cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Tabs

kenrhilbert
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at AD regarding a product called AirTabs. Claims to improve handling and gas milage. Has anyone used this product and how did it live up to its hype. I have not seen any on RVs or tractor trailers during my travels.
27 REPLIES 27

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
MountainAir05 wrote:
Had them on Military aircraft that I worked on but can see how you are going to get that fast on a land Vehicle.

I don't know of too many vortec generators on any aircraft that are designed for high speed. Most are designed to improve the low speed performance, such as decreasing the stall speed, or improving the lift, by improving the air flow over the wings.

rgatijnet1 wrote:
MountainAir05 wrote:

FWiW although shaped differently there are vortice generators below the window of a B727, B737 to keep the boundary layer attached to lower the noise in the cockpit and other places to keep boundary layer attached at higher angle of attack.

I had an Aero Engineering friend who did development test in a wind tunnel for the fairrings on top of OTR trucks some 40 years ago now. They were able to quantify the savings by actual research with the loses for crosswinds and other factors.IIRC the average crosswind is about 6kts.

Which is what bothers me about Air Tabs. While NASA has explored the shape, I find no research done to quantify and confirm all the anecdotal evidence in use. A wind tunnel and scientific method is all that is required. If they do what they say you can be assured they would be on every commercial piece of equipment. 2-4% fuel savings is not chicken feed in that discussion.

IMHO
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The package of Air Tabs included enough tabs to install them on both sides of my coach, as well as across the roof. I did have to get on the roof to do this but it was easy enough to accomplish. I also had enough left over to install them in front of the wheel wells on the rear duals.
These were purchased to improve the handling, especially during windy conditions and from passing trucks. As an added feature, they keep the rear of the coach and my toad cleaner. I did not expect a return on my investment just like I did not expect to get my money back from Koni shocks or my Blue Ox steering stabilizer.
Money spent to make the coach more enjoyable to drive is an investment in my own comfort.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We see them occasionally on trucks in the north, but as we head south or into areas known to have wind, we see them a lot. Never thought about having them on our motorhome. May be a great idea. I know when the trucks pass that have them on there is no "push" from them.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
How about some facts and actual experience...

- They will not result in MPG savings for non-commercial applications. At 2% claimed by Airtab, private drivers will never pay for the tabs in savings.

- To see the full 2%, you have to install on both sides top to bottom AND the roof which is not often possible.

- They do keep the rear of the trailer cleaner

- I placed them on the rear deck lip of my SUV, and same result, the rear window remains cleaner...longer.

- With the air tabs on the rear desk lid spoiler, the front of the trailer NEVER...and I mean NEVER had a bug stuck to it. Well, at least the width of the SUV, while 6" on either side would get pelted as the whole front would without the tabs.

- There is no doubt the clean up turbulaent ait leaving you trailer and vehicle, but they do not result in any dolllar savings for RV'ers.

- I would absolutely consider another purchase even if I dont see a 100% ROA.

- THEY DO NOT USE FOAM TAPE
- THEY ARE VERY DIFFICULT TO REMOVE!

MadsenRV
Explorer
Explorer
Hudsoner wrote:
MadsenRV wrote:
Hudsoner wrote:
MadsenRV wrote:

I would recommend the versions in panels/ Strips instead (v-spoilers.com). The Airtabs look silly and impossible to remove without spending countless hours and ending up with bad marks on your RV... Whereas the V-Spoilers do the job, looks integrated, and removable. (and I guess cheaper)

Why would you say that these are easier to remove. Both are attached with 3M VHB tape (the actual version might be different, but removal should be similar)

The Airtabs I know is not with 3M VHB but another type (foam tape) that left foam tape pieces on the vehicle, almost impossible to remove. Maybe there are other versions of the Airtabs with different types of adhesive?

All 3M exterior double sided tapes are based of a foam like substrate. The difference is the density and thickness of the foam. The typical automotive trim adhesive tape uses a very high density, gryisch looking foam as base substrate, other 3M adhesives use more yellowish, lower density foams.
The lower density foams can be initially cut with a thin fishing line or a thin wire, and the residue can be removed with widly available adhesive removers. The gray tape is actually harder to remove, because one cannot cut it that easy.

Actually the gray 3M VHB is much easier as you can peel it off in string (if you get it from the right angle).
Anyhow, Airtabs for sure not using 3M but something that is terrible to remove (my friend had his paint destroyed on the RV)

MadsenRV
Explorer
Explorer
two-niner wrote:
I looked them up but only saw wind deflectors for pickup trucks (panels)??

Here is a link for the panels for trucks and RV's

http://www.v-spoilers.com/videos-galleries

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
MadsenRV wrote:
Hudsoner wrote:
MadsenRV wrote:

I would recommend the versions in panels/ Strips instead (v-spoilers.com). The Airtabs look silly and impossible to remove without spending countless hours and ending up with bad marks on your RV... Whereas the V-Spoilers do the job, looks integrated, and removable. (and I guess cheaper)

Why would you say that these are easier to remove. Both are attached with 3M VHB tape (the actual version might be different, but removal should be similar)

The Airtabs I know is not with 3M VHB but another type (foam tape) that left foam tape pieces on the vehicle, almost impossible to remove. Maybe there are other versions of the Airtabs with different types of adhesive?

All 3M exterior double sided tapes are based of a foam like substrate. The difference is the density and thickness of the foam. The typical automotive trim adhesive tape uses a very high density, gryisch looking foam as base substrate, other 3M adhesives use more yellowish, lower density foams.
The lower density foams can be initially cut with a thin fishing line or a thin wire, and the residue can be removed with widly available adhesive removers. The gray tape is actually harder to remove, because one cannot cut it that easy.

two-niner
Explorer
Explorer
I looked them up but only saw wind deflectors for pickup trucks (panels)??

MadsenRV
Explorer
Explorer
Hudsoner wrote:
MadsenRV wrote:

Hudsoner
Explorer
Explorer
MadsenRV wrote:

MadsenRV
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
bluwtr49 wrote:
I hadn't thought about trying to paint them myself. Either white or black would stick out like a sore thumb but a spray paint might do it if I could get a color match. Something to look into.

Are the tab easily removable???

Mine have been on for several years and I don't think they are easily removable. The 3M double sided tape is very good at bonding the AirTabs to a clean surface.
Not sure why you would want to remove them other than to move them to another vehicle. In that case, I think it would be easier to just shell out the $200 for a new set.

More fleets are fitting them to their trucks and trailers now, and for the aesthetics it makes a world difference with a panel instead.

MadsenRV
Explorer
Explorer
They are into panels now (branded as "V-Spoilers").
See www.v-spoilers.com
That means they look better (whether color matched or not), and not like 50 small random pieces.. Not to mention much faster and easier to install correctly.
The old AIrtab single pieces is also terrible to remove (leaves bad foam tape marks and destroy the RV's finish). The V-Spoiler panels are stronger in adhesive but easier to remove with zero left overs... Just saying..

hussbuss
Explorer
Explorer
I have them on my 37 foot triple slide TT and my brother has them on his 36 foot DP. Not a lot of mileage improvement but the difference in handling is like night and day. The air tabs break up the bow wave from passing semis before it can move the trailer around. My brother carries a scooter on the back of the DP and can run all day in the rain. The scooter is as clean as when he starts out. Back of my TT stays clean. I also installed 6 Air Tabs on the sides of the TT midway to help counteract the side winds. 35/40 mph plus side winds have no affect on the TT. 60foot rig. Best $220.00 we both spent. Highly recommend this product. Good company to deal with.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
wolfe10 wrote:
They stick to the coach with double sided tape. They will come off as would any double sided tape.

Not really,this stuff is really strong.Experimented with one and could not get it off with a putty knife and bent a corner,then a heat gun and putty knife and after almost melting the tab It moved a little but did not budge. Then the old fishing line and saw method,I gave up after 30 minutes with it about 1 inch in.

These things are here to stay when put on properly.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C