Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A vs. C

broncobill1964
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,
We currently own a 2009 Kingsport 295 QB and are thinking of selling the TT and buying a motorhome.
We just don't know if we want to get a class A or C.
I've read a lot about both and they have their own ups and downs.
Looking for some help from those that have/had owned these. Is there any one that has owned both and prefer one over the other?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
23 REPLIES 23

KristinU
Explorer
Explorer
I could ditto a lot of the comments on why we chose C over A, but one thing that hasn't been mentioned is height. Our C is 31 feet, so it is pretty big as far as C's go, but we still hit a lot of state parks and such. But, even if access is decent for a longer rig, the branch overhang is often bad enough with a C but it would be impossible with an A.

The other thing for us is the time factor. We figure that a Ford Econoline chassis can be looked at and fixed in darn near any small town across the US rather than having to be towed somewhere for work. Not a big deal with roadside and towing coverage, but a big deal to our time budget since we're both still working full time and we have a school aged kid. When time isn't so much the essence this won't weigh in as much for us.

I think it really comes down to your plans and your camping crew and your style.
Cheers!
Kristin
2008 Winnebago Chalet 31C
My camping party: me, DH, DS, and 2 DK9s
Our Blog: www.winnieadventures.blogspot.com

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
I drove my Father-in-Law's Class A pretty extensively years ago, but I now own a Class C. I won't try to compare a much older A unit to a newer C unit, but in general, the C drives much easier for me and I'm not as fatigued after driving longer hours in the C. Having said that, I encourage you to visit a large RV show, and check out the various RVs and compare/contrast the factors that matter most to you.

My personal factors were: the C had truck doors to exit the unit in addition to the coach door, the C has airbags for protection, the C could sleep more people, the C can more easily fit in smaller campgrounds and parking spots, the chassis component can be serviced in many more locals with common parts readily available, the cost of service is generally less expensive, and our 27 footer can easily handle the 2 of us and our 2 adult children and our stuff with plenty of OCCC left over. Our longest trip so far has been a five week transcontinental journey, and we did not feel we needed more RV or a tow vehicle.

A point about OCCC. We spent a lot of time at RV shows before making our purchase. Some find the following hard to believe, but it is true. We checked out some Class A units that would have been overloaded with only the four members of our family on board. Not making this up. So, one cannot generalize that a Class A will have more OCCC than a Class C. You need to check out each RV yourself and make sure it will safely carry your family and your stuff. Our 27 Class C has approx. 2900 pounds of OCCC, more than ample for our needs. BTW, I had our RV four corner weighed at an FMCA rally to make sure we were safe.

Good luck on your search.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I know someone with a class C, and they loved it. Because of weekly street sweeping, they had to move it twice a week, and also took it to every soccer game to have their own bathroom!

I like my class A, as most have enough GVWR to have extra cargo rating, and I have automatic jacks and the ability to tow my 4,200 pound Ford Edge. Many class C's are very close in curb weight to the GVWR, and can not carry to much cargo. That is why I upgraded from a 1985 class C that could not tow anything to a new 1997 class C with a 5,000 pound tow rating. It also had much better cooling system, and larger engine.

Good luck with your search. I think you will find that many class A's don't sleep more than about 4-5 people (mine sleeps 6 standard, but with the dinette delete option I picked, only sleeps 4). My buddy's class A Country Coach only sleeps 2 in the rear queen bed, he likes it that way, but when I went along as the driver, I had to sleep in his recliner, and did not like it much at all. . .

Many class C's will sleep say 6 - 8 (I have seen them sleep as many as 10) but only have seat belts for about 4-6. My buddy's class C only had a 1,200 pound cargo rating (including water, food, camping gear and people!) This did not work well with his 5,000 pound cargo trailer and it's 500 pound hitch weight and the two teens at 160# each, that along with his wife and his weight, 50 gallons of water (alone is 400#) was WAY over the GVWR of the motorhome.

Only the "Super C" built on the GMC 5500 series truck chassis had a decent GVWR of 19,000 pounds. Yet GMC stopped building the 5500 series trucks and the 8.1L engines in 2007. It was not much later that GMC stopped making motorhome chassis too. . . You can buy a new F-550 based pickup class C, with a decent cargo rating and 19,500 GVWR. You can get the F-550 with either the powerful 6.8L V10 or equally powerful (but heavier) 6.7L Turbodiesel. You can get 4X4 or 2 wheel drive as well.

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Class A will have more interior room, but the Class C has more accident protection in front of you.

Had a Class A, but really got old with only one normal exit. Really noticed the difference when pulling up to the gas pump. With the Class C you swing open the door and look or slide out and fill her up.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago we had a nice HR Class A Imperial, it was nice once you got to your destination and was fine driving on the interstate. But on narrower two-lane roads or driving in towns it wasn't as good. From there we went to a PW Excel which was really great for travel and driving and I especially liked the gas mileage, about 16mpg, twice that of the HR. But in camp it could be confining especially if you were stuck inside during inclement weather; so now we have a 23ft Class C and it so far seems to fit our needs just fine. Easy to drive, more room than the B, reasonable gas mileage. So for motorhomes, I like the Class C best. Don't want a 5er or TT either.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
We had a fifth wheel and wanted to move to a class A or C so we looked at both. The same size A had much more room and storage than the C. My CEO/Navigator could get up and move about in the A and in most of the class C's that was nearly impossible. As the driver I had much more room in the class A pilot's seat than I did in any of the C's we looked at.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Where and how you will use your next RV will determine which is the better choice. The more info you share the more good input you will receive. What are you plans both short and long term? On the Class C Forum you will hear more good about C's, on the Class A Forum most will prefer A's. :B

We sold our 22' TT 18 months ago going to a nice 24' Class C and after 21,000+ miles haven't looked back. For us the ability to take much longer trips with all of the same, if not more amenities and none of the hassles of dragging a trailer has been priceless. I have no problem with Class A's but for our use the C is a much better fit in so many ways.

As always.... Opinions and YMMV

:C

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Ha had 4 A's and this C we have now.
For us it was long term and lots of storage with the A. Now short term stays and not as much storage needed. We also preferred a C without the over cab Rug Rat Room.
Found the ride in our C was smoother. As I do not sit right over the front axel.

So kind of depends on your use and what fits your needs.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
You said it, they both have ups and downs. That front cab bed is really nice if you have pre-teens and teens. If you have mobility issues it can be really difficult to get up from a C even a super-C. You can have your C serviced without having the greasy technician climb through your motorhome. Many A's have heavier suspensions and larger tires giving a smoother ride. So you must consider the type of floorplan that fits you best. Your budget, what you want to tow, how much gear you intent to take. There are some really beautiful C's and super-C's out there.
Happy Trails.