cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Before and after 2011 Coachmen Freelander paint job.

redsuperduty
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some before and after pics of our 2011 Freelander. No decals to fade or peel now, this is all 100% full paint with 3 coats of clear. Cant wait for the weather to break!

43 REPLIES 43

redsuperduty
Explorer
Explorer
The more I look at the pics I've noticed how nasty my wheels are. Wow, gotta go shine them things up!

Hokie_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
WOW

Night and day difference.

I'll be honest, at first I didn't like it, but the more I look at it the more I like it. I also thought that the chrome on the front should have been blacked out, but after looking at it more, actually like the contrast that the chrome makes.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's a cool paint job and takes a run of the mill RV and makes it 100% unique.

FYI, black and that shade of blue are two of my favorite colors. I also like grey, so the colors are ones I actually love. So I guess it's why it's growing on me.

Anyway, NICE JOB and hope you have many many years of enjoying it!

redsuperduty
Explorer
Explorer
Your right ron.dittmer, we used a cnc cut spray mask(a big one time use template) to make sure all the lines are exact and the symmetrical. The perfect corners and edges are all thanks to careful preppers that nip and tuck tape in all those spots. I prefer using an automotive seam sealer under the paint like you see in the bed of a truck, that way it is uv protected by the paint and lasts forever. Clear sealer is common on top of the paint and it looks just fine. A job like mine will take a good shop pretty much a full work week to complete. I probably have pics of my rv in different steps of the process, I'll look tonight. 8k is a bargain to paint a used unit - New units don't have the decals and caulk to remove before you can start prepping, that can easily eat a whole day! The more colors involved and the wilder the design, the more it costs. Mine is a very busy design with 5 colors, most would be a bit cheaper.

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
redsuperduty wrote:
$8,000 bucks well spent!
Ah....Agreed! You've got a whole lot more square footage than our rig has. Sounds like a decent price.

ronfisherman
Now that my MH is 10 years old. I can see where the sun has faded the finish. Painted area still look good. Instead of all the different paint colors what would one look like painted one color like silver?
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wouldn't it have been easier to paint the truck on the trailer, white?....just kidding. I am not good at being funny.

Very very nice paint job!

Back in 2007 we got the full body paint option (roof remains unpainted white fiberglass) from the factory. MSRP on full body paint back in 2007 was $6020 which cost us $4631. Today MSRP is $6450, not much more over 7 years. Someone here guessed $15,000 to the OP. Some of you would be surprised how affordable it can be when ordered from the factory that way. The right RV manufacture with flexibility would likely be able to work out a custom color scheme, but less likely a different pattern.

Someone mentioned how caulking is handled.

A little factory caulking was done on ours over the paint with "Clear" around marker lights and such. You really have to look hard to see it. Very carefully done with minimal use of caulk. They did nice work.

Construction level caulking was done before the paint. We got 3 different color bottles of touch-up paint for covering over such if needed. 7 years so far and nothing needed yet.

I wonder how they paint "with perfection" all the patterns across so many uneven surfaces. They must use some kind of computer controlled method because it is just too perfect. No overspray between colors anywhere, not even in corners and such. It baffles me. Maybe there is a YouTube video somewhere on this.

KristinU
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, gorgeous! How long does something like this normally take? I'm guessing that it is a drop off and wait a week or two sort of thing, right? In which case, one would be best served with a shop close to home (or alternate lodging at least.)
Cheers!
Kristin
2008 Winnebago Chalet 31C
My camping party: me, DH, DS, and 2 DK9s
Our Blog: www.winnieadventures.blogspot.com

svtkev
Explorer
Explorer
with full paint how does it work if you want to recaulk something?
im asking because im considering a paint job on my 91 fleetwood
looks great, totally transforms the unit

redsuperduty
Explorer
Explorer
mlh wrote:
Forgive me for being naive on this subject. Does the body paint prevent and/or eliminate oxidation of fiberglass over the years? I have a 2010 and keep it stored in a covered slip. It still looks very good, but I've seen some that are chalky, faded, etc. Just wondering how it helps with the long term maintenance.

It eliminates the oxidation. Full body paint makes the surface of your RV exactly like the finish on a new car. Say goodbye to the dark stains running down the sidewalls that wont come off, bugs clean off 10x easier and the unit holds its gloss. I painted RV's for 14 years, it's simply one of the best upgrades you can do.

mlh
Explorer
Explorer
Forgive me for being naive on this subject. Does the body paint prevent and/or eliminate oxidation of fiberglass over the years? I have a 2010 and keep it stored in a covered slip. It still looks very good, but I've seen some that are chalky, faded, etc. Just wondering how it helps with the long term maintenance.
2021 Ram 2500 Crew, 6.4, 4x4
2022 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 287BH
B and W patriot 18k slider.

Dieter_Heinzer
Explorer
Explorer
WOW - that's pretty much the only comment that comes to mind. 🙂
- Dieter & Vanessa
The Happy Campers since 1987 :C
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1998 Coachmen Catalina 29'
on a Ford with V10 Triton
48k miles at 8.1 MPG average since bought new.

Freelander11
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing. After seeing your Coachmen, I will begin saving immediately to do something similar to mine. It looks beautiful!

bglz42
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome paint!
2014 Freelander 19CB

Snowman7
Explorer
Explorer
Wow that is a huge change. The paint looks great!

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
redsuperduty wrote:
Its hard to tell from these pics on a dreary day, but the blue is the same code as the race truck I pull behind it.
I was a-wonderin'... Very cool blue!

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics