cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginning to think we should have stayed home.

03_RoadKing
Explorer
Explorer
It all started when I was getting the coach ready to leave, I had it plugged in to cool the frig and was changing the ball size for the trailer, the key for the hitch lock was in the coach. When I was getting the key I thought why not go ahead and move the coach so I can just hook up the trailer. So I did, what a sick feeling when you see the cord ripped to pieces. :S Got that fixed and no more issues until we get to Myrtle Beach. The CG won't let me keep the trailer there because it's 16 inches to long, ugh! We have to take it up to Little River and store it. The storage lot is on a pretty good hill for coastal South Carolina but the guy tells me it's no problem put it anywhere. Well after about an hour and a half I have it unstuck and headed back to the CG. One more problem and we are headed home. Oh yeah I forgot putting the front slide out the drivers seat wasn't up far enough and the slide caught and ripped the back. My brain has been in neutral to much. 😮
Jim and Deb
The Furchildren Abby and Baylee
USAF Retired
2001 Newmar Mountain Aire
21 REPLIES 21

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I have never forgotten anything on the coach itself, but I have forgotten my toad one time in park. I started to pull out luckily the toad was on gravel and I dragged it about ten feet before it hit the asphalt road. I felt the engine groan a little so I stopped. I walked back and saw the locked wheels on my Honda Pilot. Luckily no damage to the transmission.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
It happens. Fortunately I have not had any major issues with our baby from forgetting things. I did drive off once with the 110 plugged in with an extension cord & got lucky because the cord was up in the compartment & simply unplugged as I drove off.
2005 Damon Astoria 3679
300 Cummins ISB 5.9, Allison auto 5 speed

Life is to short not to have a good time and enjoy!!!

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
A neighbour in the RV park calls those "RV Moments". My wife refers to them as "Blog Fodder". :S

To see why, check out our blog.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
We all have trips like that. Hang in there for next time. 🙂
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Finally
Explorer
Explorer
Also, you can use a permanent marker on your laminated list. We always find other things to add.
2012 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2005 Tiffin Phaeton Sold
2009 Lincoln MKX
and Milli

Finally
Explorer
Explorer
We've all had a series of crappy things to happen, so don't feel badly about it. It's pretty easy to beat up on yourself, but try not to. The laminated list is the best idea, and check it without fail.
2012 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2005 Tiffin Phaeton Sold
2009 Lincoln MKX
and Milli

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Two problems:

# 1. To much time between trips. Practice makes perfect. Spend more time taking trips and things will come naturally.

# 2. You need to put a Turkey Wish Bone in your unit, unbroken of course. Mom always said you need one in every vehicle to protect them. Reminds me I haven't put one in the 5er yet, I have about 4 of them hanging by the door ready to go.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Our coach you have to move the drivers seat all the way forward in order for a switch to be tripped and allow me to extend the slide. It is a safety feature that prevents such incidents.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

alkillion
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like Winnie/Freightliner was thinking ahead on this one. My new Forza has a user modifiable checklist built into the engine start sequence. Now it's up to me to actually use it.
May the Forza be with us!
2014 Winnebago Forza 34T
340 hp Cummins
Allison 6 speed
2006 Jeep Wrangler toad

03_RoadKing
Explorer
Explorer
bsinmich wrote:
Don't you get the message about a 5 second delay to move seat and any other obstruction prior to moving the slide?

Yep sure do, but ya gotta pay attention to it and look.
Jim and Deb
The Furchildren Abby and Baylee
USAF Retired
2001 Newmar Mountain Aire

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
I read your post and thought that I was reading about myself. Things just happen. I try to get my wife to keep me straight. Infact that is a "Pink Job" keeping me straight.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
Don't you get the message about a 5 second delay to move seat and any other obstruction prior to moving the slide?
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
You clearly need a vaccination against Dope Disease. The checklist idea is a good one, just don't be surprised if, while making up the first couple versions, you find you forgot something. I'm just sayin' ....

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
YOu need a new bumper sticker

Murphy's law proof.
If anything can go wrong
It already has.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times