cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American car dolly?

mattdenryter
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to purchase a car dolly. Been doing a lot of research and I’m leaning towards an American car dolly. They are based out of Colorado, will deliver and show how to use it for free. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this dolly, good or bad. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Matt
13 REPLIES 13

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
mattdenryter wrote:
I just realized that the vehicle I will be towing does not have a locking steering column. So now it appears the American dolly won’t suit my needs.

almost all the tow dollies work the same in that respect. You can run the seat belt through the steering wheel to solve that but I’m still not a fan of this one. I did see a video of one that didn’t have the pivoting deck and relied on the front wheels turning but it also had the removable ramps which I don’t think is a help.

mattdenryter
Explorer
Explorer
I just realized that the vehicle I will be towing does not have a locking steering column. So now it appears the American dolly won’t suit my needs.

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
I looked very carefully at the tow dolly's this last summer. I talked for some time to the owner of American Tow dolly. He seemed to be a nice guy but in the end he could not keep from trashing everyone elses product intead of selling his own for the merits. I chose a different product because of that attitude. He was willing to deliver it to my Michigan home.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
I own a dolly and considering the american has removable ramps is just one more thing to take care of. Website makes it sound like an advantage but I don't think it is. They state it won't hurt your rocker panels, brake lines etc. Brake lines and everything else are tucked up under the car to keep them from damage. When was the last time you heard of somebodies brake line getting torn out. I'm not saying they are not well made but knowing what I know the less things you have to attach, strap, tighten the better.

mattdenryter
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the website..

http://www.americancardolly.com

mattdenryter
Explorer
Explorer
No the owner Gary, delivers to each customer. He does wait to have a few ordered from the area so he isn’t making a trip for one dolly. I don’t need it til May, so there is plenty of time to get it. He said he gets very busy in the spring so order early to assure he can fit you on the delivery schedule.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I think he probably would "ship" one to MI rather than "DELIVER" it.
bumpy

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
JaxDad wrote:

As for delivery cost, how exactly do you think a ‘local’ dealer gets product delivered to them for free?

It doesn’t matter who you buy from, unless it’s made pretty close to your house, you’re paying for delivery one way or another.

well the last time I checked my map it appeared to a load of 5 units to Texas was more practical than one unit to Michigan.
bumpy

What makes you think he only has one to deliver to Michigan?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:

As for delivery cost, how exactly do you think a ‘local’ dealer gets product delivered to them for free?

It doesn’t matter who you buy from, unless it’s made pretty close to your house, you’re paying for delivery one way or another.

well the last time I checked my map it appeared to a load of 5 units to Texas was more practical than one unit to Michigan.
bumpy

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bumpyroad wrote:
how desperate are they for a sale to deliver it that distance?
bumpy

If they sell factory-direct the savings of a dealers mark-up would likely make for a nice price discount.

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
I recently rented a U-Haul Dolly to bring home a new/used car that I purchased.
I had to tow the Kia Sportage over 100 miles home with my Pick Up.
I drove semi's (all varieties) for over 30 years but never had used a tow dolly!
With my new experience I would recommend making up a check list so you don't forget any of the steps to hook up.
I am pretty through but I can see how easy it could be to forget a step when hitting the road and it could be costly!
My biggest problem? WHY WAS THAT GUY FOLLOWING ME SO CLOSELY when I would glance in the mirror! 🙂

cudntherd
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a dolly from American about 5 years ago. It was quality built dolly. The owner of the company delivered to Fort Worth, Tx. He had 4 more to deliver to South Texas. I used the dolly for two years and decided to tow 4 down.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like a long trip for service when/if something goes wrong. I'd buy locally myself. how desperate are they for a sale to deliver it that distance? does this one have something going that local ones dont have? the cost of fuel to deliver will be included in their price.
bumpy