cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to level when the jacks don't work

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
Our jacks are in the process of being rebuilt, but not sure if they will be ready by the time we take a trip later this month. Can anyone tell me any tips on leveling without the jacks? I know our refrigerator really likes to be level, especially side to side. I have 2 sets of linx levelers (orange leveling blocks). I can sort of get level with them. Any tips would be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I've alway's used and carry with me 2"X10" Douglas Fir wood planks 24" in length. I get my wood at Lowes (I buy one 2" X 10" X 8' long) and they cut it for me for free. The 10" planks are wide enough so all of my RV Tire is on the board.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't matter if it's a million dollar motor home or a $100 used pop-up, the principle is the same. Use a carpenter's square and put blocks under the wheels.

I have found the best place to find "level" is on the door frame with a carpenter's level. Hold it vertical against the frame, and use the horizontal bubble. Turn it 90 degrees and the other direction.

Of course with a motor home, you don't have the advantage of cranking the tongue up or down. But still, tires on board or blocks, or Lynx blocks... it's the only way.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Obviously the best thing to do is ask the park owner when you check in for a level site so that any leveling done will be minimal.
If you use the leveling blocks be sure they contact the entire tire tread on both of the duals.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
2X6 blocks about 12 inches long. Cheap and effective.