cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery charger

myface
Explorer
Explorer
2001 Brave SE 29A. I am not getting full voltage from my charger. On battery side, I get 12.4 but at the control center - 2 connectors - I get 14.6. Am I missing voltage going to my battery?. It is charging but at very slow rate.
7 REPLIES 7

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
garym114 wrote:
The charger is working as it should. The problem is the path to the batteries.
+1
Use your voltmeter to trace the path to the battery. You will see a big jump at some point. Repair, replace, tighten, clean, or adjust the point of issue when found.

myface
Explorer
Explorer
I solver this problem by buying a charger and hook up to battery's. The original charger is at opposite side that battery`s. The voltage from charger goes to control panel, the trough black 8gauge wire to the front of vehicle to solenoid, trough solenoid to battery cable from front to the middle of vehicle. Why they did not run a cable straight from charger/control panel to battery -only 6 feet instead of 30. Sometimes, I question the sanity of Winnebago engineering.

23hotrodr
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest you disconnect your MH from shore power. Then, clean and tighten all connections from converter to batteries. Pay special attention to battery terminals. There is most likely a circuit breaker just before the charge wire gets to the batteries. Check this circuit breaker closely for no resistance, or replace it. Also make sure minus (ground) battery cables to frame connections are clean. If there is corrosion at the end of the battery cables inside the connection terminals, it will cause high resistance and should be replaced with new cables.

If you have a battery that is bad, you could get a low reading at the battery.

If you still have the original Magnetek converter your MH came with, it should be replaced with a modern multi-stage charger like the Progressive Dynamic models. The Magnetek converters are prone to overcharging the batteries and having bad filter capacitors in them. Make sure your batteries are always topped off with distilled water. The Magnetek converters are notorious for boiling out the water and making dry batteries that then kils them.

Good luck-- Mick
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
2000 Jeep Wrangler

garym114
Explorer II
Explorer II
The charger is working as it should. The problem is the path to the batteries.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I suggest reading about the basics of RV battery charging.

https://rvingwithmarkpolk.com/2012/09/26/rv-101-rv-battery-charging-basics/
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Charging device in an RV is called a "converter". What make and model is yours?

12.4 would never fully charge a battery.

There is often a circuit breaker between the control center and the battery bank. It may have failed (they are often automatic) or it may need to be reset.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Is the battery disconnect in the ON position?
Sounds like reading battery voltage and not charge voltage.
Use a voltage meter to find where the charger (guessing from converter) is dropping out.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker