cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone make a mistake buying first MH ?

Dollar98
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious.. No matter how much research you do , it seems there is no substitute for owning and using a MH.. Anyone buy one and then realize you made a mistake on the first one.. If so, how did you rectify it. I haven't felt this way yet and hope I don't.. With all that is involved, I could see it happening.. I believe the best advice I got was to buy an older one and then see what you really want by trial and error..
507 REPLIES 507

deuceandddoll
Explorer
Explorer
Over 5 years ago we bought a "mechanics special" at an RV center in Texas. It was a Fleetwood Storm, 1994 on a P30 chassis, with a 454 and no slides. 30' long and it needed some TLC and a new set of tires, it was still running the original Michelins. It had 40,000 miles on it then and now has 80,000 miles.

During the past 5 years and 40,000 miles we have replaced tires, brakes, batteries, and the Onan 4K generator. I could have saved the original Onan as all that went bad was the rotor, the problem was that Onan no longer made that part and it was going to cost half the price of a new one to buy the parts necessary to upgrade and repair the old one.

I have a friend that bought a brand new $150,000 Winnebago 34' diesel pusher with two slides and he has spent more money than me and had way more problems with his new coach over the past 5 years compared to my old beater.

So what is the lesson? It is a gamble no matter what you buy, and you can count on having some maintenance issues used or new. If you are a DIY type of person you can save money and have some extra pride in your coach by doing much of the maintenance yourself.

We love our coach and will drive it till she drops, and then buy another one. Get out of the house and hit the road!

slemnah
Explorer
Explorer
No matter how much you research, there is always something you missed. We purchased our first RV, a 1997 Imperial, and have had it for 1 1/2 years and if I had to do it again I would have purchased a Navigator with an M11 engine and I would also have some type of hydronic heating system. One day when I replace my MH I will have both of those.

DanTheRVMan
Explorer
Explorer
Waited to long to buy the 1st MH

Made mistakes

The 2nd will be better and the third will be better still.

Do NOT worry about mistakes. Do the best you can and move forward.
Dan
Tiffin Phaeton
Allegro Red 36ft Sold

jamstoyz
Explorer
Explorer
We owned 2 tt's in the past and just bought our 1st mh for a great price. Low and behold when we got it home I noticed I missed 1 thing, water damage on the cab over. Really bad one too. Cant believe I missed that. I checked the roof before I bought it but didnt think about seam leaks. Oh well, you live and learn. Plus it gives me a new project to tackle.
2001 Gulfstream Yellowstone 29'
1999 Fleetwood Prowler TT 24' (sold)
2004 Fleetwood Gearbox Toyhauler 28' (sold)

offthewall
Explorer
Explorer
We are on our 5th RV after several tents. Three travel trailers, a Class C and now a 34' DP. All were right at the time. I also RV'd with my family as a child (tent, popup, TT). Get out there with something, if it's not right, sell it and get something else.
2010 Itasca Meridian V Class 34Y
NJ tag: "THE RV"

2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited Toad
NJ tag: "BLKJEEP"

Suescasa_Mycasa
Explorer
Explorer
Yes got my first one from a dealer
It never should have been sold
Death trap on wheels
Very irresponsible of dealer to sell.................but I got it at a good price
No more dealers for me (this was almost 20 years ago)

Boy this is an old topic :Z
2003 Travel Supreme Select 45'
ISM 500 Oh Myyyyyyyyyy
2003 Yamaha V Star 1100
Joeylift motorcycle lift
rollin rollin rollin... keep those doggies rollin

Greyghost
Explorer
Explorer
The only mistake I made was that I waited too long to buy the first one.
Pat & Roger Fisher
2005 American Tradition 40W
2012 Honda CRV EX-L 2WD,
Jewel, Clifford and Thor - Bouvier Des Flandres

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I had small motorhomes as in Winn Lasharo and popups for many years. We almost bought a Roadtrek. That would have been a mistake. We bought a BT Cruiser instead and it was fun but I should have bought the 26 ft Winn Sightseer that was sitting next to it. Much more functional and same price. I had an aversion to the class A. That aversion was misplaced.

randco
Explorer
Explorer
In the mid 90's we bought a 33' Seabreeze. It had no slides but ws big enough for the wife and me and two fur-legged kids. We loved that little coach, but after about 2 years of weekend camping and taking a two week vacation once a year we got burnt out.

The mistake we made was that we put to much of a demand on ourselves to "use the investment". We sold the coach and didn't do any camping until January of 2011 when we purchased a 40' DP, and love it. Now that we are retired we can go when we want to go, and do.

jjammo
Explorer
Explorer
Our biggest mistake on our first one was not getting a slideout. It lasted less than a year. If you plan on spending much time in it, a slide is a must, even for just two people.
USAF Retired
1999 National Tropi-Cal 36'
03 Ford Ranger,4x4,auto w/Remco, air-lift susp.
Brake Buddy Classic
09 Polaris Ranger RZR 800

lajuene
Explorer
Explorer
My signature may still have my travel trailer on it, sold this summer. No mistake on that one except I bought it new and would do used if I did it again
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD, 350 Cummins ISC
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport 6 speed "Dozer" yellow
Going Full Time Spring 2012

lajuene
Explorer
Explorer
Not a mistake really but my selling dealer did no PDI even though he said he did. There were problems but I took care of most myself. The problem was we live in NY and the dealer is in Florida. We were looking for a specific model and so we had to settle with a long distance sale. Flew to dealer in Florida, No (or at least poor) PDI but what can we do? The rig was what we wanted, the price was good, It's a Camping World so there is a network of dealers for a little extra care as we travel (they treat RV's sold by CW a little better as far as moving you up in line when waiting for service etc.....in theory anyway).

It cost me a couple hundred dollars to do some repairs and a rented carpet cleaner and some elbow grease to clean it up and a bunch of phone calls to get some parts mailed to us at their expense. If we had been local I would have said "fix these things and call me when you're done" and I would have driven home and come back when it was ready.

If I was going to do it again I think I would still have done it the same but would have gotten more verbal assurances that there would be a REAL PDI done. Right coach at the right price is hard to beat even if it is from a sloppy dealer.
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD, 350 Cummins ISC
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport 6 speed "Dozer" yellow
Going Full Time Spring 2012

Ltcolk
Explorer
Explorer
All great info. Thanks!

I just bought our first one after thinking about it for 17 + years. Our four kids are all under 12 and the 28 footer we bought seems like a great balance between size and maneuverability.

EelKat
Explorer
Explorer
I've been worrying about this. I've yet to buy mine, but I've been looking at them for about a year now, and I can say that my ideas on which one to buy have changed a lot.

At first I was planning on a trailer did a lot of online study thought I found the perfect one, a 15' teardrop, but than after looking at them in person, I realized, a trailer, big, small, 5th wheel, or otherwise, just is not going to cut it for me, and I had to rethink my options.

Next I was looking at a motor home instead, but I started out looking at really big ones - 40'. Read up on them, books, websites, thought I knew what I wanted, finally thinking THIS is the right one, I headed out to a local dealer to see the real thing up close...uhm...yeah...40' and all that living space sounds great on paper, but seeing the real thing, I realized there is no way this is what I need, time to rethink things yet again.

I than realized, I had to change my way of researching, because I was going about this all wrong. I was looking at the RV from purely an outward appearance value. I didn't realize that's what I was doing, but as it turns out, that is what I was doing. I was looking at it going "Nice paint job" or "Nice shape".

So I made a list to answer a bunch of practical questions:

WHY am I getting a motorhome?

WHAT do I want it for?

HOW am I going to use it?

WHEN am I going to use it?

WHERE am I going to use it?

WHO will be using it with me?

etc.etc.etc.

Well, I'm not looking for a vacation rv, I'll be living in it full-time, and living in it full-time in an area that routinely gets -30F weather and 9foot blizzards, so that's a major thing to consider right off the bat.

Ny reason for getting a motorhome is simple, we lost our house to a flood 6 years ago. We lived in a tent for 3 years and have lived in a car ever since. I planned to get/build another house, however, this is not the first time I've lived on the road. I come from a family of Scottish Travelers and was born and raised on the road and was 9 years old before I lived in a house. While living in a house, we went off on long road trips every 2 or 3 months for the next 30 years. Being without a house these past 6 years made me realize I don't really like living in a house to begin with. I've lived in a car more than half my life and I kind of prefer it so why the heck am I trying to get back into a house when I don't want to be in a house to begin with?

The answer to that question was: I have cats and it's kind of hard to live in a car with cats. I can continue living in a car fine, I need a house for the cats. I have cats because my house had also served as an animal shelter and when the flood took out the house it took out the shelter too and these cats are the last remaining of the shelter animals, and due to their "special needs" they were never adopted out.

After answering the above questions and about 50 more, I realized what I needed was a bed, a kitchen, a workshop, and a place for the cats. And that's when it hit me: floorplan is the thing I need to focus on.

So I got brochures from all the motorhome companies and next thing I knew I was crossing out most of them because floorplans were unusable to me. It made my search so much easier because it narrowed down my options. And than it was off to see the real things all over again.

And than, ready to buy what I thought was the perfect motorhome, something else occurred to me: do I really want to pay $130k for a new motorhome? What if I don't like it? What if it's not what I need? What if....

So, now I am looking for a used motorhome and living in a resort area walking distance for over a dozen RV Parks, every body and their cousin has a used motorhome sitting in their yard so I can just walk up the street and talk to people about their motorhomes and now looking at all the motorhomes that are sitting around in people's yards I discovered one last thing, something I had never thought of before: I like motorhomes from the 1970s. I prefer motorhomes from the 1970s. I grew up around motorhomes in the 1970s. What a REALLY actually WANT is a 1970s Winnebago.

So, now I'm looking for a Winnebago from the 1970s to live in full-time.

Eventually I will get my first motorhome, and when I do I'm sure I'll come up with all sorts of mistakes I made in the choice, but at least I can say it'll be less mistakes than it would have been had I just run out and bought the first one I saw.

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
Before we bought I had read many rv sites and went to many shows. I talked to sales people and asked many questions. Two yeas ago we bought a 35 ft 2005 Georgie Boy Landau with 3 slides on a ford chassis. We had never camped and this was our first rv and we are very happy with it. It has more storage space than what we really need. It would make a great full time coach if we wanted to go full time. As many have said the only mistake was not doing it sooner. As it stands right now this will be our only coach. Thanks to this site and others I have read, helped us make the right choice the first time.