cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best way to hook up 6-volt batteries

alpinedon
Explorer
Explorer
Hey there. I own a 1988 Gulfstream Sunsport RV. When we first got it, it was having electrical issues which culminated in one of the posts on the house batteries completely melting. I just got a pair of replacement batteries and my question is this: How should I hook them up? When we got the RV they were wired pos to pos and neg to neg. I have heard from a variety of sources that this is right and not right. What do you think?
20 REPLIES 20

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also, it may not be a wiring short, it could be a dead short internally in the battery. How old were they?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
alpinedon wrote:
So a further question I was wondering is this: Could it be that if my battery isolator was bad it might have caused the dead short?
I don't know, could be lots of things. I'm guessing there was no fuse on the 12v wiring.

alpinedon
Explorer
Explorer
So a further question I was wondering is this: Could it be that if my battery isolator was bad it might have caused the dead short?

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not up for opinion! Parallel adds amps, series adds voltage.

This tutorial may be of some help. 12v side of life.
alpinedon wrote:
it was having electrical issues which culminated in one of the posts on the house batteries completely melting.
That sounds like a dead short.

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
Wiring pos to pos and neg to neg will give you 6 volts with twice the capacity. What you want to do is hook a positive to the coach, the neg to the pos of the 2nd battery and the neg of the second battery to the coach, this will gove you 12 volts to the coach which is what you need. I am guessing that your first set of batteries were 12 volts each hence the pos to pos and neg to neg hookup.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
If you have 12v batteries, then pos-pos and neg-neg is correct.

If you have 6 v batteries, then hook the Pos of one to the Neg of the other, and hook your RV up to the empty connections.
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....