cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Baffled by roof leak!

Wijames
Explorer
Explorer
On my 1993 Chateau I have a roof leak that I just cant find. Myself and a friend got down on our hands and knees and searched every inch of the roof and cant find the leak. I checked all of the regular places like the seams and edges and all of the areas around the vents in the area. Yesterday I gave in and put a new coat of roof sealer on the entire top and went back this morning and applied a second coat. I'm hoping it's fixed but I sure would like to know where the leak is is coming from. Any ideas of where else I might have overlooked?
14 REPLIES 14

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
If an awning was removed, make sure the holes were properly filled. Ours leaked through one of these and I thought the roof was leaking.
Brian

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a Fantastic Fan with hinged clear plastic vent cover?

Ours had an invisible-to-the-eye crack in the plastic. Drove us crazy for a couple of years until we replaced the cover. Problem solved.

DaCrema
Explorer
Explorer
I had a leak that I thought was the roof and it turned out to be the window. I needed to have the window removed caulked and put back in. Solved the leak.

Hemi_RT
Explorer
Explorer
Had a customer bring a 'C' class in with a water leak, resealed the roof as it was bad, repaired the damage from the leak and it looked like we solved it. customer came back with what looked like it was still leaking in the same spot so we checked every thing again, no lights or windows or vents, etc any where the leak was. Couldn't figure it out so we thought it might be from water pouring off the roof of his garage ( flooding the RV roof ) as he parked right beside the garage and under the over hang. He took the motor home home and parked it where he usually does; we went to his home the next day to see, we were inside the RV when we heard a very strange noise from the side of the RV, went outside to see the neighbors sprinkler spray very hard against the side of the RV; the water was going up and being forced into the joints in the metal skin causing the leak. We would have never guessed this would happen unless we had seen it ourselves; so some leaks may be caused by some external from the RV itself.

jungshin
Explorer
Explorer
Awning attachment points. I bought my rig used looking to add sweat equity and make it my own. Had a wallpaper peel in the bathroom near the ceiling so when I got it home I caulked roofline and normal entry points. Next rainy time I checked the wall and leak still there. Started sleuthing around and finally figured out my rear awning bottom bracket was allowing water infiltration that was wicking UP from the bottom. Sealed it and caulked the heck out of it. ANY break in the skin or seam can allow water in and water does some wierd stuff, and goes where it wants.

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
Suspect areas:
Top lights, any molding strips on the front edge, along the gutter edge, window
gaskets and everything you gave already said.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got a skylight?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Check the rubber boot on the antenna cable and seal it up.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
It cost about $100 to have your rig pressure tested which should locate all potential sources of leaks ..... suggest you make a few calls to your local RV outfits to determine what's available in your area.
Kevin

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I have actually seen water run underneath the roof coating product and exit in odd places. I never use the stuff for this reason. Check clearance lights
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
The apply a positive pressure has merit with one addition soapy water, bubbles are easy to find!

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Wijames wrote:
On my 1993 Chateau I have a roof leak that I just cant find. Myself and a friend got down on our hands and knees and searched every inch of the roof and cant find the leak. I checked all of the regular places like the seams and edges and all of the areas around the vents in the area. Yesterday I gave in and put a new coat of roof sealer on the entire top and went back this morning and applied a second coat. I'm hoping it's fixed but I sure would like to know where the leak is is coming from. Any ideas of where else I might have overlooked?

Did you remove A/C and do under it also?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe not the roof at all...check the high up amber clearance lights..

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

johnnyrv
Explorer
Explorer
i have heard of people pressurizing the interior with a big fan then spraying soapy water around points of entry.