cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AIRBAG LIFE

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
My MH was built in 2001 so that puts my airbags at 22 years old. I have air leaking somewhere, so should I have the airbags replaced first and see if that is the problem or pay the shop to search for the air leak and pay for their time?

What is the life of Airbags on a class A MH?
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am
13 REPLIES 13

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:
wolfe10 wrote:
Reality is if you are going to keep the coach, probably a good idea to replace them.

Going to sell in the next year or so-- no.

A third option is to carry a spare front and rear and wait for a failure (probably on the side of the road).

I have had bags last over 10 years on dump trucks, and end-dumps. Much more severe duty than MH likely to get. When the guy that bought my '95 Pete dismantled it to build the Western Star kit he replaced the bags. 2 out of 4 where original. Over 3 million miles, and a lot of them running 95 PSI to carry the load.

IMHO it's kinda amazing they last as long as they do
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
SGTJOE wrote:
Any thoughts on cost to replace the airbags?

Since you have an AIR SUSPENSION on our DP, you need to look at replacements with the same/another replacement of equal quality air bag.

Are you seeking a parts only cost?

If parts and labor, your location will likely have a big impact on $$.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a rear air bag replaced on the Allegro about 3 years ago at a Cummins facility. It was about $300 installed. I asked about having the other rear one replaced and they said that they only replace them if they are leaking.
Three years later and the other one is still not leaking. Who knows why one leaked but not the other.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
SGTJOE wrote:

You might look at something like timbrens or sumo springs if they have an applicable model. This eliminates all the issues with hoses and leaks.

With a pickup, you go from empty running around town to running heavy when the pickup camper or 5er is attached. Having the ability to adjust the capacity of the bags to the load is handy.

With a motorhome, you will always run loaded, so the ability to adjust the airbag pressure really doesn't provide a benefit.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
wolfe10 wrote:
Reality is if you are going to keep the coach, probably a good idea to replace them.

A third option is to carry a spare front and rear and wait for a failure (probably on the side of the road).

I have had bags last over 10 years on dump trucks, and end-dumps. Much more severe duty than MH likely to get. When the guy that bought my '95 Pete dismantled it to build the Western Star kit he replaced the bags. 2 out of 4 where original. Over 3 million miles, and a lot of them running 95 PSI to carry the load.

Rubber ages by both use and TIME. 22+ year old rubber has suffered more degradation than would occur in just 10 years.

Remember to add to coach model year for component age-- manufacturing process of bags, storage at manufacturing facility before shipping, storage at chassis maker, age on chassis before shipped to coach builder............

Another issue that each owner needs to weigh is breakdown on the road VS preventive maintenance. No one answer fits all. Budget, how long coach will be kept, tightness of schedule, etc are all factors.
Brett Wolfe

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
If it's just your gauges going down it's probably not an airbag.

Does the coach go down? If it does, does it tilt when it leaks down?

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Well, you gotta find the leak so just replacing bags without diagnosing the leak seems silly.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
wolfe10 wrote:

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer

Brett Wolfe

My 1998 Monaco has original air bags. Had a leak once that turned out to be the connection to hook up an air hose to air up tires etc. I have one of those in the front and in the back. Held pressure ever since.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why pay a shop to hunt for leaks? No need to be in a hurry, just spray soapy water on all lines and such. If you suspect bags, start there.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What chassis is your MH on?
Air bags didn't last long for me. If in coils springs rocks getin an puncture holes.
On my P30 I replaced front springs and air bags with variable raye springs.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker