cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anti rodent asian beetle treatment

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I may have just wasted a few bucks on a scam. While getting some maintenance done on my motorhome at CW they offered an underbody treatment to prevent rodents and asian beetless and some spiders out of the coach. I thought it was worth a try as I park in areas where this could be a good idea. I have not had a problem and do keep the coach pretty well sealed. So am wondering if anyone has had experience with the treatment.
16 REPLIES 16

grumpy3b
Explorer
Explorer
I'll second Happy-2 suggestions. Moth balls keep our outside storage shed totally bug & rodent free for the past 40yrs. Mind that u only need one or two here and there not a whole box as they outgas naphthalene which is an allergen for many people and downright toxic if you use too many and are exposed to the gases for long periods of time.

Dryer sheets also work were mothballs aren't practical...also a simple use of table salt wards off many crawling critters.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I have not had a problem up to this point but when checking in for some other work he mentioned it to me I thought it could be a problem so it is worth a try. I will let you know what I think but I do not have a baseline so it will just be my impression.

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing will stop Asian Beatles otherwise known as Stink Bugs. When we visit family in VA i the Blue Ridge area we pick up a load of them that we finally lose in the desert.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
happy-2 wrote:
Dryer sheets,or CabFresh,MOOTH Balls,Are all VERY cheep and has worked for me for about 11 years.I don't trust what i can't see because you can't see if it works.By using what smells you can replace when the smell is gone.
Well the mice seem to like to use the Dryer Sheets for nesting, the mothballs do work, but I removed them 5 years ago and some of the drawers in the MH still smell (stink) like mothballs, so not really good for DW and DH relationship. fresh Cab seems to work, but we have learned to avoid areas of mouse infestations, over the years. We do a lot of boon docking and this is where we seem to pick them up. We have never had a problem with mice at commercial parks.
Wildmanbaker

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
What I use.

I spray my undercarriage and furnace/refrigerator area about three times a year with this stuff.

Also my sticks and bricks.

Buy mine at Lowes and Home Depot.

I suspect it's cheaper than what you are looking at.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had co-hosts that had their transmission wires chewed by rodents. After the repair, the mechanic sprayed something like that all over the bottom of their vehicle and re-does it once a year. They have not had any further problem.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
If it's a sealing foam with a built in bug repellant, it may be a good deal. If it's just a bug repellant I would pass.

On a side note.....The Asian beetles come in through the slide seals, so you wont prevent them from entering. About the only thing you'll stop on the under side, is rodents. So if it isn't a foam sealer, it's useless.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
Dryer sheets,or CabFresh,MOOTH Balls,Are all VERY cheep and has worked for me for about 11 years.I don't trust what i can't see because you can't see if it works.By using what smells you can replace when the smell is gone.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Jim, I bought the RV there and had some issues but I know them well and they know me. Things have gotten better and I hope some of it because of me. I have invested so much in improving this place I want to enjoy the fruits of my efforts.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I should also say I agree with J-Rooster that it couldn't hurt. I also agree with Tom that I generally decline all the sealants and scotchguard etc as being waste of money. So I will see how this works and let you all know.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
You might check RVServiceReviews.com for reviews of that CW. Most of us would say don't have anything done there. Certainly not anything that requires training or expertise.

Maybe hold off on the anti-pest spray until you gather more users reviews.

Good luck, and you should check on your RV repeatedly and forcefully if you want them to actually get to it within your time schedule.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
The treatment is not done. I agreed to have it sprayed and I believe it is a foam on the undercarriage and good for two years. The coach is still there as other work is being done and it will sit for two months before we head south so fumes if any should be gone.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
What exactly did they do when they applied the treatment?

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
Is this treatment "one way"?? If not it will also keep the rodents, Asian beetles and some spiders IN.

But, I place these seller addons in the same category as paint sealants, upholstery stain prevents and glass protectors. Total useless, except to increase profit for the seller.

P T Barnum
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L