cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone make a mistake buying first MH ?

Dollar98
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious.. No matter how much research you do , it seems there is no substitute for owning and using a MH.. Anyone buy one and then realize you made a mistake on the first one.. If so, how did you rectify it. I haven't felt this way yet and hope I don't.. With all that is involved, I could see it happening.. I believe the best advice I got was to buy an older one and then see what you really want by trial and error..
507 REPLIES 507

FrontRangeRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Talk about digging up an OLD THREAD!
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
SOLD 2006 Winnebago Voyage 35A (was a GREAT unit)

robert_swartz
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning to buy a used MH to live in and retire. Our money is limited and in checking with some RV parks for monthly living we were told that they don't accept MH's that are over 10 years old. Are there sufficient parks that will accept us when or if our MH is 10 years old? Hope some one will help us.

cameoRE7
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a 1998 Fleetwood Discovery 3 years ago. After putting about $30,000 into it and knowing what I know now after 3 years experience, feel I could have done alot better and looking back would not have purchased it.

But having said that, I am happy living in it fulltime, hoping the major expenses are behind me and looking to keep it for long time into future.

HPH
Explorer
Explorer
We went cross country to get a "better" deal on our 1st new coach. With all the bugs to be worked out I would buy locally next time just to have a closer ally in the dealer to help get the coach in and out of service more quickly. True you can go to the factory for service but it's nice to come back from a trip and be able to get it right into the dealer to get some items fixed by the time your ready to hit the road again. Some dealers only service what they sell. Others have 2-6 wk waiting lists if you didn't buy there. In the end we saved 10 grand or so but I won't do it next time. JMHO
HPH

fourfurz
Explorer
Explorer
We had a great education from this forum and bought our last coach first!

Then again, I may want to sell this one in three years and have a custom bus conversion done just exactly the way I want it. Lots of bucks there. Best way to go if we're going to keep one for a decade though.
2007 Mountain Aire 4528
2006 CRV SE
Based in Memphis area

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
This thread has been going on for a long time. And Yes I made the mistake of trading my first coach within six months and lost lots of money by doing that. But I am real happy with the second coach, so I guess it was worth it.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

jackbuck
Explorer
Explorer
98% buy a second unit within 2 years,its a fact
jackbuck ,2016 Arctic Fox 29-5-k ,2004 chev 3500 crew with 8100gas,Virginia.One great wife two trailor dogs,9 boys and 2 of the other kind.,all on their own, empty nest. its hard to see the picture when you are inside the frame.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Dont get me wrong, we love our HR and got an awesome deal on it...but. If we had it to do all over we would have gone for a used high-end DP instead. We are not retired yet so its not that big of deal. When we retire we will probably get a DP.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Final_TA
Explorer
Explorer
YES! Thankfully we'll NEVER make that MISTAKE again!

BTW, a word to the wise, be very careful posting your thoughts, there are manufacturer trolls out there just waiting to tattle on you... eh, what can I say, they get off on doing it.

MHGinTN
Explorer
Explorer
All great questions, BobW! I'll be trying to follow what may get posted in reply.

BTW, have you looked at the 28 foot Lexington or Winnebagos ... except for having to empty tanks and do laundry, they are quite nice and with the Ford v-10 engine have the right power to weight ratios.
MHGinTN

bobw14612
Explorer
Explorer
First, I'm not too good at this so bear with me on this posting for
info or advice. I have visited many web forums and prefer this one.
I am not new to camping. When younger the summer months was most enjoyed and camping at the lake was the highlight. My parents had a
stationary trailer/camper that was on a campground.

I am at the ripe age of 50 and preplanning retirement. I am an OTR
truck driver so therefore I do not have a residence. The motor home
will be my primary/sole residence. When retired I will be in my home
town area (Upstate New York) during the spring thru fall season. In
the winter will be down south (Louisiana, Florida or Texas). I will
not be racking up high miles for all practical purposes. It is my
intention to purchase and have payed for prior to age 62. I will be
working fulltime up to age 55. From this point I will only work part
of the year/seasonal up to age 59 1/2. From this point I will start
drawing on the retirement accounts.

I will be getting a used motor home, however, not sure or can't get sufficient advice on whether to get a Class A or C. Which ever class
I get will most likely be gas powered. I have many questions that
no one seems to want to answer or not sure:
1) What are the maintenence intervals; wheel bearings, AC flush, etc.
2) Owners on a fixed income - which Class is most affordable?
3) What are the rates for maintenence and repairs typical costs for both classes? What are the maintenence intervals on; furnaces, water
heaters, etc,?
4) As a first time buyer - is there a guide or checklist available for the potential buyer of tell-tale signs of abuse or neglect? What
areas on the motor homes are most likely neglected or face wear and
tear due to weather?
5) What is the difference between the Class C that is over 30ft and
a Class A in reference to:
a) living space
b) costs - maintenence, fuel consumption, etc.
c) storage space
d) vehicle towing

Up_N_Flames
Explorer
Explorer
My first RV was a 98 Dolphin Class A. My mistake was buying an RV without slides. The slides make the RV so much nicer inside due to the extra space you get. Our new RV has slides and we love it. Now we can have a few friends in the RV and not feel cramped.

Also the Dolphin had the water pump under the bed. Bad place because when we got up in the middle of the night to use the restroom the water pump would wake us up. I also like the Generator up front so it's not loud in the back if we're watching TV in bed or taking a nap.
08 Cayman XL 38 PBD.

Rocket_Heart1
Explorer
Explorer
Simply put - YES ! To anxious and not wise. Buyer beware. After 3 years, and a lot of repairs, it finally is the coach I thought it was.
Thomas "Rocket Heart" Emahiser
Anna,DW
Matthew
Alaina

2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
8.1 Vortec - 6 speed Allison Trans.
Workhorse W22 Chassis
2009 Versa(Toad)

Waterville, Ohio

"Go Bucks"

RayMag
Explorer
Explorer
My first RV was a 19" Roadtrek. After a few years we found out that it was a little too small for our type of camping.
So we went looking for a Class A motorhome. Our requirements were dimensions around 30-34 ft, diesel, used, and in very good shape.

We eventually found our diesel, 30 ft long, aluminium skin, air ride, ceramic floor, excellent Barth motorhome.

The difference between the two is night and day, and we couldn't be happier about the switch.
2001 HR Scepter

StanleyandIris
Explorer
Explorer
As for the TT versus the MH. I vote for MH and a little Toad.

Set up is 5 minutes and all automatic as opposed to what looks like hours of pushing, pulling, bending and stooping when I watch TT's set up in a camp ground. I think you will tire of this quickly.

Not to mention the generator for those times when you are in the middle of nowhere and want to eat or sleep.