cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Batteys

farmingdad
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a 2011 mountain air and the coach battery's and chassis battery's go dn owner night why, the light switchs stay lite with a dim blue light all times I don't no if there is away to cut them off
15 REPLIES 15

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
gutfelt wrote:
ksg5000 wrote:
Have the batteries tested - it's free at almost every tire/auto parts house. The led lights your looking at consume nominal battery power and won't have any meaningful impact overnight on your batteries. It't likely that you have an issue with your batteries +/or something related to their charging.

yes agreed that's what several of us have already posted here earlier

Yep - but when your on the road sometimes the responses you send are delayed so long they become less meaningful.
Kevin

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Res refers use significant battery power but should be good overnight.

Chassis batteries should last a long time w/o charging. Mine are about 40% discharged in one month.

you chassis batterys should never discharge over even 5% in a month
assuming their shut off from any draws .

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
Have the batteries tested - it's free at almost every tire/auto parts house. The led lights your looking at consume nominal battery power and won't have any meaningful impact overnight on your batteries. It't likely that you have an issue with your batteries +/or something related to their charging.

yes agreed that's what several of us have already posted here earlier

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Kevin

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Res refers use significant battery power but should be good overnight.

Chassis batteries should last a long time w/o charging. Mine are about 40% discharged in one month.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have the batteries load tested. Light on switch is very low power and not the cause of your problem. You will have other drains that cannot be turned off.

Type/size/number of batteries in each bank? How are you recharging them - shore power/gen/engine/solar?

Spend $10+ for a digital voltmeter and start measuring and posting battery voltage and you'll learn a lot more.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
farmingdad wrote:
Looks like the led light at switch would run dn an it is a all electric

Like we told you based on your post more than likely the batterys at 7 years old are shot
Led lite switches do not kill batterys overnite or over a month so that's not the issue at all

also like I already told you if somehow you run down the house and the starting batterys over nite unless you do a deep charge on both sets they most likely will run down again especially when getting weak

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those LED light switches use very little power, I would guess maybe around 10 mA apiece. If you have twenty of them in the coach, that's something on the order of 2 Ah usage per night. Yes, it's something, but it's not the main cause of your battery draining--or, if it is, you really, really need a new battery.

farmingdad
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like the led light at switch would run dn an it is a all electric

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First. unless the coach is brand new the batteries may be at "end of life" one of the End of life indications is lack of capacity. A battery store can test.

IF the store can not test six colt Golf Car batteries on their tester wire two in series and test as a 4D 12 volt.. Same specs.

Second: Light switches often have a small lamp or LED to light them so you can find 'em in the dark, not that I've ever needed that even in a room I've never been before (I carry a flashlight ๐Ÿ™‚ ). But they will always have power if

A: the batteries are "CONNECTED" (more on that in a paragraph) or B: you are PLUGGED INTO SHORE POWER.. Either way they have power.

Battery disconnect.. Sometimes this is a switch marked AUX on the dash, sometimes on a control panel inside the RV but by and far the most common place is the entrance.. Positioned so you can reach it STANDING on the ground outside the RV. .May say "Battery" May say "USE/STORE" may say AUX Turn it off (Store is off)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
Might replace all batteries.
Without known good ones you are just 'shooting in the dark'.

Might NOT too.
Spending money on a wild guess is not good advice.

Some simple testing should uncover the cause and what to do to fix it.

No single cause should discharge BOTH sets of batteries.

I could go along with this IF both batteries are the original OEM ones; going on 6 years old now.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Might replace all batteries.
Without known good ones you are just 'shooting in the dark'.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
farmingdad wrote:
Just bought a 2011 mountain air and the coach battery's and chassis battery's go dn owner night why, the light switchs stay lite with a dim blue light all times I don't no if there is away to cut them off

Assume you said go down overnight;
1)once the batterys get low unless you give them a super charge and not simply a surface charge they wont hold there charge
2) the fact the two start batterys and the 4 house batterys both lose their charge is extremely unusual
3) there must be a parasite load somewhere but how it effects house and chassis is a but strange
4) I would start by making sure both sets of batterys are charged up properly then disconnect both sets and let set for 24 hours
then meter them and if their low replace
if there still charged (12.5-12.8 volts) and the house at each over 6.2 volts or so then you have major power draw somewhere
but as said weird its effecting both battery packs though
at 7 years of age it may be you simply need new batterys both house and chassis
an expensive DPMH like a mountain air I would assume it has both a house and a chassis battery disconnect system though

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Until you find the problem this will cure it:

Battery disconnect switch.

How old are the batteries?

Is there water in the batteries?

Are the storage bin lights turned on?

Do you have an inverter?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS