year because the factory 41260 was only "limited" protection. The new one reads inside and I compare it to the EMS and if I remember they are consistent.

Both Surge Guard and the Progressive Industries have worked fine for us except for those annoyances I pointed out earlier about the Progressive Industries. Specification wise, there is probably no advantage to one or the other if comparing similar models, so I guess your experience supports my point actually. Chevy or Ford, they both do the job, but different folks have different experiences. A person has to be aware what's available, research a bit, then decide. Testimonials are probably the least reliable information.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

westom
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
Please don't confuse me with somebody that cares what you buy - because I don't.

Anyone can match your insults with insults. When you are ready, please do what adults do. Post facts with numbers that justify a Southwire recommendation. An emotional attachment to a Southwire contributes nothing useful.

Last post was only subjective - said nothing useful. No hard facts justified that recommendation. Not even listed are which functions exist in a loveableproduct.

Please post something useful starting with which anomalies are averted by a Southwire - with numbers. Which specifications are relevant? What are functions listed in an honest recommendation?

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. We actually have both too. The Surge Guard transfer switch hard wired into our old MH and new one as well. It monitors power surges and low power and miswired shore power.

We still use our Progressive portable we've owned for over 8 years. Plugging it into the shore power and then hook up the rigs 50 amp. Last rig we had a issue with the Surge Guard hard wired unit kept cutting the power at different campgrounds more than once. My assumption is it wasn't calibrate. Had it checked numerous times. All the while the Progressive at the post never shut down.

The hard wired Surge Guard was 3-4 volts high and would trigger if the shore power was running high. We checked the post with a multimeter and it was always different than what the hard wired Surge Guard transfer switch showed. I've heard other people also have had the same issue with the hard wired Surge Guard.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Sharing information can never hurt anyone.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I have installed both, as I mentioned in my original post. I was trying not to be critical of PI, or throw my testimonial out there to be chewed up because everyone has a testimonial, usually one that supports their expenditure more than anything else.

But you asked, -

• Surge Guard has a larger, more complete line than Progressive Industries, including power conditioners and transfer switch/surge combination units - I see that as a bigger depth and maybe a bigger history than Progessive Industries.
  • Surge Guard is used as factory equipment in many higher end MHs, whereas I see Progressive Industries only as aftermarket.
  • The Surge Guard unit has a lot more room to work inside than the Progressive Industries
  • The sensor rings are built in on the Surge Guard, on Progressive Industries you have to try to thread your conductors through them in that tight space
  • My instructions for Progressive Industries were printed showing the rough in upside down causing me to have to remove and start over - when I mentioned it to customer service on another issue, she actually laughed and said "ya they know"
  • Through several issues with the LCD readout card falling out on my Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C because the socket is upside down, the card actually shorted out. Customer service was unsympathetic and I actually had to buy a new LCD card. Ultimately I wire tied it in to make it stay in the sockety
  • Southwire Customer Service has been excellent in my opinion both on the phone and with owners at the rallies

That is my basis for thinking Southwire is better - others may have varying results. My main point is beware there are others out there besides Progressive Industries ๐Ÿ™‚

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious how you're able to rate one from the other. Did one work where the other failed? Have you owned both to be able to give a experienced answer? If there's a failure or downside to one or the other, that would be the place to start discussing it.

Other that that it doesn't help anyone make a decision without a reason to advise one over the other.

Why address a thread that one is better without backing it up. Just telling everyone else to do the research

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
westom wrote:
Every claim is subjective - best ignored. If a Southwire is superior, then we all need specification numbers that says so. I only read his emotions; no facts. Where are the always required numbers that must be learned long before having any opinion?
Are you talking about my post supporting Southwire?

Please don't confuse me with somebody that cares what you buy - because I don't. I was pointing out there are alternatives, and in my opinion better alternatives, if anyone cares to do the research themselves. It's not my job to convince you.

Not applicable
Progressive. Bought mine 4 yrs ago. Liked the lifetime warranty. 50a.

westom
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
I, for one, appreciate 2oldman's abilities to do searches. It saves me time.

However nothing has been posted. Every claim is subjective - best ignored. If a Southwire is superior, then we all need specification numbers that says so. I only read his emotions; no facts. Where are the always required numbers that must be learned long before having any opinion?

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi Mile High,

OK

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mile High,

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mile High wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Thread marked for when this question is asked again.
Who cares?! It's a forum, not an archive.
Nobody's stopping you.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Who cares?! It's a forum, not an archive.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman