cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Average fuel mileage on a 35' with the V10??

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
We have been looking around for a slightly used Class A with the V10. I have narrowed it down between the Tiffin Allegro 35QBA and the Georgetown 351DS. We also plan on towing a Jeep Wrangler behind it. Just wondering what kind of fuel mileage I can expect with this motor?? Any feedback will be very much appreciated!

Kevin
KEVIN :C
DW-Debbie :R
DS-Tyler 11yrs old:D
DD-Makayla 8yrs old:p
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH-OLD
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW
30 REPLIES 30

cjoseph
Explorer
Explorer
I get between 6 and 7 going 60-65 MPH. However, I run the generator quite often. We usually travel in the summer, so there you go.

When not running the generator, I get between 7 and 8 MPH. Woo who! That's why I don't skimp on comfort and run the gennie.
Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA

Fiesta
Explorer
Explorer
My sold '11 Bounder 36', avg'ed 7.9 over 12k miles but it was a struggle to get that. Pulling a small trailer and 800 Lbs motorcycle. Knew it would get worse pulling a car. It had to downshift every hill.
Bought a DP, 11k lbs heavier and pull a car, now get 9. And I travel faster, and hills? no problem.

dbates
Explorer
Explorer
You don't say what year you're thinking about but here is what mine has averaged. It's a 30" 1998 Itasca over a 1999 V10. I pull a Vibe on a Demco KarKaddy dolly all of the time and generally run 62 MPH on interstates and 56 MPH on other roads. As you can see by the map below we've travel in all types of terrains.

In the 10 years and 54,000 miles that I've had it the average mileage has been 8.14 MPG with a three tank average between 7 to 9 MPG. These include limited generator use.

Dave
Plus New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia

mustang652
Explorer
Explorer
Last trip towing a twin axle trailer with the Mustang on it with our 2014 Itasca 35F we got around 7 mpg. We do get a little better when towing the Focus, but after the first two tanks, I quit checking as I bought it for recreation, not economy.
Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF Retired, Life Member: VSPA, VVA, DVA,VFW

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
6.5 to 7 towing Grand Cherokee.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends where you travel. In the mountains, towing your Jeep, you will be closer to 5-6 MPG.

NAUTIQUE
Explorer
Explorer
About 8-9 with my 30'.
Love the V-10!
Winds definitely seem to make a big difference.
I have a ScanGauge on the dash, so that gives me a good pic of whats going on.
I like to use the power/coast method whether driving my MH, Jeep or Pick-up.
Steady power to get up to speed quickly & then coast as much as possible. Anticipate stops and start coasting asap, trying to never use brakes.
Seems to work pretty good for me.
Our Portable Summer Cottage II : 2000 GBM LANDAU - 99 F53 chassis
Tweaked w/: Allure floor, Sumitomo ST718's, Bilstein's, Steer-Safe, UltraTrac rear trac bar, CHF & Poly Bushings. Pulling a 97 Jeep TJ- Pics & Mods * GBM Thread * F53 Thread
LIFE IS GOOD! :C

NAUTIQUE
Explorer
Explorer
About 8-9 with my 30'.
Love the V-10!
Winds definitely seem to make a big difference.
I have a ScanGauge on the dash, so that gives me a good pic of whats going on.
I like to use the power/coast method whether driving my MH, Jeep or Pick-up.
Steady power to get up to speed quickly & then coast as much as possible. Anticipate stops and start coasting asap, trying to never use brakes.
Seems to work pretty good for me.
Our Portable Summer Cottage II : 2000 GBM LANDAU - 99 F53 chassis
Tweaked w/: Allure floor, Sumitomo ST718's, Bilstein's, Steer-Safe, UltraTrac rear trac bar, CHF & Poly Bushings. Pulling a 97 Jeep TJ- Pics & Mods * GBM Thread * F53 Thread
LIFE IS GOOD! :C

consumeratlarge
Explorer
Explorer
About 7 for us, but we go around 72mph on the highways which is about the average speed of the rightmost lane. Seems to make a huge difference which way the wind is blowing. Air drag is the biggest killer of MPG on these motorhomes, and increases exponentially with speed. I've never been able to go 55mph on a long trip to check out how good it could have been.

I disagree that the V10 is thirsty, seems that I have enough HP to climb hills as fast or faster than many diesel models, and it puts out as much hp, albeit at higher revs. So it's several MPG less than the smaller diesels, but the pump price and ease of keeping make that an even wash. So, dollar wise, it seems no more thirsty than the comparable diesels.

Anybody got spec's on the specific fuel consumption of the V10 per hp vs any others? (at 2,000 rpm's, for instance) I'm thinking it's pretty similar, and about the usual 30% less efficient than diesels.
Coachmen Pursuit 31BDP 2013, 300w solar, 1200w sine inverter, In-motion Winegard Dome sat. ant., L.E.D. lights, P2 brake controller, Yamaha 250 on back carrier, or pulling Stehl dolly with Hyundai Santa Fe

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
probably between 7 and 10.
the V10 is a great engine, except for fuel economy

much closer to 7
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

summerhouse
Explorer
Explorer
We average 7-8 mpg towing our Jeep. We drive 65 on highway. V10 is a great engine, but she's thirsty.
“Light hearted I take to the open road… Healthy, free, the world before me… The long brown path before me leading me wherever I choose.” - Walt Whitman

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
34' V10 towing Jeep. I get that 10 mpg towing down hill with a tail wind. My honest average has been 6.9 mpg. I just fill up the tank and having fun until the money runs out.:B

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
6 to7.5
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
About 8.5 with the RV in my sig. Driving 55 to 60. No toad. Very happy with the mileage i'm getting.
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat

Y-Guy
If you own a Wrangler you already understand poor MPG and bad aerodynamics like I do. 🙂

We've had our 2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J since 2007, I love it. My MPG can really vary since I live in an area with high winds. My low MPG towing our 4 ATVs and trailer would run about 6, highs were 10 if I had tail winds. Over the years my average towing/not towing, mountains/flat lands all combined is 7.9. Most of that was towing in the mountains. Now that the ATVs are gone and I don't tow with a full tank of water and an extra 40 gallons of fuel we're seeing average of 8.7 but I have yet to setup the Wrangler as a toad.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon