cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blew inside dual, destroyed airbag and HCV

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
I blew an inside drive tire on the passenger side. The flailing tire took out the forward airbag and destroyed the Height Control Valve.

Getting a roadside tire fix was as straightforward as it normally is. But with the airbag gone and the HCV wrecked there were two other problems that needed a hack before we could leave the emergency lane.

Lucky for me I had a handsaw on board, so I cut two pieces of the 4x4 cribbing I carry, to put between the frame and the suspension to replace the airbag. I suggest you look at your coach and cut appropriate blocks to fit your coach. Cut the pieces so the end grain carries the load. I had pressure treated lumber but I think oak would be stronger.

Next, I removed the air supply to the HCV and capped it, since the destroyed HCV prevented the coach from building air pressure. Of course this was easier with the tires removed !!!

The point of this post is to hopefully help a brother in the future if you have this incident. So, cut these two pieces of wood before your next trip and put them in the coach. Second make sure you have the fittings to cap and seal both 1/4 and 3/8 tubing. That's a handy hack for many airline problems.

Next, David's Commercial Tire in Knoxville deserves kudos for the initial rescue, crediting me for the temporary tire when I chose to install two new Michelins, and helping me get warranty coverage for the failed tire. These were really nice folks, and epitomized customer service.

I chose to replace the outside dual for two reasons, the first being I did not know if the inside leaked pressure which would have overloaded the outside for some miles, and the tires would have been different diameters putting more load on the inside tire which already carries more load due to the crown in the road. I didn't want to wonder about potential tire damage whilst driving in hot weather.

Any discussion about the tire failure is speculation and unprovable. I am happy with Michelin's response and warranty. This is not intended as a thread about tire failure issues.
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad
15 REPLIES 15

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it normal for coaches to sit on the tire when aired down...I haven't seen any but that doesn't mean anything.

I guess everyone has to look at they own situation to see if the MH can be safely loaded onto a tow truck without air in the bag. Since my jacks are between the frame and axle there would be no problem but I reckon every coach is different in that regard.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
Tires were two years old with about 20k on them. There are too many factors in the tire failure to speculate. The point was that less than five dollars worth of wood prepared ahead of time could save you mucho heartache if you lose an airbag. I wasn't trying to impress anyone with my redneck ( I can say that cause I is one) fix, but more to have to offer an idea. The guy who changed the tire didn't know what to do about the airbags. A tow truck was no use. The coach cannot be towed without air in the bags, and if it could be towed then I didn't need a truck.

I hope none of you ever need the precut spacers, but if you haven't lost an airbag you really don't appreciate the impact on moving the coach, or not moving the coach

I replaced the bag and HCV myself in the campground. Michelin covered the tire, and the cost of the parts wouldn't even come close to my insurance deductible.

And yes, a tire monitoring system may have alerted me. I got it, that hindsight thing. I was five miles back on the road from a fuel fill up. If I had looked at the inner I might have noticed something...... If wishes were horses, I'd have a ranch (Lucinda Williams).
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Being an original hill billy I can tell you that we have done so much with so little for so long that we can do almost anything with nothing. Good Job OP

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"Bikeboy57"......Good post on using your head and getting yourself out of danger. Your fix also saved thousands in damage that could have been done trying to dolly the rear axle or dragging it onto a flatbed. It also gave you more time to decide what to do as a permanent repair.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the post and suggestions, like you I try to stay prepared for the problems that arise on occasion.

Pogoil.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Rbertalotto wrote:
No Tire Pressure and Heat monitor?...Best $250 you can spend! Will pay for itself just in reduced tire wear and hopefully you can arrest a tire before it fragments.

Actually I see lots of blow outs that the TPMS didn't go off till the tire blew.
Good job OP. Ours is the same in that it ain't moving far without air in the bags. They do have low boys though.
If I had to carry all these ( what if) items though my basement would just be a tool box with items to fix this or that.
I guess there is some room on the roof :W
If I missed it, how old where the Michelin's?
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
No Tire Pressure and Heat monitor?...Best $250 you can spend! Will pay for itself just in reduced tire wear and hopefully you can arrest a tire before it fragments.
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
On my coach, if you lose an airbag the coach sits on the tires. No tow truck can help you. I did have a spare hcv but it was night, very cold, and I 40 was busy with truck traffic. My mission was to get out of danger ASAP. Yes I have the new tires on the same drive. I wasn't a Boy Scout but I was a scoutmaster
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
So you have two new tires on one side in the rear and the two older tires on the other side?

After two HCV failures, I bit the bullet and carry a spare.

I would worry about differential wear if their not the same diameter.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a curiosity question. Any particular reason you didn't just have Coach net cart the MH off to a service center??

Nice ingenuity on your fix but not something I would even consider along side the road. On the other hand, I could lower the jack for that corner and probably accomplish the same thing...ride would be terrible though.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not a motorhome person...responding just to commend OP for being prepared (he musta been a Boy Scout), understanding his vehicle's systems, and using a little ingenuity.....I, myself, have a 28 year old stepson who, until I recently showed him, had no idea of how to change a tire...

Many in OP's position likely would have been stuck alongside the road until being unceremoniously towed away by a gargantuan wrecker (with, presumably, a gargantuan tow bill).
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
yes I thought it would also
I see all the time people trying to fix or complaining at the 1000s of dollars spent on a tire blowout damage when insurance should cover the repair.. Thats why I HAVE insurance 🙂
Bill

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If you have comprehensive on the MH it should cover the damage. I had a blowout on my F350 3 weeks ago and it mangled the fender and exhaust pipe. Almost $5,000 damage. Insurance covering all but the $100 deductible.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doesn"t your vehicle comprehensive insurance cover the cost of this damage repaired at a shop ( not the tire)?? Minus deductable of course ..?
Bill