cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

91 Georgie Boy Cruise Aire 3

squidnapper
Explorer
Explorer
My mother is looking at a 91 Georgie Boy cruise air III. She only has about 10k to spend and this fits in her budget. She is looking to full time and I'm trying to help her find the best rig for the money. The coach has a ford 460 and 4speed trans. It seems like a nice rig and I've looked at everything I can think of (tires, motor for leaks, plumbing, roof, appliances). Is there anything else in particular I should look at? Are Georgie boys considered quality rigs? Anything else I should be looking at instead given price constraints?
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
9 REPLIES 9

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Really the best thing to do is to check it out and inspect it as much as possible. 91 can still be good coach.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

squidnapper
Explorer
Explorer
She is planning to travel in it

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
...Check for delaminations around driver and passenger windows around mirrors...

I forgot that one, check the mirrors. Just grab them and gently shake them. They should not move, if they do then the wood behind them is rotted out. When you drive it the mirrors should not vibrate, if they do then they are loose for some reason.

Also if it has a driver door take a close look at the bottom. That was another place water would get into and cause damage.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
Is she going to travel in it full time or will she stay put? Full timers do it both ways.
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser

Explorer
Explorer
She should also have a $5,000 reserve fund for the inevitable problems that will come with a unit that is 24 years old-------------especially a unit that was near the bottom of the food chain when it was new.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

squidnapper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the help

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Besides checking all the normal stuff tires,leaks,appliances all working etc. Check for delaminations around driver and passenger windows around mirrors. Also check for exhaust manifold leaks and broken manifold bolts. Any Ford or Chevy of that vintage I would look for one with headers.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
The Pursuit was the entry level GBM while the Cruise Air was the top of the line. I had a Cruise Master with the 460 and we were very pleased with it for the price.

That Cruise Air will be at the top of the entry level MH's. Prior to 97-8 they were family made and built well, they sold to Coachman when things changed and not for the better.

If I was you I would keep looking for a Ford V10. They will be a much better motor then the 460. If you are going to go this route then things I would look out for are:
  • exhaust bolt on rear passenger side, they break off
  • Brakes, they tend to rust stuck
  • easy shifting, some can be pretty hard
  • rear sway bar bushings, they rot out
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

glamisorbust
Explorer
Explorer
I owned a 94 georgie boy pursuit. It was an ok unit, I wouldn't say it was great. It only held 35 gallons of water, floor plan was very tight. I think fleetwood builds a way better product, and I have owned both.

Mine had the chevy chassis, I understand the ford is much better. Georgie boy has been out of business for years. Not that it means anything, you can still get parts. But I would look for something besides what you're looking at, if I were in your shoes.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 38'. Cummins ISB 275, allison 3060.
Toys pulled: 22x8.5 open deck PJ flatbed. 5200# axles. Sand car with ecotec engine. Multiple 1980's ATC's(3 wheelers). We're duners!