cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackwoods or Seawall Campgrounds- Acadia NP

roadrat2
Explorer
Explorer
We're planning a trip to Acadia National Park. Anyone have any thoughts as to which is a better campsite? We have a 31 Coachman class c. We plan to either rent a car for three days or use the camp bus system. We intend to spend at least one day at Bar Harbour sightseeing and having a nice dinner. The other two days are for hiking and sightseeing around the park.

Any thoughts, insights or opinions are welcome.

Thanks
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT25SB
2006 F-350 6.0L
14 REPLIES 14

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been to both. Seawall has some first come first serve sites and is easier to get into in the middle of the week and is closer to the ocean. Backwoods is closer to Bar Barbour and all the tourist shops. Both are nice I but prefer Seawall.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
We were at Blackwoods in this past September, fully wooded pull through, nice hikes right from the CG, much closer to Bar Harbor, but not IN the town.
Generators aren't a problem, as long as you're not running it at night, we ran ours for an hour or so during the day.
Next time we may try Seawall. Acadia is an awesome place, and of course the food is part of that. 😉
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

KristinU
Explorer
Explorer
Now that you're talking private campgrounds...a nice one in the Seawall area is Smuggler's Den: http://www.smugglersdencampground.com/

You can hike to the Echo Lake area right from the CG and the Island Shuttle stops at the CG office.
Cheers!
Kristin
2008 Winnebago Chalet 31C
My camping party: me, DH, DS, and 2 DK9s
Our Blog: www.winnieadventures.blogspot.com

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at both Seawall and Blackwoods, Hadley point campground, Mt Desert Narrows, and Bar Harbor campground. We prefer Bar Harbor campground. It is very well kept, clean, and a lot of their sites have more privacy than the other campgrounds. It is on the bus route, and it is the closest campground to the town of bar harbor. They do not take reservations, though, and take cash only. We stayed at blackwoods for a weekend last year, and ran our loud generator for a few hours. No complaints from anyone, although I did apologize to the closest neighbor when they returned from sightseeing and my genny was running. Seawall has lots of mosquitos. The island is really not that big, so you really cannot go wrong with any of the campgrounds.
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
When we were a Blackwoods a few years ago our neighbors were running their gennys regularly. As long as you have a fairly quiet genny and run it at reasonable times you should have no problems.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

roadrat2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. Turns out Seawall is not open when we plan to travel. Didn't realize there are private campgrounds in Acadia. Reading the reviews it seems that lots of folks are put off by the genny, which we usually run for at least an hour a day when we dry camp. Have any of you that stayed at Seawall or Blackwoods caught any nasty stares for running your genny? For that reason we may consider one of the private places with elec.
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT25SB
2006 F-350 6.0L

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
Although we haven't stayed at Blackwoods, we have visited Seawall a couple of times and enjoyed the peace and quiet it provides (except for one visit when a neighbor ran his generator all day while he was off sight-seeing). Here is a report, with pictures and comments, about the campground.

Have a great trip!

WxToad
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Seawall is great. Nice sites (but no hookups), a beautiful park on the ocean is across the street and it's handy to Bass and Southwest Harbors. Do the Ship's Harbor Nature Trail which is close by. Good restaurants in both places, SW harbor has a grocery store.
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I have stayed at both but I'm not sure which was which. One, I think Seawall, was more open than the other which had well defined sites in the forest of tall trees, mostly Spruce?? Both were excellent.

Seawall, I think, has some sites that are not reserved so you can just show up and if a site is free its yours. The other is 100% reserved.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Never stayed at Blackwoods, but have stayed a couple of times at Seawall. The one thing we recall is that it is a great dark sky site. If the moon is out of the sky, the Milky Way is easily visible.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Mt Desert Narrows RV Resort.

Park shuttle stops at the resort entrance. We used the shuttle to travel all over the park. We would get off at a trail head, then at the end of the trail we could catch the shuttle to our next destination. Worked great. Shuttle drivers were willing to provide a lot of info and history as we traveled.

Resort had a coin laundry which was convenient. Right on the water...great view.

I think Mt Narrows RV Resort is associated with 1000 trails?

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
The KOA is the best in my opinion, you can get a site on the inlet. Shuttle to town, clean.
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
I preferred Seawall. Much less crowded, less traffic. Great oceanside hiking trails and a beach. Thurston's lobster pound about 10 minutes away. Bass Harbor and Southwest Harbor 5 minutes away.

If you like tourism and shopping and being in the middle of things, Blackwoods is better. If you like relaxing, fishing villages, and less crowds, Seawall is better.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
check their reviews on www.rvparkreviews.com under Maine, Acadia National Park. Neither have hookups.
Seawall is 35 minutes from anywhere.
Blackwoods has sites that will fit your RV and the shuttle stops there. I would definitely make reservations on www.recreation.gov. You can select 35' pull through site but not the exact site.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi