cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A Propane Use Question

USMC46
Explorer
Explorer
In the interest of conserving propane, does it use less propane to leave the propane water heater on full time during the day when out and about; or is better to shut it down and then turn it on when you need it and wait for the hot water ? The wait is not an issue and this question assumes we are dry-docking with no electric water heater. It seems to heat up fast. Is it a waste to have it cycling on and off all day and night when you're not using it ? Thoughts ?
Jim & Carmel

2016 Escape 17b
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk With Factory Tow Package
22 REPLIES 22

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
USMC46 wrote:
..... this question assumes we are dry-docking with no electric water heater.

Ok, all you folks that have told how you save propane by using electric, go back and reread the original question. The assumption was NO ELECTRIC as an option.

When traveling, my water heater is heated by the engine coolant so if just an overnight stop, I don't turn the unit on as the water is still warm in the morning. If staying longer, I generally turn it on and leave it on as mine is older and is a manual light vs the more modern electric (12 volt) ignition units.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

chili_s_trip
Explorer II
Explorer II
I turn on the water heater. I don't turn on the hotwater heater as it is already hot! :S

Jack H
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 32W 8.1.
2009 Honda Fit Sport

jswat
Explorer
Explorer
I've only turned my LPG water heater on about 2 times in 6 years. My electric water
heater is super, it provides all the hot water my DW and I need. It stays on when we are hooked up to shore power and we have plenty of hot water. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
We turn ours on in the mornings when we shower and then shut it off. The water will stay hot all day enough to wash your hands or dishes. If you need more you can always turn it on again.

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
We put ours on electric mode during the day and night and the gas when we shower or need extra hot water.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
They make an electric element that replaces your anode rod on some water heaters that will allow you to use RV park electric to heat your water. This would save your propane. Electric WH adapter

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I usually leave our water heater on. It seems to retain heat pretty well. Awhile ago our neighbors at a campground had a water heater that seemed to turn on multiple times an hour, whether or not they were using it. I almost walked over to ask if there was something wrong with it, but I guess it was just a poorly insulated heater.

I think the phrase is: Your Mileage May Vary!

Lobstah
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you that turn it off except when you're going to need it...do you also turn off your home hot water heater in your sticksNbricks home? That has a lot more impact on your yearly energy spend than saving a gallon of propane over the course of a season.

Just sayin ๐Ÿ™‚

And you can probably argue until the cows come home about whether anyone saves anything given that it takes more energy to heat it back up than to keep it hot to begin with. That pesky "energy" thing ๐Ÿ™‚
Think of your car going from a dead stop to 65mph. It can take a lot of horsepower to get your car up to 65mph, but once there, assuming flat ground, it only takes minimal horsepower to maintain that speed.

When we camp, I could care less whether someone shuts off the propane hot water or not. It's such a minimal expense that I refuse to even think about it.
2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
1 Boxer ๐Ÿ˜ž
3 Maine Coon cats

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
The only reason I can see to turn it off is so it doesnโ€™t disturb you or your neighbor during the night. Those things can be noisy, especially atwoods.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

chili_s_trip
Explorer II
Explorer II
I run the heater for 15 to 25 minutes depending on ambient temp but just enough for a warm shower without mixing with cold. For all other uses I use a tea kettle. When boondocking conserving water and propane is important. Good luck.
Jack H
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 32W 8.1.
2009 Honda Fit Sport

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone have an on demand HWH? I was thinking about replacing my tanked unit with one when it craps out.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
robsouth wrote:
It ain't worth worrying about, but it will save a little.
X-2

Born_To_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
The first thing I do in the morning is turn on the hot water heater.. By the time I Make coffee and turn on the morning news it is hot enough to shave and take a shower... After breakfast I turn it off and don't turn it on again until dinnertime.. When on the road I leave it off due to fuel stops...

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

My ten gallon tank cycles ever four hours. I tend to run it only in the morning and then let it "coast" the rest of the day. This saves a significant amount of propane.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.