cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batteries

jlmurren
Explorer
Explorer
I have a few questions in regards to the batteries.

1. Do the batteries charge when I am moving down the road?
2. When I am camping without electricity and using the batteries how
long will they stay charged?
3. If I run the generator to charge the batteries when I am dry
camping how long should it take to fully charge the batteries?
Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
jlmurren wrote:

1. Do the batteries charge when I am moving down the road?
Thanks!
Based on the info you provided the answer to #1 is yes to prove this yourself just start the engine and measure voltage on your house batteries should be around 14 v. #2 Based on your described usage your batteries should last about 7 days before they drop to 50% charge at which time they should be recharged.#3 The answer here is you will never want to use your generator to fully charge your battery because it will take too long and use too much fuel to fully charge. You will want to charge it to 80 % for extended stays with the generator and a 40 amp charger which would take several hrs from 50% SOC, then fully charge it when you have electricity with your converter charger. With a 97 Rexhall you probably only have a single stage 5 amp charger built in unless the previous owner upgraded it. If not you will either have to up grade the converter or buy a portable car charger that can produce 40 amps of charge like the B&D charger. Hope this helps.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, when going down the road and, Yes, when parked or camped if you have a solar trickle charger.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
jlmurren wrote:
Ok a little more detail and questions. It is a 1997 class a rexhall airbus. I am brand new to this and have no idea what inverter, etc I have. I do know that there are 2 batteries and they are brand new. Here are more questions.That's a start...need more.

1. Do I have to have the chassis turned off to charge the batteries when I am camping with no shoreline? What do you mean "chassis"? If you're referring to the chassis "batteries", then no you don't as the chassis batteries power other things that you do need.

2. I am always plugged into shore power all the time at home. Will this harm my batteries? Do I need to be disconnecting them?It depends upon the type of converter you have. It needs to have a 3-stage battery charger or it will cook your batteries.

3. As far as recharging when I am camping with no shoreline I will only be using a couple lights, the pump when I take a shower or use the toilet and a fan.Sorry, didn't see a question here.

Normally, our coaches are designed to take care of themselves for the most part. A couple of things you need to know. Older coaches typically don't have inverters...only converters and secondly, not all coaches will charge both sets (chassis and house) batteries when connected to shore power. You need to find out exactly what converter (or maybe inverter) you have. Leaving the coach connected to shore power indefinitely, may or may not be a good thing....again depends upon what converter you have.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camp in the driveway and test it out yourself. That's the only real way to know. All you'll find here is wags.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are no absolute answers but

Q1. Do the batteries charge when I am moving down the road?
A1: usually yes, however this is not 100%, only way to be sure it to monitor them for a trip.

Q2. When I am camping without electricity and using the batteries how
A: Depends on how much battery and how much electricity you use its all math If you put a steady 5 amp load on a 100 amp hour battery than about 10 hours.
Put another battery in parallel with it, the hours MORE than double. Increase the load and .. Well that "More than" applies both ways.
Thus the bottom line is: We can not answer that.
With limited use of lights and furnace they **SHOULD** last at least 8-10 hours minimum.

Q3. If I run the generator to charge the batteries when I am dry

This depends on your batteries and converter.. Ideally the converter should be about 30% of your battery bank's 20 hour rating.. IE for a single Group 29 (About 100 amp hours) 30 amps. This will take about 2 hours to bring it up to 90 percent and 2-4 to finish the job with a proper 3 stage charger... NOTE. again it is a numbers game, Converter output v/s battery need.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wilanddij
Explorer
Explorer
You need to find some kind of owner's manual from the manufacturer to get correct answers to #1. Some MH's can transfer charging from the converter to the alternator and some can't. My Southwind does. As far as answers to the questions about how long batts last and how long it takes to recharge them, as they say, "your mileage may vary." Checking out how the "search" function works on this site may get you to pertinent info.
Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

jlmurren
Explorer
Explorer
Ok a little more detail and questions. It is a 1997 class a rexhall airbus. I am brand new to this and have no idea what inverter, etc I have. I do know that there are 2 batteries and they are brand new. Here are more questions.
1. Do I have to have the chassis turned off to charge the batteries when I am camping with no shoreline?
2. I am always plugged into shore power all the time at home. Will this harm my batteries? Do I need to be disconnecting them?
3. As far as recharging when I am camping with no shoreline I will only be using a couple lights, the pump when I take a shower or use the toilet and a fan.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
1) they do charge as you go down the road
2 Depends on what you are running if it is cold and you are running the furnace, or your fridge has a 12 volt option etc
3) Some here will tell you your batteries will never fully charge using the converter to recharge them. I personally use a battery charger on the house batteries when the genny is running. Then I am recharged in about 3 hours even after running the furnace on 40 degree nights
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

poncho62
Explorer
Explorer
1....Yes, if you have the charging wire hooked up between your truck and trailer
2....Depends on what electrical item you are running...If you have LED lights, they last much longer.
3...I dont know.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
jlmurren wrote:

1. Do the batteries charge when I am moving down the road?Yes.
long will they stay charged?Depends upon type and age of batteries and what kind (amount) of amperage draw.
Thanks!Again, depends on type and age of batteries and also size of generator and how much amperage it puts out.

Sorry, you're just to generalized with your questions....need more info and be more specific.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....