cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$700 replacement toilet????

redT2go
Explorer
Explorer
We took our Fleetwood Expedition MH in for repairs. One of the repairs that needed to be done was replacing the toilet. For the toilet alone we were just quoted $700!! When my husband asked why he was told that it was a special toilet and would have to order from Fleetwood. Since I didn't speak with them I'm not sure what kind of special toilet it is. It seems and works just like any other toilet we have had in campers. It has no special features. My question is: Are camping toilets universal or do we need a Fleetwood toilet? Any insights would be helpful. I plan on calling the service department tomorrow morning but wanted to be prepared.
31 REPLIES 31

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I believe my toilet is over $2,500.00
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
A LOT of speculation. Until the OP states what Brand and Model of Toilet, NOBODY and I mean NOBODY can state what is true about the cost. They state it seems like every toilet they have had before. But, Plastic toilets are a lot less expensive than RV Porceleun Toilets. The ONE thing that we can state true is, Fleetwood does NOT build Toilets. NO RV maker does. Doug

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the repair place is on a military base...
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
In 14 years, we've replaced our toilet in our Class A twice. The first time with the same model, etc., we bought from Amazon. Parts kept breaking on it. So the second time, we bought a different one at a liquidater in Elkhart, Indiana. Working great after a couple years. It's a different style, but fits in the space great.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Bruce_Brown
Another question would be why does it need a complete replacement? How about a simple rebuild?

I replaced the water/flush valve in ours for well under $100. (Might have been closer to $25.00. It was awhile ago, don't remember the exact number, but it wasn't much.)
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
🙂 Hi, special toilet???? Well with my trailer I had to find one that would fit in my trailer. OK first I wanted to replace my plastic toilet with a china bowl toilet. Next problem is that my toilet spacing is only 9"s. I believe 11" to 12"s is normal. I had to find a china toilet that would fit my wall spacing. Now I had to relocate and modify my water line to fit this new toilet. I did mine by myself for under $300.00.
🙂 Bob 🙂
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

parkdep
Explorer
Explorer

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Local RV place just quoted me right at $500 for a new low profile for my Monaco. I got it from PPL for right at $350 including shipping. And it is the right 4 bolt hook up with a sprayer so I don't need the $58 adaptor for a 2 bolt.....I am old and not 2 smart and takes about an hour to change out.

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
Just looked at Amazon. Good RV toilets run $112-$150. Only a very inexperienced technician could take 3 to 4.5 hours ($150 or $100/hr)to install a toilet.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the toilet, $700 isn't so pricy. My coach has Tecma Mercerator toilets which cost $1,400 plus installation. You may have Vaccuflush toilets and they aren't cheap.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
"Fleetwood doesn't make toilets - they buy them from Thetford, or other manufacturers, just like you can..."

The above is true. (most of the time)

Look in the owners manual(s) satchel that came with your MH. The make/model of your toilet will be listed on a supplied brochure as well as the installation instructions. A quick google search for the make/model will give you a reasonable retail price. Add an hour of labor (@+-$135/hour) and that should give you a ballpark price. Expect reasonable shop material fees to be added. (+-$50) Add applicable sales tax. Unless there are special unforeseen conditions, (see installation instructions) it should be a very simple job.

Chum lee

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
300 for a porcelain bowl "Residential" type
150 for the hour's labor
250 for the fact it's a TOILET not a SINK.

Actually that last line is a joke but it may be how they are thinking.

And it may be there is damage to the flooring that needs fixing. If it's JUST the toilet the first two lines are reasonable. but if the floor is messed up.> Well 700 is cheep.

Just re-did mine

Job is 2 or 4 bolts and 1 or 2 water connections. I replaced one make with another so it was a touch more involved.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
is that Holland kentucky

or Holland overseas ?

i can imagine a $200 toilet for USA RV becoming an expensive imported item if going to Europe
A couple comodes I looked at were almost $500 each. Yes, they can be expensive.

redT2go
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your responses. When you feel like you are being taken advantage of...you probably are!

We are from Holland Ohio. I have heard of Holland, MI but didn't realize there was a Holland, KY also.

MrWizard
is that Holland kentucky

or Holland overseas ?

i can imagine a $200 toilet for USA RV becoming an expensive imported item if going to Europe
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s