cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advantages and Disadvantages of Portable Sewage Disposal

Tom_Glenn
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Class A Coach. For the most part we have stayed in private RV resorts with full hook up. We are venturing out into some of the state parks without on site sewage disposal. The question is: Is it better to move the RV during an extended (1 week) stay to dump grey and black water or purchase a portable sewage caddy?
24 REPLIES 24

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
mowermech wrote:
I bought one of those totes years ago.
I used it once, at home, then it sat under the bench in the shop for 5 years or so, until I dusted it off and sold it in a garage sale for $15.
Why did it sit so long? Because I was reminded that most of the USFS campgrounds and State Parks we go to do not have dump stations! If I filled the tote, I would have to figure out how to take it home with me!
When the nearest dump station is 10 to 40 miles away, one tends to be VERY conservative about water usage!

..In that situation, I would put the tote tank up in the truck bed, and buy/use a pump to fill it up from the RV. I've always have liked that idea. Then, you can easily just drive to the dump station, and empty the tote tank.

I think that would still be easier than breaking camp and driving the RV that far to dump the tanks every few days.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Pass42
Explorer
Explorer
We have a blue 4 wheel tote.. used it this weekend, in fact... we were at a NYS campground, filled the grey tank... used the tote, hooked it to my Jeep hitch, drove to the campground's dump site, emptied, rinsed, and back to camp....
MUCH quicker and easier than breaking camp with the bus.......
2017 Montana High Country 375FL
2015 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty, Cummins 6.7, factory tow package, factory snow plow prep package

Tntman
Explorer
Explorer
Okay,did someone not question the holding tank sizes before purchase?
With my wife a I showering daily and washing dishes, we can go seven or eight days before the grey tank is full. 14 days or longer on the he black tank.
One of my priorities when purchasing was large holding tanks.
100 gallons of fresh water,70 gallon grey tank and 50 gallon black tank.
ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST,
Mike, Jill and our dog Goshe
Our Booger dog is with us in a custom urn, miss ya Boogs
2003 Tiffin Phaeton, Roadmaster tow products, 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Good Sam, SKP, FMCA F292654

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
smacdiesel wrote:
I watched a camper use one of those and it overflowed all over his campsite! The raw sewage flowed in the driveway and people were grossed out walking around the mess, it stunk really bad as well. I felt for the guy because the rv snobs really gave him the stares. I told myself there is no way I would ever use one of those.
Campers can just as easily go to the dump station and overflow there as well. I've seen some messy dump stations in my time.

Overflows are overflows and can happen anywhere, tote or dump station.

I wouldn't avoid using a dump station because someone once overflowed there no more than I would avoid using a tote because someone once overflowed with it.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one of those totes years ago.
I used it once, at home, then it sat under the bench in the shop for 5 years or so, until I dusted it off and sold it in a garage sale for $15.
Why did it sit so long? Because I was reminded that most of the USFS campgrounds and State Parks we go to do not have dump stations! If I filled the tote, I would have to figure out how to take it home with me!
When the nearest dump station is 10 to 40 miles away, one tends to be VERY conservative about water usage!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Southwind98
Explorer
Explorer
smacdiesel wrote:
I watched a camper use one of those and it overflowed all over his campsite! The raw sewage flowed in the driveway and people were grossed out walking around the mess, it stunk really bad as well. I felt for the guy because the rv snobs really gave him the stares. I told myself there is no way I would ever use one of those.

Sorry, but that just operator error. To overflow to go on driveway and campsite means someone wasn't paying attention, walked away, or was using to small of a tote.

To each his own, it's easier for me to hook sewer line into 42 gallon barker tote, pull a valve, watch tank overflow gauge, close valve, disconnect line, hook tote to hitch, drive to dump station, dump same as if I was dumping motorhome. Than to go thru the process willald described

willald wrote:
Do remember, that if you chose to break camp to go dump the gray tank, that means every few days you will have to:

1. Bring in all slideouts
2. Stowe everything inside the RV thats not bolted down, that could fall over and/or break when you move.
3. retract all jacks
4. Pick up/move any leveling blocks or wheel chocks you are using
5. Disconnect water line and shore power line
6. Move anything at your site out of the way that might be in the way of going out of and re-entering your site (bicycles, etc)
Will & Michelle
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38P
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1990 Jeep Wrangler

smacdiesel
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Winnebago Vista 35B
1983 Jeep CJ 8 Scrambler

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Are you camping in Florida? When I used my blue tote, the campgrounds told me it was illegal to tote sewage in Florida with them so please check on that.

Have you looked to see if there is a honey wagon (pump out) service? I'd call the campground and ask them.

I loved my Barker tote. It was very easy to carry because I strapped it on to my back ladder on top of the ladder bike rack with a couple of bungee cords. To empty it, I would tow it behind my car using the ring in the handle on the tow hitch.

For me and my family, it was much faster to dump using the blue tote than to unhook and move the Class A and then do it all over again on the way back.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
..This is one of those questions that there is no 100% right answer to.

For some folks, breaking camp and driving (or towing) the RV to a dump station every so often to dump grey tanks is easier; For others, such is a huge PITA and using the storage tote tank is much easier. It all depends on the specific individual and their circumstances: How much work is involved in breaking camp and setting back up, how far dump station is, how often grey tanks fill up, what kind of setup you have with a tote tank, etc.

We also camp fairly often without a sewer hookup. For us, even though we have a class A MH, breaking camp to go dump tanks, then come back and setting everythng back up again....is way, waaaaaaaaay more hassle than its worth, and not something I'd ever do. We are a family of 4, all of whom enjoy taking showers every day. Between that and other things, our grey tank will only last 1-2 days maximum before its full and has to be emptied. If we're going to a place without sewer hookups, we always bring our Barker 'blue boy' 4 wheel tote tank for this. Have had it, done it that way for as long as I can remember and its always worked great.

Do remember, that if you chose to break camp to go dump the gray tank, that means every few days you will have to:

1. Bring in all slideouts
2. Stowe everything inside the RV thats not bolted down, that could fall over and/or break when you move.
3. retract all jacks
4. Pick up/move any leveling blocks or wheel chocks you are using
5. Disconnect water line and shore power line
6. Move anything at your site out of the way that might be in the way of going out of and re-entering your site (bicycles, etc)

..Then when you're finished dumping the tanks, you have to re-do all those things back the way they were!! Seems like a waste of a LOT of time. I can think of much better ways to use that time when I'm out camping. 🙂

Anyway, if you chose the tote tank route, I highly, highly recommend you get one that has 4 wheels and can be towed (slowly) behind a vehicle. This makes it MUUUCH easier, since you don't have to lift that thing when its full of water. Also, if you have a pickup or SUV, the suggestion made earlier about putting the tank in the truck and using a pump to fill it is a great one. That would make it VERY easy.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy the trip, whichever way you go. 🙂
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
2oldman wrote:
It depends on how much time it takes to break down, drive, dump, then set up again.

In a 5th wheel it's a no-brainer to use a tote. I don't care if I have to make 4 trips to the dump with it. It amazes me when I see others breaking camp to do this, but to each his or her own.

A class A would be much easier to drive to the dump, I think.

We have a 5th wheel and it would easily have been less time and effort to just hook up.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a portable dump caddy when I purchased my first motorhome, some 40 years ago. I still own it (the caddy), it sits on the side of the house, and I have used it twice. Both times on Girl Scout encampments (many years ago with the daughters) when moving the rig would be impractical. And remember, even with those hard plastic wheels, the caddy with 20 or 30 gallons of fluid weights a sh*** load. (did I really type that?)
Happy Trails.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Don't forget all the stuff you gotta put away so it doesn't fall off the counters onto the floor.

Museum Putty, is the easy solution.

The rest should be put away
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't forget all the stuff you gotta put away so it doesn't fall off the counters onto the floor.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Tom_Glenn
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the responses. I will drive over rather than use a Caddy. Thanks again.