cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Chargers

RetiredHoser
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a brand or type of battery charger that is more popular with people with motorhomes with 6 and 12 volt batteries? I am in the market for a charger and any advice on what I should consider would be appreciated.
Adapt and Overcome
3 REPLIES 3

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I suggest using the on board converter. If chassis battery does not stay up use a Trik-L-Start combiner. If the converter is poor then upgrade it. Post what you have for best recommendations.

Or do you want a portable for other stuff?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will second Shadow on that.

One note though.. Though I have a couple of GC-2 batteries and when I pull them for replacement in a month or so they will be deceased six volt batteries and it will be sixes I replace them with..

While they are installed in the motor home they are one big 12 volt battery.

With sixes you always treat them as one 12 volt battery except you can lift that 12 volt battery out 1/2 at a time..

I have read many questions about the care and feeding of sixes.. And most all of them can be answered by "They are two halves of a 12 volt battery" so you treat them that way.

Example: Can I replace just one?

Answer: Would you want a 12 volt battery that was 1/2 old and 1/2 new?
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
You would be hard pressed to improve on a good quality i.e. Progressive Dynamics converter for battery charging and maintenance. We have a 185W solar panel which feed a Morningstar MPPT controller which is what keeps our battery happy when not plugged in.
I would not trust out $400 battery to a portable charger and I am sure you have more invested in yours, not the place to cheap out!