cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air compressor

jjson775
Explorer
Explorer
My old Craftsman portable 120 V compressor failed on me and I need a new one. I need something that I can adapt to a dual foot chuck to inflate dual wheels. Any suggestions? Thanks

Jim
22 REPLIES 22

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Path of least resistance: HF has 95275 on coupon sale $39.99. Getting another one. If I get another 7 years use it's a bargain.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:

But before I do, what do you guys like that 1. has a tank, 2. at least 100 PSI, 3. No Taller than 13"...?

Have you looked at these?
Dewalt 1 gallon 135 PSI Trim Compressor
The price has gone up about $30 since we got one about 2 years ago. We have only topped off the tires with it and it works for that. Don't know about flat to full. Have also used it for baseboards with a tack gun and it worked great for that too as well as little air filling jobs around the house. The air does escape sometimes from the tank, it seems to have a sensitive air release valve. I bought a Porter Cable first and it would not even hold air so I returned it and got the Dewalt that was a little more expensive. It fits great in our storage area and I have an inexpensive impact wrench too. Harbor Freight is really unbeatable for air tools.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our little HF 95275 died today. Well, more like heart failure and barely alive. RV spare was inflated low by the tire shop, about 60 PSI and I wanted a full 80. Compressor did it. Today I inflated five trailer tires from 45 to 50. Fine. Got through three van tires going from 30 to 35 and nope, no more than 30 PSI. A friend on another forum had one quit on him. Found the "Piston Ring" is a donut made of felt fabric, not available as a repair part. For the price I may just go ahead and get another HF compressor.
But before I do, what do you guys like that 1. has a tank, 2. at least 100 PSI, 3. No Taller than 13"...?

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
To provide air pressure requires a Compressor. But in some circles a compressor mounted on an air tank is still a Compressor. And a compressor without the tank is called an Inflator. If all you're doing is inflating tires, an Inflator will do a great job and save space doing it. We have a Compressor, cheap Harbor Freight 95275

Incorporates a Tank, and it's great for bikes and lawn equipment, good for cars (around 35-40-psi) OK for trailer tires (50-psi). Our Class C tires max at 80-psi and the compressor's 100-psi rating is only barely adequate. Takes a very long time to raise pressure from 70 to 80 for example. Good for our little air-powered stapler/tacker, not enough volume to inflate pool toys.
You get the idea, get what you pay for. I'm glad I have it. Just fits in a storage bay, the next size bigger pancake unit would not. I'd say 125-psi minimum capability for 80-psi rated tires. By that point in the pressure rating, I'd need an Inflator to save the space of the tank.

We have this as well. Might take 5 min to raise a tire from 50 to 65 psi. Probably longer working in the 70-85 range. 8 yeaars and going on ours.
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

posid123
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, choose a durable air compressor is really too important. Before buying the best to know more about some of the information about the air compressor.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting idea. I wonder just where, though.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
That DLT compressor is huge for an RV application.

You should use your compressor and just put an air tank on your chassis, Gonzo.

Jose

JustinJohnson
Explorer
Explorer
AT-250DLT DLT is an influential 2.0 HP direct drive electric air compressor. This is an Oil Lubricated Air Compressor which has high performance and durability.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I've got one of those Craftsman compressors inherited from my Dad. Old but still works.

I also have a couple of 12V High Pressure units (120 PSI) made for motorcycles that work very well. The drawback is that the flow rate is necessarily quite low. This means it takes a fairly long time to completely fill a big tire, although it does nicely on my motorcycle, especially on the road.

Also they don't take up much room in my pannier. Brand name is Slime.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
I think I might go this route.

Compressor

ViAir 88P compressor

If you look at the specs. listed at the link above, you will see that the 88P compressor puts out 1.98 CFM with a 45% duty cycle. That's not bad at all.

Tank
5 gal. air tank

With the output of the pump, a 5 gal. tank should be fine.

My plan is to strap the tank to the chassis, then add a remote drain and connection port. I also want access to the compressor in case I need to use it for an emergency or pull it for service. I think a good option is to put the drain and connection port on the rear bumper and put the compressor inside the rear storage compartment. That puts it right next to the genny, with a great 12V feed and there would be room for the hoses and fittings too.

Jose

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
This is the one I bought at orielly's

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/QIN0/MV50/N0184.oap?ck=Search_tire+pump_N0184_-1_2656&keyword=tire+pump&pt=N0184&ppt=C0337

kendall69
Explorer
Explorer
Compressor
Owned (1) Class A (2) class C (1) truck camper looking at a Class (B)
New proud Owner of a 2014 Phoenix Cruiser 2400

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hear good things about those Viair inflators. In contrast the "piston ring" that makes my HF pancake "oil-less" is a ring of FELT fabric. I'd want to know if HF's higher-line compressors have any more durable components.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
jjson775 wrote:
I need something really small that I can adapt to a dual foot chuck. Prefer no tank at all.

A Viair 300 small, compact comes in a bag and has enough punch to air up my RV tires and small enough to fit in my under compartment storage bay.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C