cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bath and a half dump station?

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
I had plans for my first day of motorhome shopping yesterday and wasn't able to go so next Saturday will be the time. The question below is one of the questions I was going to ask at the dealership.

I was watching a walk around video the other day and saw something that surprised me, if I saw it right? If you have a bath and a half do you have two dump stations outside the coach? I just thought it would all go into one place.

When you're hooking up and flushing the black tank is it clean and orderly if done correctly or is it a dirty job under the best of circumstances? I've read that this is the worst part of camping!

Thanks guys
39 REPLIES 39

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Lantly, I've not heard anything like that before. And no one has acted as though dumping is that big of a deal. Is this something maybe specific to your coach? Is the dump area hard to get too?

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Mondooker wrote:
I contacted Thor and this was the response

"yes, On that particular coach it was not possible to route the two tanks into one dump station. We try to make it one whenever possible."

So there we have it. How big of a deal is it and are there any pluses to it?

If you really need to have 2 baths not an issue. However if you don't truly need the second 1/2 bath dumping twice is a pain in the ...
I have a bath and a 1/2 and I have grown to dislike the 2nd bath.
I forbid my kids from using it simply because I don't want to dump the second tank. My 1/2 bath is slowly becoming a storage closet with a toilet in it. One day I may remove the toilet.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
I contacted Thor and this was the response

"yes, On that particular coach it was not possible to route the two tanks into one dump station. We try to make it one whenever possible."

So there we have it. How big of a deal is it and are there any pluses to it?

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
MM, the video shows both tanks are on the drivers side and I think you have to drain them individually. It was a little hard with my little knowledge to fully understand it.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3DGSRFWaHI

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
HJ, are the tanks dump valves in the same compartment on the Thor Challenger? Same side?

Our single holding tank allows me the option of dumping from either side of the coach which could come in handy.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
One coach that I really like is the Thor Challenger 37LX. Super nice floorpan and has all thing things we want on a coach without spending a ton of money. This coach is 1 1/2 bath and does in fact have two (2) dump stations, one for each bath.

How much of a negative is that?

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Mondooker wrote:
I had plans for my first day of motorhome shopping yesterday and wasn't able to go so next Saturday will be the time. The question below is one of the questions I was going to ask at the dealership.

I was watching a walk around video the other day and saw something that surprised me, if I saw it right? If you have a bath and a half do you have two dump stations outside the coach? I just thought it would all go into one place.

When you're hooking up and flushing the black tank is it clean and orderly if done correctly or is it a dirty job under the best of circumstances? I've read that this is the worst part of camping!

Thanks guys

You have plenty of answers to your tank question, so as to what is the best method in a 1 1/2 bath model, might take some research.
Now, with the question of dumping the tanks and even though, ours has a single bath, I believe I have it down to max. simplicity and overall cleanliness of the operation.
My hose is always connected.
The last thing that goes through it, is a lot of soapy grey water.
It then gets stored in a zig zag configuration in the same basement compartment that the connections are in.
So, I just pull it out for inserting the end and also use a donut seal, if possible. Release the black water and then on occasion, run the internal spray nozzles, which is OEM and built in to the unit.
Close the black valve when complete.
Next, lift the hose to make sure it's clear.
Open the grey valve for dumping.
Close the grey valve.
Lift the hose again to clear it.
Zig zag it back in the basement.
You touch very little of anything with this method.
No disconnecting, standing on your head or holding it in the air and trying to run water through it....etc...etc...
What I've seen performed at some of the dump stations, caused me to hang my head and not watch, until they were done, not to mention the ones who just have to make a complete mess of things for the next in line.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Tiffin Allegro with bath & 1/2. Have one black and 1 gray tank qne
with a black tank flusher Have only 2 gate valves--one for each tank.

boba
Explorer
Explorer
We have a bath and a half and only one black tank.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Scon/Macerator/grinding pump is 12v which you hook up to the 3" sewer outlet. Some have a grew water bypass so you only run it when dumping black. The 1" hose on it has an adapter back up to 3" for the CG sewer pipe. The only time I use mine is when I need to pump up hill which is rarely. It's much slower which is a consideration when using public dump stations.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"Mondooker".....For many years, the SaniCon macerator came as standard equipment on many Monaco coaches. We loved it on our Monaco and installed one on our Newmar the day after we took delivery.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've only seen separate tanks on toy hauler but never seen that setup on a MH.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Chuckftboy, I see you have the NEWEST HR Ambassador there is! A 2115? I bet it has a flux capacitor as standard equipment. ๐Ÿ™‚

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
My last coach, gas and my present coach, both bath and 1/2 have only 1 black tank and 1 dump valve. I once looked at a 2013 Palazzo bath and 1/2 and it had 2 black tanks and 2 dump valves. One of few the reasons I wasn't interested in buying it.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
99% of the time, dumping is NOT a dirty job, it's just a job, its part of the experience of owning an RV, regardless of what make, model, style, or year you have. You can make it a dirty job, or do it smart and never have any problems. I've not had any problems dumping my TT in years (and I do not use gloves). But the 1% ... accidents do happen.

This last Summer we were at a KOA in Georgia. A CLASS A MH pulled into the site beside us. We were staying 3 nights, he pulled in just for an overnight.

As soon as he set up, he started pulling everything out of one of the MH's bays, where the tank valves are. He told me earlier in the day he discovered one of the valves started leaking, and .... you guess it ... all that aromatic odor filled the coach. He and his wife had stopped earlier to wash out the mess, but since they reached their destination for the night, they needed to dry everything out now. And by the way, there was nothing wrong with the valve, he just did not close it completely after the last dump.

In this case, that 1% ... yes, this was a dirty job. Any time there is a spill, it's not pleasant. But if everything is done right, take your time, take a bit of normal caution, check all your fittings, and hose everything down when your done, it's not dirty! It's just part of RV ownership.