cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to hook up 6-volt batteries

alpinedon
Explorer
Explorer
Hey there. I own a 1988 Gulfstream Sunsport RV. When we first got it, it was having electrical issues which culminated in one of the posts on the house batteries completely melting. I just got a pair of replacement batteries and my question is this: How should I hook them up? When we got the RV they were wired pos to pos and neg to neg. I have heard from a variety of sources that this is right and not right. What do you think?
20 REPLIES 20

lostdog
Explorer
Explorer
Me thinks this has gotten out of hand. His original question was about hooking up batteries. Let's clear the air:

If the coach is a 12 volt coach (and I don't know of any 6 volt coaches)then the batteries are hooked up as follows;

If you want to use six volt batteries than hook them up in series. 2 6 volt batteries neg to pos equals 12 volts.

If you want to use 2 12 volt batteries than hook them up in parallel. 2 12 volt batteries neg to neg and pos to pos equals 12 volts.
Chuck n Terri
2017 Heartland 3875FB
2016 Chevy 3500 Duramax
Rica, the old cat
Max E. Dog, the puppy dog
Kirby, the old dog, passed but not forgotten

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
alpinedon wrote:
So, I am considering returning the 6-volt batteries and getting the 12-volters instead. Does this make sense?
No.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
so all of your 12 volt lights/etc. were working fine on 6 volts?
bumpy

alpinedon
Explorer
Explorer
So the 12 volt side of life explains pretty well what I (and my neighbors) think is the root of my problem. The batteries in my RV were wired positive to positive, etc. but were six volts instead of 12. In the wiring diagram from the web site it shows that it shouldn't be wired in this manner.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Search the form for the phrase Twelve Volt Side of Life, only use the number in place of the first word (12)

I like to describe six volt pairs like this.....

-{Bat}T{ery}+

That is one battery, in two pieces (The T in the middle is a heavy duty jumper, like starter cable)

Think of the pair as though they were a SINGLE 12 volt battery, Most all your questions about the differences between the care and feeding of six and 12 volt batteries vanish if you do that.

They are six volt sitting on the shelf, or on the ground OUTSIDE the motor home

But once PROPERLY installed, they become a 12 volt battery (Size 4D if you really want to know)

But it is -{6Volt}--{6Volt}+12 volt if you would like it another way.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

If you don't ever use the rv "off the grid" one twelve volt battery is all that is needed.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

alpinedon
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, so I had my neighbors (I live in an RV park) take a look at both my battery setup and my vehicle manual, and the conclusion they came to is that my RV was originally equipped with 12-volt batteries, not 6. Yet when I purchased the RV, it was wired pos to pos and neg to neg as if it were a 12-volt system. So, I am considering returning the 6-volt batteries and getting the 12-volters instead. Does this make sense?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi alpine,

As the battery cycles the positive plate sheds material. There is space at the bottom of the container. Eventually there is so much material that it touches the bottoms of the plates and bingo, you have a dead cell.

A battery melting may be a different issue.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
it would help if we were told whether they were 6 volt or 12 volt
Subject line.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
alpinedon wrote:
So if they were just really old that might have been the cause of the short? I would imagine these old ones were at least fifteen years old
In the absence of any burned wires, connectors or any other damage, yes. 15 is way over the hill.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
it would help if we were told whether they were 6 volt or 12 volt
bumpy

alpinedon
Explorer
Explorer
So if they were just really old that might have been the cause of the short? I would imagine these old ones were at least fifteen years old

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
alpinedon wrote:
They were really old. I have replaced them with brand new ones.
Good. Keep an eye on the water.. very common mistake not to.

alpinedon
Explorer
Explorer
They were really old. I have replaced them with brand new ones.