cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Issues

mfox20
Explorer
Explorer
Battery History: I have 4 (6V)Interstate batteries that are 6 years old and maintained with Xantrex GS Series Inverter Charger and ProFill watering setup on my 2000 HR Endeavor gasser. I typically stay plugged in year round and keep the water level up about once a month. I have never really used this set up for any dry camping more than 3-4 days once a year and its not really dry camping, really only using the batteries to keep everything running when not running the generator.

I am now having low battery issues. When plugged in or running the generator I am getting about 13.6 volts at the batteries consistently
but it drops to about 10 volts within and hour or two after no genny or shore power. I still have enough DC voltage to run the water pump, fridge during the night.

I suspect I have shortened their life by not ever really charging/discharging them on a regular basis.

My Xantrex main unit and the RC-6 remote panel indicators show "low battery".

Planning to replace all 4 and change my maintenance routine going forward.

Any thought or opinions?
Michael

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Gasser
2013 Honda CR-V Toad
12 REPLIES 12

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
mfox20 wrote:
Battery History: I have 4 (6V)Interstate batteries that are 6 years old and maintained with Xantrex GS Series Inverter Charger and ProFill watering setup on my 2000 HR Endeavor gasser. I typically stay plugged in year round and keep the water level up about once a month. I have never really used this set up for any dry camping more than 3-4 days once a year and its not really dry camping, really only using the batteries to keep everything running when not running the generator.

I am now having low battery issues. When plugged in or running the generator I am getting about 13.6 volts at the batteries consistently
but it drops to about 10 volts within and hour or two after no genny or shore power. I still have enough DC voltage to run the water pump, fridge during the night.

I suspect I have shortened their life by not ever really charging/discharging them on a regular basis.

My Xantrex main unit and the RC-6 remote panel indicators show "low battery".

Planning to replace all 4 and change my maintenance routine going forward.

Any thought or opinions?

I'd buy a battery minder desulphator and put it on each battery. It should desulphate them and condition them. I bet they have life in them still. 🙂
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Normal battry life for those batteries is 7-010 years, mine made it 9,,, I would not be offended with a six year life span.

Sam's club has the lowest price on GC-2's (usually) my new ones are DEKA and doing very well.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Having just changed the oil in my generator today I have to disagree. It took me about 45 minutes. I cut my hand. There is oil on the ground. I have to find a safe place to dispose of the used oil. I have to buy more oil. The generator is an inverter type that is quiet, which means it is ten thousand times louder than my solar panels. Only in dire straights can the generator be used to completely recharge the battery bank which consumes a great deal of fuel. Oh yes, and if I use it--I have to fill it with gas. Of course that can happen when it is raining outside--or when it is dark, or when it is cold.

So, get some solar--and avoid the generator.

mfox20 wrote:
pianotuna wrote:

If you are serious about boondocking add some solar.

mfox20 wrote:

I am assuming I may get a lot more battery life by fully charging and shutting off at the disconnect switch until I need them. True??

Off the grid or boondocking for me means using the batteries for a while and cranking up the generator for a recharge.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mfox20
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

The real answer is "that depends".

mfox20 wrote:

I am assuming I may get a lot more battery life by fully charging and shutting off at the disconnect switch until I need them. True??

Off the grid or boondocking for me means using the batteries for a while and cranking up the generator for a recharge.
Michael

2013 Honda CR-V Toad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

The real answer is "that depends".

mfox20 wrote:

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
You could also add a Battery Tender, or equivalent, that does automatic de sulfating. A battery not getting used in out/in duty cycles, can get after build up. De sulfating will help keep them a bit healthier.

$.02:)!
Smitty

mfox20
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies so far. I do plan to do more off grid in the near future and will stick with the 4 battery set-up that came with my unit.

As far as charging, I really don't need to keep it always plugged in.

Michael

2013 Honda CR-V Toad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

If you never camp off the grid get a single used 12 volt surplus acid AGM and put it in place.

Unless there is some reason, I'd unplugged between trips and plug in 48 hours before leaving. I'd use a battery disconnect switch in between times.
Regards, Don

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doesn't really sound like you need 4. That's usually for folks doing a lot of dry camping. Get AGMs and you can dispense with the watering and hydrometers.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Battery water systems are excellent as long as they are working. If one hole goes dry......the chain is only as strong as the weakest link. Pull all the valves and use a hydrometer. Seen plenty of industrial crown batteries toasted by bad water valves. But it is a trade off industry makes for reduced manpower to pull all those valves. In their case they are running 300 plus 4800 pound batteries vs you or I running one.

Dont those interstates also want a pretty high charge rate like 15.xx?
Trojans are 14.8

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
Your house batteries are toast....Replace with GC2 batteries (interstate) and you can get from Costco..82 bucks a piece is your cheapest way out..OR, you can go with AGM batteries and they will cost more (way more) but no more battery level issues....check out the Trojan site for AGM batteries...
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. Batteries are old. Car battery won't last that last long. Neither do house batteries.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter